Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

A Summer to Remember by Mary Balogh

A Summer to Remember

by Mary Balogh

Series: Bedwyn Series (Prequel 2)

Recently added bymuumi, rena75, gretricht

I must stop reading Mary Balogh historical romances. I just get too irate about egregious anachronisms and 20th century people with 20th century attitudes play-acting as Regency characters.

Kit is pretty amazing, swimming the crawl 30 years before two Native Americans outraged England with their unprecedented style of swimming which the English considered splashy and "savage"! We know he'd been in the Peninsular wars, but when did he have a chance to learn a New World style of swimming from the natives?

And inventing the word "sexy" in a time when "sex" meant M/F --check one, or (I'm sure I've seen this, but OED is being coy) a euphemism for genitalia. That's pretty special. I cannot imagine what that word could have possibly conveyed in that time and place. Balogh obviously knows that it's an anachronism as Kit muses: "sexy. Is that a word? It should be..." No. No, it should not. Not until sex acquires the meaning of carnal knowledge and you get "sex appeal" in the 1920s does "sexy" appear (1929 according to the OED supplement).

This story contains a scene of tree-top frottage (a real Regency lady would have been so surprised by the hero's sudden groping that she would have likely fallen out of the tree, breaking bones and bringing the story to an abrupt and premature end), followed by (thankfully ground-level) incidents of actual sex, in the 20th century sense, with 20th century attitudes. The marital act, only without marriage. Please. This is not how things went, then. There's an outstanding story within the book; Lauren's courtesy and conversational adroitness as she deflects the rudeness of the Bedwyns and reconciles her beau with his family are delightful. That wit and social adeptness is what I look for in a historical romance. Explicit, gratuitous, and period-inappropriate sexual activity, not so much.

I think I will go reread some Georgette Heyer. ( )
  muumi | Jun 11, 2019 |
My 1st Balogh book and I LOVED it! The characters are so wonderful and a quick great love story. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
I quite enjoyed the set-up of this one, but then it got all unbearably earnest, going on and on about everyone's tormented past and tortured family relationships (all of which must be told rather than discovered or shown, because that takes time and complexity). And she got unbearably goody-goody and he lost all his rakish charm and became mawkish...and basically it stopped being fun and became a thin, reedy version of a serious novel of character development. On the bright side, I've figured out that at least in theory, I like the 'letting her hair down' trope--just not this version of it.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
I truly enjoyed this one! "Freedom" is the theme, and we have a hero who cannot free himself from the demons of his past and a heroine who believes she'll find freedom by living the life of a spinster in Bath. It's a very well done version of the let's-pretend-we're-betrothed plot. The sex is hot without becoming clinical, and mirabile dictu we have a virgin who does NOT experience a shuddering climax the first time out.

This is a prequel to the Bedwyn series, and I guess I'll have to read them all now. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |

Mary Baloghprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ascoli, Jordanitsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karin KönigTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Luzia, MargaridaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marini, Robertosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pertus, SophieTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
London's Hyde Park was decked out in all the splendor of a May morning.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440236630, Mass Market Paperback)

“Matchless storyteller”(Romantic Times) Mary Balogh weaves a tantalizing web of wit and seduction in her new novel—an irresistible tale of two unlikely lovers and one unforgettable summer.

Kit Butler is cool, dangerous, one of London’s mostinfamous bachelors—marriage is the last thing on his mind. But Kit’s family has other plans. Desperate to thwart his father’s matchmaking, Kit needs a bride...fast. Enter Miss Lauren Edgeworth.

A year after being abandoned at the altar, Lauren has determined that marriage is not for her. When these two fiercely independent souls meet, sparks fly—and a deal is hatched. Lauren will masquerade as Kit’s intended if he agrees to provide a passionate, adventurous, unforgettable summer. When summer ends, she will break off the engagement, rendering herself unmarriageable and leaving them both free. Everything is going perfectly—until Kit does the unthinkable: He begins to fall in love. A summer to remember is not enough for him. But how can he convince Lauren to be his...for better, for worse, for the rest of their lives?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:05 -0400)

Kit Butler is cool, dangerous, one of London's most infamous bachelors, marriage is the last thing on his mind. But Kit's family has other plans. Desperate to thwart his father's matchmaking, Kit needs a bride, fast. Enter Miss Lauren Edgeworth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,486,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible