Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon

Death at La Fenice (1992)

by Donna Leon

Series: Commissario Brunetti (1)

The Fallen Angel by David Hewson (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Leon is more atmospherical, more into Italy. In Hewson one finds more action and flashiness.
    Death in a Strange Country by Donna Leon (Smiler69)

English (64)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (79)
Commissario Guido Brunetti of the Venice Questura makes his first appearance in this series set in the tourist mecca. This book is more about the Venetian mindset and way of life than the murder of a famous opera conductor. This wasn't a great mystery, but I enjoyed (most of) it. I have some quibbles with the character development and the reader must be as patient with the slow pacing as the Italians are with bureaucracy. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
The first in her Inspector Brunetti series, Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon didn’t exactly blow me away. The mystery was pretty straight forward and seemed to require very little sleuthing on the part of the Inspector. I really enjoyed the setting of Venice, and because of that I will most likely continue on with this series at some point. The writing was good but not outstanding in any particular way and I never felt very involved with the characters, they were introduced and imparted their information and then they were gone. I have been assured that these books improve as the series goes on so I will look forward to trying another when I am in the mood to return to Venice. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 24, 2016 |
Commissario Guido Brunetti makes his debut in this wonderful mystery set in Venice. World-renowned Maestro Helmut Wellauer is taken suddenly ill after the second act of La Traviata – or so management would have the audience believe. But it’s clear to the doctor who volunteers her assistance that the Maestro is beyond help. In fact, he’s quite dead when she arrives at his dressing room. It quickly becomes clear to Brunetti that there are several possible suspects, and that the victim, while a musical genius, had a very dark history.

I was quickly caught up in the plot, and was kept guessing to the end. I also enjoyed the depth of character, and especially the relationship between Brunetti and his lovely wife Paola. This has been on my TBR for a long time and I don’t know what I was waiting for. So glad I finally got to it; I’ll definitely keep reading this series. ( )
1 vote BookConcierge | Feb 2, 2016 |
Realized after the first few pages I realized that I had already read it but I read on. Commissario Brunetti is an unforgettable character. Who could not love and despair over the setting? ( )
  danhammang | Oct 14, 2015 |
The real main character in this book is not the detective, its Venice. Most of the book is devoted to exploring the city and a variety of its residents in detail. If you have been to Venice and love it, I'm sure you will enjoy this more than I did.

The mystery itself was pretty weak. I figured out what happened half way through the book, although I did not see the motivation until the end.

I will probably try the second one in the series in the hope that the author concentrated more on the story than the setting. ( )
  grandpahobo | Apr 7, 2015 |

Schuurman, TitiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith-Hansen, AstaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tandori, DezsőTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vanagienė, JoanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ah, signor, son rea di morte
E la morte io sol vi chiedo;
Il mio fallo tardi vedo;
Con quel ferro un sen ferite
Che non merita pietà.

Ah, sir, I'm guilty to death
And all that I ask is death;
Too late I see my sin;
With your sword pierce this breast
Which merits no pity.

--Così Fan Tutte
For my mother
The third gong, announcing that the opera was about to continue, sounded discreetly through the lobbies and bars of Teatro La Fenice.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006074068X, Paperback)

There is little violent crime in Venice, a serenely beautiful floating city of mystery and magic, history and decay. But the evil that does occasionally rear its head is the jurisdiction of Guido Brunetti, the suave, urbane vice-commissario of police and a genius at detection. Now all of his admirable abilities must come into play in the deadly affair of Maestro Helmut Wellauer, a world-renowned conductor who died painfully from cyanide poisoning during an intermission at La Fenice.

But as the investigation unfolds, a chilling picture slowly begins to take shape—a detailed portrait of revenge painted with vivid strokes of hatred and shocking depravity. And the dilemma for Guido Brunetti will not be finding a murder suspect, but rather narrowing the choices down to one. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:59 -0400)

When renowned opera conductor Helmut Wellauer is found dead in his dressing room, the victim of cyanide poisoning, Guido Brunetti, the Vice Commissario of the Venice police, must sift through several suspects.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible