Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto

Kitchen (edition 1994)

by Banana Yoshimoto, Megan Backus (Translator)

Member:lkernagh
Title:Kitchen
Authors:Banana Yoshimoto
Other authors:Megan Backus (Translator)
Info:Washington Square Press (1994), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Japan, Translated Work, Short Stories, Death, Mourning, Read in 2012, 12 in 12 Challenge

Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto

Recently added bybjoelle5, julieshedd, DCL54, mirikayla, Laurochka, CydMelcher, private library
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen

English (71)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (76)
Interesting simple and sad tales. I didn't really know what to expect from an author named Banana, but I liked this quick read quite a bit. ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book very much. It was a very quick read about loss, grief and recovery. Although the book is short, it is charming and thought-provoking. If you want to read a story that you'll always remember and be touched by, this is the book for you.

eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
Simple and beautifully written. Kitchen is a compilation of two short stories with similar themes. Love, loss, grief, depression and moving on. I have never had the experience of reading a short story and coming to love the characters as quickly as I did when reading both stories. I look forward to reading more of her stories. ( )
  Lynsey2 | Jan 15, 2016 |
Plain and simple, touching and hopeful, Kitchen has philosophical asides sprinkled throughout that give it depth and charm. This charm emanates from Mikage, the young woman who loses her beloved grandmother, and from Yuichi, whose mother passes away a few months later.

These philosophical asides have the virtue of being spoken very plainly and grow out of the normal thoughts and emotions of our heroine, Mikage. So unadorned and succinct are they that they frequently achieve a poetry reminiscent of Basho, or other masters of haiku. They even at times approach a Zen state in propounding newly discovered, or newly obvious, truths as Mikage encounters them.

Mikage is a university student in Tokyo when her grandmother’s death unmoors her. She misses her classes, withdraws, and sleeps great clumps of her life away. When invited by Yuichi and his radiant mother Eriko to stay at their apartment indefinitely, her life turns around, and her relationship with Yuichi takes on a complicated, so-many-things-left-unsaid quality.

Ms. Yoshimoto resolves this relationship satisfactorily, but Mikage’s growth in maturity and wisdom constitutes the true treat in Kitchen. This is a brief, uncomplicated read, but its marbling of a young, appealing woman’s reflections and yearnings commend it to the discerning reader. Recommended!

http://bassoprofundo1.blogspot.com/2015/08/kitchen-by-banana-yoshimoto.html ( )
1 vote LukeS | Aug 25, 2015 |
There are many days when all the awful things that happen make you sick at heart, when the path before you is so steep you can’t bear to look. Not even love can rescue a person from that. (p. 42)
Kitchen is a delightful little collection of stories (two of them, to be exact, “Kitchen” and “Moonlight Shadow”) that deals with death and overcoming the overwhelming sense of loss and despair that follow. Maybe “delightful” is the wrong word to be using, but it’s surprisingly not that far off.

The two stories collected here are about women grieving after the death of a loved one--certainly a depressing subject matter but also one that is handled gracefully by Yoshimoto, who effortlessly shifts the stories to a small place of hope before ending with such a sense of optimism that one has to marvel at the craft displayed here. I wondered at how strange this felt to me, that such a dark exploration of death could somehow bring me happiness. But then I realized, why should this feel strange? Why are there not more stories that gives a person this sense of hope? I don’t know the answer to that one, but I feel that the way this subject matter is treated may be one of the reasons Kitchen is worth reading.

At first I was thrown off guard because both of our protagonists sounded like such valley girls (“Bad as it sounds, it was like I was possessed. His attitude was so totally 'cool,' though, I felt I could trust him.”), but it’s not long before Banana Yoshimoto proves herself as a deft writer who is capable of exploring the despair and hope felt in these stories. Worth a read, especially since it’s so short.

In this world there is no place for sadness. Not one. (p. 23)
  danlai | Sep 1, 2014 |
For English-language readers, the appeal of "Kitchen" lies in its portrayal of the lives of young Japanese.

Banana Yoshimoto won immediate fame in Japan with the publication of this pair of novellas about two bold and guileless women grappling with emotional loss.

Yoshimoto's oriental concision is sometimes idiosyncratic and haiku-like ..., but it's a quality of poignant, dignified resilience that makes this little work worthwhile...

Banana Yoshimotoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amitrano, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Backus, MeganTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaneshiro-Jager, E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlecht, Wolfgang E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The place I like best in this world is the kitchen. (Kitchen)
Wherever he went, Hitoshi always had a little bell with him, attached to the case he kept his bus pass in. (Moonlight Shadow)

Two stories, "Kitchen" and "Moonlight Shadow," told through the eyes of a pair of contemporary young Japanese women, deal with the themes of mothers, love, transsexuality, kitchens, and tragedy. Reprint. NYT.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

Two stories, "Kitchen" and "Moonlight Shadow," told through the eyes of a pair of contemporary young japanese women, deal with the themes of mothers, love, transsexuality, kitchens, and tragedy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,253,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible