Hard to be a God (A Continuum book) by…

Hard to be a God (A Continuum book) (original 1964; edition 1973)

by Arkady Strugatsky

Title:Hard to be a God (A Continuum book)
Authors:Arkady Strugatsky
Info:Seabury Press (1973), Unknown Binding
Tags:russian, eastern_bloc, sf, read, own, magyarul

Hard to be a god by Arkady Strugatsky (1964)

Recently added byBooksOn23rd, mbvinstrup, private library, kara-karina, drxray21, albany, lisaeves, Rudolfastur, Rtrace
    Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks (prezzey)
    prezzey: Banks seems to have been inspired by the Strugatskys' concept of Progressors. Similar theme, different perspective (Western vs Eastern bloc) - if you liked one, you will probably be interested in the other.

English (10)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (13)
Please read my full review here: http://realbooks4ever.tumblr.com/post/79825867987 ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: Don Rumata has been sent from Earth to the medieval kingdom of Arkanar with instructions to observe and to save what he can. Masquerading as an arrogant nobleman, a dueler, and a brawler, he is never defeated, but yet he can never kill. With his doubt and compassion, and his deep love for a local girl named Kira, Rumata wants to save the kingdom from the machinations of Don Reba, the first minister to the king. But given his orders, what role can he play? This long overdue translation will reintroduce one of the most profound Soviet-era novels to an eager audience.

My Review: It's hard to review a world-famous classic. I have to think the translation is faithful because it captures a voice that lesser translators more often than not miss entirely. The standard adventure plot is fun. In common with a lot of SF written in that era, we don't get a lot of well-drawn characters; in this case only one, Don Rumata himself.

What makes this a classic, then? It would raise few eyebrows today, if it was a new publication. That it is 52 years old makes all the difference; that it is an excellent example of its niche solidifies the place History has given it.

But anyone not already caught in the tentacles of the SF Cthulhu monster might want to pass by without slowing down too much.
  richardderus | Oct 7, 2015 |
....The Strugatsky brothers approach science fiction in a very different way than western authors would and that alone makes it a shame that many of their books are out of print. They make a case for more attention to translations if my opinion. There are many more ways to look at science fiction that what the English-speaking world has to offer. Hard To Be a God is, a book that hides a lot under the fast paced surface of the story. Roadside Picnic remains their best known work but I don't think there is much between that book and Hard To Be a God to be honest. It is a work of science fiction that certainly deserves its place in the Masterworks list.

Full Random Comments review ( )
  Valashain | May 3, 2015 |

Kunzru, HariForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Olson, SarahCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Specht, ArnoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strugatsky, BorisAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sorrow that tortured me, the shame that overwhelmed me, the desperation that wracked my mind, all these I could then feel, but even now I can find no words to express them.

-Peter Abalard
Now one thing I have to tell you. In this particular show you have to be armed to enforce your authority. But you're not to use your weapon under any circumstances. Under any circumstances. Is that quite clear?

-Ernest Hemingway

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,852,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible