The Disreputable History of Frankie…

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

by E. Lockhart

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (cataylor)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (f_ing_kangaroo)
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (zhejw)
    zhejw: I loved both books, but Pessl's is a notch up in language, character development, and plot. Lockhart's is the place for teens to start.
    Bloody Jack; Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (SheReads)
    SheReads: The strong female characters navigating a boy's world.
    All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin (Runa)
    Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford (foggidawn)

This is to feminism what Nickelback is to music: not.
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |
Frankie Landau-Banks is a sophomore at a collegiate-like prep school (think Chilton with dorms) and this book is meant to chronicle her adventures during this time.

I'm a bit ambivalent about this book. I feel like it was a tease. It had an early and quite interesting twist which amounted to absolutely nothing. Most of the action didn't take place until after the midpoint and it was all wrapped up rather quickly and even a little too neatly.

What I do like about this book, however, is the sense of self that Frankie displays. She knows the type of girl that she is and refuses to be anything else, even for her hot, rich boyfriend. This speaks volumes about Frankie and she proves an excellent role model in terms of accepting and being true to herself. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
Excellent YA book about a girl who takes over a boys-only secret society at her exclusive prep school. ( )
  NinaBerry | Mar 3, 2016 |
The book started off slow and nothing really happened throughout, but I loved it anyway. I love Lockhart's novels.

Frankie is a strong and clever young woman who feels as though she is as deserving, maybe more so, to be a part of the all-male secret society at the boarding school she attends. She is determined to prove that she is more than just a pretty girl who needs to be protected. ( )
  jenn88 | Feb 14, 2016 |
Definately cool. Girls who think! ( )
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
Frankie faces a generous helping of disappointment, certainly. No princessy happy ending awaits her. But the novel holds out the hope that a girl like Frankie — who has above all an unwillingness to settle —could grow up to change the world. “The Disreputable History” not only delivers the line, but somehow makes you believe it is true.

Lockhart creates a unique, indelible character in Frankie, whose oddities only make her more realistic, and teens will be galvanized by her brazen action and her passionate, immediate questions about gender and power, individuals and institutions, and how to fall in love without losing herself.
added by khuggard | editBooklist

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sirois, Tanya EbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I am not asking that you indulge my behavior; merely that you do not dulge it without considering its context." (3)
For my college friends Kate, Polly, Cliff, Aaron, and Catherine, who know all about golf course parties and midnight adventures
I, Frankie Landau-Banks, hereby confess that I was the sole mastermind behind the mal-doings of the Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds.
It is better to be alone, she figures, than to be with someone who can't see who you are. It is better to lead than to follow. It is better to speak up than stay silent. It is better to open doors than to shut them on people.

Frankie Landau-Banks attempts to take over a secret, all-male society at her exclusive prep school, and her antics with the group soon draw some unlikely attention and have unexpected consequences that could change her life forever.

Sophomore Frankie starts dating senior Matthew Livingston, but when he refuses to talk about the all-male secret society that he and his friends belong to, Frankie infiltrates the society in order to enliven their mediocre pranks.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,956,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible