The Disreputable History of Frankie…

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

by E. Lockhart

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (cataylor)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (f_ing_kangaroo)
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (zhejw)
    zhejw: I loved both books, but Pessl's is a notch up in language, character development, and plot. Lockhart's is the place for teens to start.
    Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (SheReads)
    SheReads: The strong female characters navigating a boy's world.
    All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin (Runa)
    Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford (foggidawn)

I enjoyed this book immensely. It's clever, subversive, and even the title fights the system. When Frankie, a sophomore at a prestigious prep school secretly manipulates the entire school to do her bidding, she leaves behind the world she has always known. Is her self-respect with the price? ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
4 1/2 stars

This is a book I could read ten times over and never tire of. It was funny, intruiging, and impossible to put down. The writing style is similar to that of Jaclyn Moriarty, one of my favorite authors. I loved how Frankie refused to be put in her place and excluded from the secret society, and how she was a genius mastermind who surpassed all the high-and-mighty boys. I only wish that the book had been longer.

"/> ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
An amazing feminist masterpiece. Also, as someone who spends a lot of time hanging out with guys, a lot of this resonated with me so hard, this bit in particular just fucking nails it:
Most young women, when confronted with the peculiarly male nature of certain social events will react in one of three ways. Some will wonder what the point is, figure there probably is no point and never was one, and opt for typically feminine or domestic activities, leaving whatever boyfriends they have to "hang with the guys". Others will be bored most of the time, but will continue attending such events because they are the girlfriends or would-be girlfriends of said boys, and they don't want to seem like killjoys or harpies. The third group aggressively embraces the activities at hand. These girls dislike the marginalised position such events naturally put them in, and are determined not to stay on those margins. They do what the boys do wholeheartedly, if sometimes a little falsely. ( )
  plumtingz | Dec 14, 2017 |
I enjoyed the word play (if I'm not disgruntled, then I must be gruntled) and the panopticon theme (you're always being watched and that's why you behave.) Otherwise, meh. ( )
  sraelling | Aug 26, 2017 |
Had I read this at 16 it would have really made an impact. 3.5 stars.

Kind of contradictory that she gets satisfaction from Alpha's begrudging praise (who I am somehow picturing as Weevil from Veronica Mars, and Matthew is that dolt-face Duncan Kane. Porter could be Pi, maybe?) Would love a book about her sister Zada. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Frankie faces a generous helping of disappointment, certainly. No princessy happy ending awaits her. But the novel holds out the hope that a girl like Frankie — who has above all an unwillingness to settle —could grow up to change the world. “The Disreputable History” not only delivers the line, but somehow makes you believe it is true.

Lockhart creates a unique, indelible character in Frankie, whose oddities only make her more realistic, and teens will be galvanized by her brazen action and her passionate, immediate questions about gender and power, individuals and institutions, and how to fall in love without losing herself.
added by khuggard | editBooklist

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sirois, Tanya EbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I am not asking that you indulge my behavior; merely that you do not dulge it without considering its context." (3)
For my college friends Kate, Polly, Cliff, Aaron, and Catherine, who know all about golf course parties and midnight adventures
I, Frankie Landau-Banks, hereby confess that I was the sole mastermind behind the mal-doings of the Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds.
Though not, in hindsight, so startling as the misdeeds she would perpetrate when she returned to boarding school as a sophomore, what happened to Frankie Landau-Banks the summer after her freshman year was a shock.
It is better to be alone, she figures, than to be with someone who can't see who you are. It is better to lead than to follow. It is better to speak up than stay silent. It is better to open doors than to shut them on people.
"Secrets are more powerful when people know you've got them," said Mr. Sutton. "You show them the tiniest edge of your seret, but the rest you keep under wraps."

Frankie Landau-Banks attempts to take over a secret, all-male society at her exclusive prep school, and her antics with the group soon draw some unlikely attention and have unexpected consequences that could change her life forever.

Sophomore Frankie starts dating senior Matthew Livingston, but when he refuses to talk about the all-male secret society that he and his friends belong to, Frankie infiltrates the society in order to enliven their mediocre pranks.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible