The Disreputable History of Frankie…

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

by E. Lockhart

Recently added byRay.Gun, ShouldIReadIt, benishkhanx, private library, KaiaKaye, ku., nnschiller
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (cataylor)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (f_ing_kangaroo)
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (zhejw)
    zhejw: I loved both books, but Pessl's is a notch up in language, character development, and plot. Lockhart's is the place for teens to start.
    Bloody Jack; Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (SheReads)
    SheReads: The strong female characters navigating a boy's world.
    All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin (Runa)
    Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford (foggidawn)

I absolutely loved this book!

Not only are the characters and plot exceptionally well written, but E. Lockhart manages to avoid the expected conclusion for most books in this field. Once you read enough books in a certain genre, your mind cannot help but jump towards any played-out ending that most authors insist on sticking to. My mind did that as I read Disreputable History, but I was pleasantly surprised by Lockhart's ending.

I also like the theories explored by Frankie in this book, the panopticon and the various clubs devoted to creative disruptions. Makes me want to plan some pranks or flash mobs. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jul 27, 2014 |
ARGH! I am really conflicted about this book. Up until the conclusion, I was really enjoying it, but I am struggling with its attempt at a sociological message.

I love that Frankie is a smart, strong girl who speaks up for herself and has clearly defined interests. I was like that as a teenager, EXCEPT when it came to boys, and then I turned into a "whatever you want" girl. Looking back, I was miserable, and I wish I could go back now and teach my young self a thing or two. If I could make myself have read this book as a teenager and learned from it to, for gosh sakes, *be myself* around boys, I'd be really happy. And I would gladly pass this along to my daughter with the same hopes, EXCEPT:

I Hate (with a capital H) when women take on the position that choosing to do traditionally "feminine" things, particularly having tried the alternative and finding that being "girly" is what one prefers, is somehow an invalid feminist choice. Wrong. Feminism simply means we insist upon the ability to make those choices, the same way men do, and it embraces them all. If a girl prefers to (paraphrasing here) "stay home and make crumbles instead of stand around with stupid boys drinking beer on a cold, dark golf course," well, can you blame her? And yet, an undercurrent of shame and derision for such choices runs throughout the book, equating them with lack of intelligence or, more subtly, courage or integrity. Shame on you, Ms. Lockhart. For shame.

More reviews at fefferbooks.com! ( )
1 vote fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
Spoilers alert!
This book is great because it is a book that describes a girl who doesn't really fit in. But she has a criminal mastermind that only she can use to get in all sorts of trouble. I would recommend this book to an older and mature audience that likes a mystery and suspence with a twist. I think this is a great book because it involves an underdog who will obtain a secret identity to go behind her boyfriends back and run a secret society of teenage boys. I really liked the way that this book was written, she has a unique style of writing suspense into her books. I could never really expect anything because it was all mysterious and very well thought out.

This story stars out with Frankie being in her second year of high school and trying to make friends. She falls off her bike and just like that, she is helped up by one of the most popular boys at the school. It was as easy as falling off her bike... Then she is 'inducted' into the group of all his friends, they are very secretive about their Secret Society of Bassets, which is a club for only boys to pull pranks at school. Frankie followed them one night to find out what is really going on and when she does, she wants in. So she creates a false identity of one of the Bassets and starts organizing some serious pranks like they have never done before. Before she knows it, she is getting in all sorts of trouble. Frankie gets one of the Bassets suspended under false suspicion and she looses trust of most of her friends. Suddenly this doesn't look like a good idea after all. Frankie writes a letter of apology to the school board, simply putting that she is responsive for all of the pranks and that the Bassets did not get forced into doing any of it, they did it under their own free will.
  GemmaF.B4 | Mar 16, 2014 |
There are things I liked about The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks and things I didn't.

Overall, I really enjoy E. Lockhart’s writing style. She writes intelligently and and cleverly. It’s clear she has issues to discuss, which for many authors can turn a novel into a thinly veiled soapbox speech. Yet Lockhart manages to blend the topics she wants to address with teenage-relevant stories you can actually believe. I love the self-aware quality of her narration, and I love how Frankie plays with language (neglected positives, anyone?).

The thing I didn't like? The ending. Or rather, one specific aspect of the ending. I won't say more here. Full thoughts on Erin Reads. ( )
  erelsi183 | Dec 13, 2013 |
Frankie, a fifteen year old geek transforms her sophomore year at boarding school to become a lanky beauty and the girlfriend of one of the most popular guys in school. She is now drawn into the circle of popular seniors, but still isn’t within the inner circle. Through humor, pranks, and a lot of brainstorming, Frankie becomes her old self times ten becoming the criminal mastermind she was meant to be. Great for text-to-text and text-to-self connections based on stereotyping, bullying, self-identity, self-acceptance etc.; writing prompts; character analysis; point of view; exploration of the feminist perspective etc. ( )
  Backus2 | Nov 30, 2013 |
Frankie faces a generous helping of disappointment, certainly. No princessy happy ending awaits her. But the novel holds out the hope that a girl like Frankie — who has above all an unwillingness to settle —could grow up to change the world. “The Disreputable History” not only delivers the line, but somehow makes you believe it is true.

Lockhart creates a unique, indelible character in Frankie, whose oddities only make her more realistic, and teens will be galvanized by her brazen action and her passionate, immediate questions about gender and power, individuals and institutions, and how to fall in love without losing herself.
added by khuggard | editBooklist

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sirois, Tanya EbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I am not asking that you indulge my behavior; merely that you do not dulge it without considering its context." (3)
For my college friends Kate, Polly, Cliff, Aaron, and Catherine, who know all about golf course parties and midnight adventures
I, Frankie Landau-Banks, hereby confess that I was the sole mastermind behind the mal-doings of the Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds.
It is better to be alone, she figures, than to be with someone who can't see who you are. It is better to lead than to follow. It is better to speak up than stay silent. It is better to open doors than to shut them on people.

Frankie Landau-Banks attempts to take over a secret, all-male society at her exclusive prep school, and her antics with the group soon draw some unlikely attention and have unexpected consequences that could change her life forever.

Sophomore Frankie starts dating senior Matthew Livingston, but when he refuses to talk about the all-male secret society that he and his friends belong to, Frankie infiltrates the society in order to enliven their mediocre pranks.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible