Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Kitchen

by Banana Yoshimoto

"When Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen was first published in Japan in 1988, "Banana-mania" seized the country. Kitchen won two of Japan's most prestigious literary prizes, climbed its way to the top of the best-seller list, then remained there for over a year and sold millions of copies. With the appearance of the critically acclaimed Tugumi (1989) and NP (1991), the Japanese literary world realized that in Banana Yoshimoto it was confronted not with a passing fluke but with a full-fledged phenomenon: a young writer of great talent and great passion whose work has quickly earned a place among the best of twentieth-century Japanese literature." "Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen is an enchantingly original and deeply affecting book that juxtaposes two tales about mothers, transsexuality, kitchens, love, tragedy, and the terms they all come to in the minds of a pair of free-spirited young women in contemporary Japan. Told in a whimsical style that recalls the early Marguerite Duras, "Kitchen" and its companion story, "Moonlight Shadow," are elegant tales whose seeming simplicity is the ruse of a masterful storyteller. They are the work of a very special new writer whose voice echoes in the mind and the soul."--BOOK JACKET.Title Summary field provided by Blackwell North America, Inc. All Rights Reserved… (more)

English (90)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (97)
This was such a beautiful, beautiful little book, my heart feels warm after reading both of these stories. Highly recommended ❤️ ( )
  MandaTheStrange | Oct 7, 2020 |
I really enjoyed the main story, "Kitchen", though I was surprised by how suddenly it ended. I wasn't as fond of the other story, "Moonlight Shadow". While it had the same enjoyable prose, "Kitchen" felt much lighter even as it dealt with serious subjects. It was a really unique approach that wasn't present for me in the second story. Though "Moonlight Shadow" did a good job expressing the characters' emotions, I felt that its plot was not interesting and was in some ways quite predictable. Four stars, though, for "Kitchen", and "Moonlight Shadow" was certainly not bad, so it doesn't take anything away from the other story. ( )
  widdersyns | Jul 19, 2020 |
Read, favourite. ( )
  sasameyuki | May 14, 2020 |
This book actually contains two novellas, which caught me off guard as I was reading. Both stories deal with grief and include LGBTQ characters. I liked the first novella titled Kitchen the most, as I could understand a person finding a sense of solace while cooking. The second story called Moonlight Shadow, I didn't care for at all as it was just too bizarre. I don't think the Japanese to English translation worked well in either story but also realize some Japanese words have no direct counterpart in the English language. For now, I am going to refrain from giving the book a rating.
  This-n-That | Mar 5, 2020 |
Beautifully written, one cannot help but be deeply moved by this relatable literary work of fiction. . ( )
  BALE | Feb 2, 2020 |
For English-language readers, the appeal of "Kitchen" lies in its portrayal of the lives of young Japanese.

Banana Yoshimoto won immediate fame in Japan with the publication of this pair of novellas about two bold and guileless women grappling with emotional loss.

Yoshimoto's oriental concision is sometimes idiosyncratic and haiku-like ..., but it's a quality of poignant, dignified resilience that makes this little work worthwhile...

Yoshimoto, BananaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nieminen, KaiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlecht, Wolfgang E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
私がこの世で一番好きな場所は台所だと思う。(キッチン)
私の終り、えり子さんが死んだ。(満月)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,546,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible