The Disreputable History of Frankie…

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

by E. Lockhart

2,3921752,607 (4)79
Recently added byKhaworth, Danneeness, FOHHL, jsh357, private library, ainjel, arpballew, Catelam, jenn88
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (cataylor)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (f_ing_kangaroo)
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (zhejw)
    zhejw: I loved both books, but Pessl's is a notch up in language, character development, and plot. Lockhart's is the place for teens to start.
    Bloody Jack by L. A. Meyer (SheReads)
    SheReads: The strong female characters navigating a boy's world.
    All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin (Runa)
    Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford (foggidawn)

The book started off slow and nothing really happened throughout, but I loved it anyway. I love Lockhart's novels.

Frankie is a strong and clever young woman who feels as though she is as deserving, maybe more so, to be a part of the all-male secret society at the boarding school she attends. She is determined to prove that she is more than just a pretty girl who needs to be protected. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
In a reading slump? A good YA novel usually helps me out. This one was on The Rooster short list five years ago, before John Green made YA so very, very popular for adult academics. E. Lockhart is writing mates with Green and there's no surprise there. Her portrayal of teens interacting seems pretty natural and a bit precocious which is good, like a Veronica Mars episode. Smart and witty. While it is another New England private boarding school novel, it turns that genre on its head a bit, questioning the whole patriarchy of the private boarding school system with its exclusive old boy networks. Frankie is easy to like and to root for. I hope all preteens read this book. ( )
  Virginia-A | Dec 21, 2016 |
I loved this book. I like the way the author got into Frankie's head. Frankie is smart and funny. She doesn't want to be underestimated. She also want what most young girls want. She is flattered to by the attention of a senior boy. She resents being shut out of the male secret society. ( )
  nx74defiant | Sep 7, 2016 |
This is to feminism what Nickelback is to music: not.
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
Despite all the awards on the cover and the numerous accolades printed on the back, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I liked this book! It was smart, but not too smart; cute but not sickeningly so; and the end was satisfying.

One thing I didn't get, though: the whole ice cream thing in the beginning. I must have missed its significance. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Frankie faces a generous helping of disappointment, certainly. No princessy happy ending awaits her. But the novel holds out the hope that a girl like Frankie — who has above all an unwillingness to settle —could grow up to change the world. “The Disreputable History” not only delivers the line, but somehow makes you believe it is true.

Lockhart creates a unique, indelible character in Frankie, whose oddities only make her more realistic, and teens will be galvanized by her brazen action and her passionate, immediate questions about gender and power, individuals and institutions, and how to fall in love without losing herself.
added by khuggard | editBooklist

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sirois, Tanya EbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I am not asking that you indulge my behavior; merely that you do not dulge it without considering its context." (3)
For my college friends Kate, Polly, Cliff, Aaron, and Catherine, who know all about golf course parties and midnight adventures
I, Frankie Landau-Banks, hereby confess that I was the sole mastermind behind the mal-doings of the Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds.
Though not, in hindsight, so startling as the misdeeds she would perpetrate when she returned to boarding school as a sophomore, what happened to Frankie Landau-Banks the summer after her freshman year was a shock.
It is better to be alone, she figures, than to be with someone who can't see who you are. It is better to lead than to follow. It is better to speak up than stay silent. It is better to open doors than to shut them on people.
"Secrets are more powerful when people know you've got them," said Mr. Sutton. "You show them the tiniest edge of your seret, but the rest you keep under wraps."

Frankie Landau-Banks attempts to take over a secret, all-male society at her exclusive prep school, and her antics with the group soon draw some unlikely attention and have unexpected consequences that could change her life forever.

Sophomore Frankie starts dating senior Matthew Livingston, but when he refuses to talk about the all-male secret society that he and his friends belong to, Frankie infiltrates the society in order to enliven their mediocre pranks.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,414,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible