The Case for Easter: Evidence for the…

The Case for Easter: Evidence for the Resurrection (original 1998; edition 2004)

by Lee Strobel

Member:AbidingPeace
Title:The Case for Easter: Evidence for the Resurrection
Authors:Lee Strobel
Info:Zondervan Publishing Company (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 96 pages
Tags:Christian Living

The Case for Easter by Lee Strobel (1998)

(1) Hematridosis (14)
(2) Roman floggings (15)
(3) Hypovolemic shock (16)
(4) Crucifixion (17)
(5) Core of the resurrection story (45)
(6) The preponderance of eye-witness testimony (76)
  jamesrrouse | Jan 26, 2019 |
This was a thinner book than I'd anticipated. So, I'll say up front that I did not need evidence to back up believing in the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believe it because it is in the Bible.

Lee Strobel is a journalist who went on a quest to use his journalism background to disprove Christianity with evidence. Instead, he found that the historical claims of Christianity have evidence to back them up. This particular book tackles the questions of:
-Jesus's torture, crucifixion, and death
-Jesus's burial in a tomb owned by Joseph of Arimathea
-The empty tomb (disappearance of Jesus's body)
-Jesus's resurrection (being alive again after being dead)
-Jesus's appearances to others after his resurrection

If I was just reading this book, I'm not sure if I'd have been as fully convinced as Strobel is. He presents 3 interviews with preeminent scholars. Some of those interviews quote others who are knowledgeable as well. I guess I just didn't feel it was as comprehensive as some of the other books by Strobel that I'd read. But I do think it would get non-believers thinking and perhaps doing some investigating of their own. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 11, 2019 |
Definitely the shortest book I've ever read, but possibly one of the most important. The author sets out and makes a very compelling and convincing case by interviewing experts in the field on the subject of the Resurrection as described in the Bible. This made a big impression on me, and I hope it does for others who read it as well. ( )
  utbw42 | May 9, 2017 |
This book - a distillation from the author's longer The Case for Christ - looks at Jesus's execution, entombment and resurrection, assessing the evidence of modern medical science and the New Testament, combined with logic, reason and historical methodology. The evidence of the Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles, while contradictory in some respects, is near contemporary and provides more thorough evidence than exists for many other ancient historical events, the essential truth of which are undisputed. Whatever one's views on religion, it is clear that the apostles and many other contemporaries deeply involved in the events of the time sincerely believed that Jesus had died, that he had been resurrected, that they themselves had seen him resurrected, and were therefore prepared to devote their lives to establishing the Christian church. The author and his interviewees find this a convincing line of reasoning and, to be sure, there is much to be said for it, though they are sometimes selective in which sources they choose to emphasise in making a particular point. Ultimately, though, they concede that one faces a choice between accepting this powerful line of argument or accepting the sceptics' notion that it is a fantasy to believe that a man could really rise from the dead. Anyway, interesting food for thought. ( )
  john257hopper | Mar 31, 2013 |
Strobel is an intriguing writer who blends his own journey to faith with good apologetics. The end result is thorough and accessible. ( )
  Bill.Bradford | Dec 4, 2011 |
I paused to read the plaque hanging in the waiting room of a doctor's office: "Let conversation cease.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0310254752, Mass Market Paperback)

Did Jesus of Nazareth really rise from the dead?

Of the many world religions, only one claims that its founder returned from the grave. The resurrection of Jesus Christ is the very cornerstone of Christianity.

But a dead man coming back to life? In our sophisticated age, when myth has given way to science, who can take such a claim seriously? Some argue that Jesus never died on the cross. Conflicting accounts make the empty tomb seem suspect. And post-crucifixion sightings of Jesus have been explained in psychological terms.

How credible is the evidence for-and against-the resurrection? Focusing his award-winning skills as a legal journalist on history's most compelling enigma, Lee Strobel retraces the startling findings that led him from atheism to belief. Drawing on expert testimony first shared in his blockbuster book The Case for Christ, Strobel examines:

The Medical Evidence-Was Jesus' death a sham and his resurrection a hoax?

The Evidence of the Missing Body-Was Jesus' body really absent from his tomb?

The Evidence of Appearances-Was Jesus seen alive after his death on the cross?

Written in a hard-hitting journalistic style, The Case for Easter probes the core issues of the resurrection. Jesus Christ, risen from the dead: superstitious myth or life-changing reality? The evidence is in. The verdict is up to you.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:51 -0400)

Zondervan

An edition of this book was published by Zondervan.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,182,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible