Hide or Seek: How to Build Self-Esteem in…

Hide or Seek: How to Build Self-Esteem in Your Child

by James Dobson

Paperback
  pastorroy | Jul 16, 2013 |
I thought The Five Love Languages for Kids by Gary Chapman was good. I thought How to Really Love Your Child by Dr. Campbell was great. This book is even better.

Dr. Dobson begins by explaining how self-esteem can be eroded. Next he illustrates strategies for parents to help their child overcome low self-esteem. There are also "Question and Answer" sprinkled throughout the book which help emphasize the points he is making. Then there is a section on coping with self-esteem trouble. He also includes a section on preparing for adolescents, but I think I'll come back to that section another time--maybe next year.

My favorite part is where Dobson covers the strategy of compensation. This strategy isn't really addressed in either of the "Love" books I have reviewed because it is not a way to show love, but rather a way to teach a child to rise above.

Even though this book came out in the early 70's, the information is still so relevant today that it is almost frightening. This should be required reading of anyone thinking about having kids AND RE-reading at each stage of a child's development. ( )
  jennyrosewriter | Jan 21, 2011 |
This book is intended to help parents and teachers raise self-confident, healthy children. By applying the strategies outlined here, youngsters need not hide in shame but can gain the courage to seek the best from their world. Dr. Dobson exposes the false value system of our society and presented ten comprehensive strategies through which parents and teachers can cultivate self-esteem in every child.
  BethanyBible | Jan 23, 2010 |

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:22 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible