The Disreputable History of Frankie…

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks (edition 2008)

by E. Lockhart

Member:ejmeloche
Title:The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
Authors:E. Lockhart
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2008), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Prinz, National Book Award, boarding school, secret societies, feminism, funny

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (cataylor)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (f_ing_kangaroo)
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (zhejw)
    zhejw: I loved both books, but Pessl's is a notch up in language, character development, and plot. Lockhart's is the place for teens to start.
    Bloody Jack; Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (SheReads)
    SheReads: The strong female characters navigating a boy's world.
    All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin (Runa)
    Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford (foggidawn)

Despite all the awards on the cover and the numerous accolades printed on the back, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I liked this book! It was smart, but not too smart; cute but not sickeningly so; and the end was satisfying.

One thing I didn't get, though: the whole ice cream thing in the beginning. I must have missed its significance. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Huh. Normally I would run away from a book about affluent and spoiled teens at a New England boarding school. Normally I would put down a book the second time I got hammered over the head with the Message. Normally I would not care for a book if I felt that I could not identify with the characters.

However, this story turned out to be a heck of a lot of fun. And somehow I did empathize with the characters, and to even come to 'like' them a little bit. And Lockhart managed to use a charming sense of wit to make all the preachiness become a key part of the story itself, so that the book didn't actually *feel* didactic. It felt engaging and often humorous.

I would definitely recommend this to every young teen or young woman who knows that the work of feminists is not done. Frankie may be becoming, by the end of the book, more aggressive and more independent than most of us would even want to be, but her experiences help us realize what we still need to accomplish. We still need to empower girls to be judged as people. Girls and women can be as strong, clever, brave, assertive, and powerful as they each choose to be. We are to be appreciated on our own terms, for our own sakes. If a boy can play pranks, so can a girl. If he gets punished, so should a girl who has done the same thing. Iow, to remind us of a classic chauvinism, let's just stop it with BS like She throws good, for a girl."" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Frankie Landau-Banks is a sophomore at a collegiate-like prep school (think Chilton with dorms) and this book is meant to chronicle her adventures during this time.

I'm a bit ambivalent about this book. I feel like it was a tease. It had an early and quite interesting twist which amounted to absolutely nothing. Most of the action didn't take place until after the midpoint and it was all wrapped up rather quickly and even a little too neatly.

What I do like about this book, however, is the sense of self that Frankie displays. She knows the type of girl that she is and refuses to be anything else, even for her hot, rich boyfriend. This speaks volumes about Frankie and she proves an excellent role model in terms of accepting and being true to herself. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
Excellent YA book about a girl who takes over a boys-only secret society at her exclusive prep school. ( )
  NinaBerry | Mar 3, 2016 |
The book started off slow and nothing really happened throughout, but I loved it anyway. I love Lockhart's novels.

Frankie is a strong and clever young woman who feels as though she is as deserving, maybe more so, to be a part of the all-male secret society at the boarding school she attends. She is determined to prove that she is more than just a pretty girl who needs to be protected. ( )
  jenn88 | Feb 14, 2016 |
Frankie faces a generous helping of disappointment, certainly. No princessy happy ending awaits her. But the novel holds out the hope that a girl like Frankie — who has above all an unwillingness to settle —could grow up to change the world. “The Disreputable History” not only delivers the line, but somehow makes you believe it is true.

Lockhart creates a unique, indelible character in Frankie, whose oddities only make her more realistic, and teens will be galvanized by her brazen action and her passionate, immediate questions about gender and power, individuals and institutions, and how to fall in love without losing herself.
added by khuggard | editBooklist

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sirois, Tanya EbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I am not asking that you indulge my behavior; merely that you do not dulge it without considering its context." (3)
For my college friends Kate, Polly, Cliff, Aaron, and Catherine, who know all about golf course parties and midnight adventures
I, Frankie Landau-Banks, hereby confess that I was the sole mastermind behind the mal-doings of the Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds.
It is better to be alone, she figures, than to be with someone who can't see who you are. It is better to lead than to follow. It is better to speak up than stay silent. It is better to open doors than to shut them on people.

Frankie Landau-Banks attempts to take over a secret, all-male society at her exclusive prep school, and her antics with the group soon draw some unlikely attention and have unexpected consequences that could change her life forever.

Sophomore Frankie starts dating senior Matthew Livingston, but when he refuses to talk about the all-male secret society that he and his friends belong to, Frankie infiltrates the society in order to enliven their mediocre pranks.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,860,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible