Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto

Kitchen (edition 1994)

by Banana Yoshimoto, Megan Backus (Translator)

Member:lkernagh
Title:Kitchen
Authors:Banana Yoshimoto
Other authors:Megan Backus (Translator)
Info:Washington Square Press (1994), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Japan, Translated Work, Short Stories, Death, Mourning, Read in 2012, 12 in 12 Challenge

Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto

English (73)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (78)
I've never heard of this book or author until I read Stephanie Perkins's "Anna and the French Kiss". I ordered two of the books mentioned in Anna and the French Kiss including this one.

Today, I received my copy of the book, it's much smaller than I thought, but can't wait to see what it is about.

I'm half way through the book, and all that comes to mind is one word: "strange". I always have this barrier when reading books written by far easterners, the dragon eyed variety. Their culture is mesmerizing, but for some reason, I don't understand it. I simply can't relate to it, even in mundane emotions... it's as if their feelings and thoughts are related to their mysterious culture. The book is poetic, but I can't give it a five, I simply don't feel it.

It's about death, grieve, kitchens, food, the full moon, first loves, and Transsexualism.

But in all honesty, Kitchen isn't a story, it's about 2 short stories. In the end, this book isn't my cup of tea. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Interesting simple and sad tales. I didn't really know what to expect from an author named Banana, but I liked this quick read quite a bit. ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book very much. It was a very quick read about loss, grief and recovery. Although the book is short, it is charming and thought-provoking. If you want to read a story that you'll always remember and be touched by, this is the book for you.

eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
Simple and beautifully written. Kitchen is a compilation of two short stories with similar themes. Love, loss, grief, depression and moving on. I have never had the experience of reading a short story and coming to love the characters as quickly as I did when reading both stories. I look forward to reading more of her stories. ( )
  Lynsey2 | Jan 15, 2016 |
For English-language readers, the appeal of "Kitchen" lies in its portrayal of the lives of young Japanese.

Banana Yoshimoto won immediate fame in Japan with the publication of this pair of novellas about two bold and guileless women grappling with emotional loss.

Yoshimoto's oriental concision is sometimes idiosyncratic and haiku-like ..., but it's a quality of poignant, dignified resilience that makes this little work worthwhile...

Banana Yoshimotoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amitrano, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Backus, MeganTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaneshiro-Jager, E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlecht, Wolfgang E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The place I like best in this world is the kitchen. (Kitchen)
Wherever he went, Hitoshi always had a little bell with him, attached to the case he kept his bus pass in. (Moonlight Shadow)

Two stories, "Kitchen" and "Moonlight Shadow," told through the eyes of a pair of contemporary young Japanese women, deal with the themes of mothers, love, transsexuality, kitchens, and tragedy. Reprint. NYT.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

Two stories, "Kitchen" and "Moonlight Shadow," told through the eyes of a pair of contemporary young japanese women, deal with the themes of mothers, love, transsexuality, kitchens, and tragedy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 6 books! | Top bar: Always visible