The Disreputable History of Frankie…

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks (edition 2008)

by E. Lockhart

2,1901622,962 (4.02)76
Title:The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
Authors:E. Lockhart
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2008), Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:Prinz, National Book Award, boarding school, secret societies, feminism, funny

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (cataylor)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (f_ing_kangaroo)
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (zhejw)
    zhejw: I loved both books, but Pessl's is a notch up in language, character development, and plot. Lockhart's is the place for teens to start.
    Bloody Jack; Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (SheReads)
    SheReads: The strong female characters navigating a boy's world.
    All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin (Runa)
    Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford (foggidawn)

@disreputable_history +john_green ( )
  Lorem | Oct 2, 2015 |
I struggled with whether to give this book 3 or 4 stars, and in the end I think I was peer pressured into giving it 4. I really want to give it 3.5 stars. Although I think Lockhart is one of the more talented YA authors in terms of writing style, language and character depiction, I didn't find the plot realistic in this story and that bothered me far too often. I never really believed Frankie's transformation from an unpopular freshman to the girl who is chosen by the most popular boy in school. I also couldn't buy Frankie's level of genius in pulling off the pranks in the later part of the book. Lockhart does a good job developing Frankie's character and describing both her fascination and frustration with the brotherhood mentality, but too many scenarios follow the typical teen book master plan.

1. Clueless administrators
2. Teens having more lives than a cat when it comes to getting away with stuff
3. Cinderella becoming the princess
4. The poor kid advancing straight to the top on the social ladder
5. Teens thinking too much about philosophical issues

With that said, I think there are aspects of the book that model reality very well. Lockhart's portrayal of the ups and downs of the dating scene is spot on with what teens experience every day. The desperation to be accepted, liked and wanted while at the same time figuring out who they are and what they believe in are definitely the defining challenges of the teen years. This is the main theme of the book and it comes through loud and clear. Teens will likely be impressed with Frankie's gumption and cheer her on to the very end. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
This is such a clever book, and so cleverly written. E. Lockhart is a magnificent storyteller.

The book is very full of feminism and social commentaries and stuff that I don't normally like, but it is all represented in a way that makes it enjoyable and logical. Not too extreme, and yet it's all about extremity. It's extreme, but not obnoxious.

Secret societies, secret leaders, secrets secrets secrets. But as this book points out, a secret is only fun if everyone knows.

So much cleverness. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jul 13, 2015 |
An utterly charming, subversive story, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks is sure to delight feminists, word-play enthusiasts, subversives, and anyone who fancies a good prank now and again.

Frankie Landau-Banks is a smart, funny, and precocious young woman attending an exclusive prep school. She begins to date Matthew Livingston, a darling of said prep school, and hangs out with his friends - but always feels like something is missing. Following him one night, she finds he belongs to a secret society known as the Basset Hounds, a good ol' boys club, girls not allowed.

Frankie refuses to accept this, and begins to plot and scheme her way to the top.

The feminist themes of this novel are anything but subtle, but while anywhere else it would come across as tiresome and preachy, Lockhart deftly weaves them into the plot, and dares the reader to be shook - pardon, shaken - up and do their own shaking of the status quo.

It's a smartly written book, fun, humorous, and eschews the tired necessity of most YA novels wherein the female protagonist must have a boyfriend at the end - and that, of course, is part of the message.

For anyone who has ever felt stifled by the panopticon of their lives, this book is for you. ( )
1 vote kittyjay | Apr 23, 2015 |
Huh. Normally I would run away from a book about affluent and spoiled teens at a New England boarding school. Normally I would put down a book the second time I got hammered over the head with the Message. Normally I would not care for a book if I felt that I could not identify with the characters.

However, this story turned out to be a heck of a lot of fun. And somehow I did empathize with the characters, and to even come to 'like' them a little bit. And Lockhart managed to use a charming sense of wit to make all the preachiness become a key part of the story itself, so that the book didn't actually *feel* didactic. It felt engaging and often humorous.

I would definitely recommend this to every young teen or young woman who knows that the work of feminists is not done. Frankie may be becoming, by the end of the book, more aggressive and more independent than most of us would even want to be, but her experiences help us realize what we still need to accomplish. We still need to empower girls to be judged as people. Girls and women can be as strong, clever, brave, assertive, and powerful as they each choose to be. We are to be appreciated on our own terms, for our own sakes. If a boy can play pranks, so can a girl. If he gets punished, so should a girl who has done the same thing. Iow, to remind us of a classic chauvinism, let's just stop it with BS like "She throws good, for a girl." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Frankie faces a generous helping of disappointment, certainly. No princessy happy ending awaits her. But the novel holds out the hope that a girl like Frankie — who has above all an unwillingness to settle —could grow up to change the world. “The Disreputable History” not only delivers the line, but somehow makes you believe it is true.
Lockhart creates a unique, indelible character in Frankie, whose oddities only make her more realistic, and teens will be galvanized by her brazen action and her passionate, immediate questions about gender and power, individuals and institutions, and how to fall in love without losing herself.
added by khuggard | editBooklist

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sirois, Tanya EbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I am not asking that you indulge my behavior; merely that you do not dulge it without considering its context." (3)
For my college friends Kate, Polly, Cliff, Aaron, and Catherine, who know all about golf course parties and midnight adventures
I, Frankie Landau-Banks, hereby confess that I was the sole mastermind behind the mal-doings of the Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds.
It is better to be alone, she figures, than to be with someone who can't see who you are. It is better to lead than to follow. It is better to speak up than stay silent. It is better to open doors than to shut them on people.

Frankie Landau-Banks attempts to take over a secret, all-male society at her exclusive prep school, and her antics with the group soon draw some unlikely attention and have unexpected consequences that could change her life forever.

Sophomore Frankie starts dating senior Matthew Livingston, but when he refuses to talk about the all-male secret society that he and his friends belong to, Frankie infiltrates the society in order to enliven their mediocre pranks.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,668,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible