Giving : how each of us can change the world…

Giving : how each of us can change the world (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Bill Clinton

Member:kclibrary
Title:Giving : how each of us can change the world
Authors:Bill Clinton
Info:New York : Knopf, c2007.
Tags:New books for July 2008

Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World by Bill Clinton (Author) (2007)

3.5 stars

This is a great book to help with having ideas of which groups to donate to match with the causes important to you and also it helps give the reader ideas if you would like to start something of your own. I felt inspired. There really is something we can all do to make our world better. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
3.5 stars

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
This book seemed like just a list of charities that people had done. Some were interesting. But a lot was talking about how with social entrepreneurship you can make a difference in policy that can make giving more efficient. I personally found the book boring. It also seemed like he was still running for office. He would explain how his policies in office improved society and the environment. ( )
  KamGeb | Jan 31, 2015 |
An inspiring book that encourages people to do all that they can to improve the world and the lives of those in desperate need. He encourages people to give to charities, volunteer, or partake in some other good activity that will help those in need. He knows we all can't give vast sums of money or dedicate all of our time to helping others, but small acts of kindness here and there will create a better world for years to come. I did feel a call to action after reading this book and maybe in a small way I helped change the world in a positive way. I know President Clinton is a controversial figure in the United States today, but if you can look beyond his past mistakes and any political disagreements you may still hold, this book truly is a legitimate attempt to make our world just a little better and safer. ( )
  Zissou54 | Apr 23, 2014 |
This audio book was all in all Okay. I think there is an important thing to take note that this was written in 2006, such before Mrs. Clinton was to announce that she was seeking the Presidency. As such I think the Clintons were looking for a way to paint themselves in a positive light as caring people, which may or may not be true.

The majority of the book is giving to explaining why its important for everyone to give. From the needs of everyone's spirit, including all major religions instructing you to, to the betterment of society, to how it makes you feel, tax benefits, and governments ineptness to get anything done on its own. There is a long list of various organizations you can give to, and stories about how each of them make an impact in there own way. This includes two organizations that I support regularly, Heifer International and Operation Christmas Child of Samaritan's Purse. As well as donating time and skills for those who money isn't the best way to make a difference.

However, what was good in this book was pretty much smashed by the final chapter. After spending most of the book telling why YOU as an individual need to give, then Clinton decides to tell you that it also counts if you spend time trying to "change the system" and get the government to give to people. Even after going into long winded exerts of how ineffective government is by its very nature, he somehow tries to convince you that the nature can be changed. He even gives examples of how its happening now, including "up and coming young Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick" those of use from Michigan have always known he was scum, and by 2013 (granted nearly 8 years after this book was released) most of the rest of the world sees so too.

So if you want to get motivated why YOU need to give, or if you have already decided to give but don't want to spend time actively researching which organization you agree with to give your hard earned funds to, then this book is for you.

If you like the pseudo-educated southern drawl of Bill Clinton himself, then pick up the audio book for an even less involved decision making process on your giving. But above all, take the last chapter as a grain of salt at the most. ( )
1 vote fulner | Dec 2, 2013 |
To the dedicated staff, volunteers, partners,
and financial supporters of the
Clinton Foundation, Library, and School of Public Service,
and to the memory of Ellen Verweij, a fine Dutch nurse
who lost her life while serving in our
HIV/AIDS initiative in Lesotho
In every corner of America and all over the world, intelligence and energy are evenly distributed, but opportunity, investment, and effective organizations aren't.

Here, from Bill Clinton, is a call to action. Giving is an inspiring look at how each of us can change the world. First, it reveals the extraordinary and innovative efforts now being made by companies and organizations—and by individuals—to solve problems and save lives both “down the street and around the world.” Then it urges us to seek out what each of us, “regardless of income, available time, age, and skills,” can do to help, to give people a chance to live out their dreams.

Bill Clinton shares his own experiences and those of other givers, representing a global flood tide of nongovernmental, nonprofit activity. These remarkable stories demonstrate that gifts of time, skills, things, and ideas are as important and effective as contributions of money. From Bill and Melinda Gates to a six-year-old California girl named McKenzie Steiner, who organized and supervised drives to clean up the beach in her community, Clinton introduces us to both well-known and unknown heroes of giving. Among them:

Dr. Paul Farmer, who grew up living in the family bus in a trailer park, vowed to devote his life to giving high-quality medical care to the poor and has built innovative public health-care clinics first in Haiti and then in Rwanda;
a New York couple, in Africa for a wedding, who visited several schools in Zimbabwe and were appalled by the absence of textbooks and school supplies. They founded their own organization to gather and ship materials to thirty-five schools. After three years, the percentage of seventh-graders who pass reading tests increased from 5 percent to 60 percent;'
Oseola McCarty, who after seventy-five years of eking out a living by washing and ironing, gave $150,000 to the University of Southern Mississippi to endow a scholarship fund for African-American students;
Andre Agassi, who has created a college preparatory academy in the Las Vegas neighborhood with the city’s highest percentage of at-risk kids. “Tennis was a stepping-stone for me,” says Agassi. “Changing a child’s life is what I always wanted to do”;
Heifer International, which gave twelve goats to a Ugandan village. Within a year, Beatrice Biira’s mother had earned enough money selling goat’s milk to pay Beatrice’s school fees and eventually to send all her children to school—and, as required, to pass on a baby goat to another family, thus multiplying the impact of the gift.

Clinton writes about men and women who traded in their corporate careers, and the fulfillment they now experience through giving. He writes about energy-efficient practices, about progressive companies going green, about promoting fair wages and decent working conditions around the world. He shows us how one of the most important ways of giving can be an effort to change, improve, or protect a government policy. He outlines what we as individuals can do, the steps we can take, how much we should consider giving, and why our giving is so important.

Bill Clinton’s own actions in his post-presidential years have had an enormous impact on the lives of millions. Through his foundation and his work in the aftermath of the Asian tsunami and Hurricane Katrina, he has become an international spokesperson and model for the power of giving.

“We all have the capacity to do great things,” President Clinton says. “My hope is that the people and stories in this book will lift spirits, touch hearts, and demonstrate that citizen activism and service can be a powerful agent of change in the world.”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:34 -0400)

Examines the types of charitable work done by individuals and nonprofit organizations to demonstrate how anyone can make a difference in society through the life-changing act of giving.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,959,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible