Brighter than the Sun by Julia Quinn

Brighter than the Sun

by Julia Quinn

Recently added byweezerluvr, malee1, Carla87, the.bookstack, private library, E111e, camibrite, echobeach09, BethyRoze

Brighter Than The Sun
1 Star

Simply too ridiculous for words.

The hero and heroine have absolutely no chemistry, constantly bicker over nothing and suffer one accident after another - you can't even blame all of them on the villain.

Hoping the Bevelstoke series will be better. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Feb 15, 2014 |
I didn't think that I would get to read about the Earl of Bllington getting a happily ever after. I felt kind when Henrietta Barret (Minx) turned him down. Charles Wycomde is a very charming and lovable man. He is also compassionate, honorable and loyal. I thought he was wonderful in Minx and he is even better in this story. I was able to see into his life and the things that have made him the man he is. I also think that he is much more patient than most men would have been in similar situations. Ellie runs him a merry chase and he seems to love every minute he spends with her. That is the best foundation for a long and happy relationship after all. Even with all the mishaps that hound both Ellie and him he keeps his sense of humor. Charles does have a temper though and it is provoked more than once before the end of the story.

Eleanor “Ellie” Lyndon is practical, intelligent, and talkative. She is also a caring person that loves child and can’t but help anyone in need. She is also more than a little unforgiving for the first half of the book. It takes a serious accident to make her realize that she is going to have to take steps to reform Charles’s rakish ways. I love how she goes about engaging Charles interest the first time. I wasn’t sure he was going to survive that encounter. Ellie is also very protective of those that she loves. She is also willing to learn something new which is a quality that is so rare in people.

This is another quick, easy, and fun read. There are a couple of small mysteries that are quickly solved and add some very funny moments to the story. There are also so some every terrifying incidents, luckily there weren't any serious injuries. Ms. Quinn continues to write wonderful characters that make you want to visit them or invite them home form tea. It is always a little sad when you finish a book like this one because you hate to leave such a lovely group. ( )
  LadyIsis | Jan 13, 2014 |
(Sequel to Everything and the Moon)

October 22-23, 2010

April 8-9, 2010

Cute, cute book... Charles and Ellie are such a cute couple! ;)

July 1, 2007

It was SO CUTE! The bickering between the hero and heroine! HAHAHAH! I was DYING laughing the WHOLE BOOK! All this bad stuff keeps happening to them, and it's just SO FUNNY! I loved it! YAY for Julia Quinn!

And this book was DIFFERENT than others. I was SHOCKED when Charles Wycombe (Earl of Billington) proposed marriage to Eleanor (Ellie) at the end of the FIRST CHAPTER! (The fact that he was drunk may have played into it in my opinion...)

Anyway, so his 30th birthday is in 15 days, and in his father's will, it states that if he doesn't get married by his 30th birthday, he loses everything that isn't entailed to him... which basically means he gets Wycombe Abbey (the family estate) but loses all the money. And SHE is 23—a spinster, by the time's standards. And her vicar father is getting remarried to a WITCH of a woman in less than 60 days. So in order to avoid her, Ellie really has to marry VERY soon. And she has no prospects. So, even though she doesn't even want to THINK about Billington's proposal, she really has to consider it.

Anyway, so they get married—a marriage of convenience. And, like I said, all SORTS of awful stuff happens—the kitchen fire, the plants in the orangery dying, etc. etc. etc... Anyway, it's totally cute—watching (reading) them fall in love. :) ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
One of my major problems in many romance novels is the lack of a feeling that they're really rooted in a particular time. If I have to be told from elsewhere that it's a Regency Novel it does fail to impress. Also I don't really like the covers of these UK editions, but that's easily ignored.

Eleanor Lyndon had a problem, her step-mother-to-be who has decided that Eleanor is to marry or to serve as an unpaid servant. Eleanor is trying to work out what to do with herself when Charles Wycombe, Earl of Billington, falls at her feet, literarally. He needs a wife before this thirteeth birthday (which is soon) and she looks like she will do nicely.

This starts off as a marriage of convenience but they both find that they're more attracted than they really care to admit to. When accidents start to happen to them both they really have to wonder what is going on around them.

It's light, entertaining and kept me reading. Nothing earth-shattering but I will read more of Julia Quinn ( )
  wyvernfriend | Mar 12, 2012 |
The first page of this book is a note from author Julia Quinn in which she explains that this is a "marriage of convenience" story, the type of story she's always loved and wanted to write. I, myself, am a big fan of those stories, so I was looking forward to reading Quinn's take on a classic plot. The plot left me a bit deflated, and I'm sure if any other author attempted this story, it would have earned fewer stars.

Ellie is minding her own business when Charles Wycombe, Earl of Billington, falls out of a tree on top of her. Ellie doctors his ankle and helps him home. Along the way, he proposes to her. Why not? He must marry in the next two weeks, or he loses his fortune. Ellie, on the other hand, is being hassled by her soon-to-be stepmother, who gives her two choices: work to earn her keep or agree to marry one of the men she has doomed acceptable (a horrid list, to be sure). Both Charles and Ellie stand to gain much from a marriage of convenience, and so the two are soon married.

In the rest of the book, the two get to know each other better, discover a plot to kill Charles and steal his title and wealth, and of course, fall in love. In the end, it's very predictable and a bit frustrating. Charles and Ellie fight constantly. She behaves like a teenager instead of the independent woman she supposedly is. There are, however, beautiful moments that make it all worthwhile, along with Quinn's talent for witty dialogue. Fans of Quinn's will likely find it moderately enjoyable, but not quite on par with some of her better works. ( )
  halo776 | May 1, 2011 |
For Auntie Susan--Thank you. --Miss Julie
And for Paul, even though he just doesn't understand why I can't end all of my titles with exclamation points.
Eleanor Lyndon was minding her own business when Charles Wycombe, Earl of Billington, fell--quite literally--into her life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380789345, Mass Market Paperback)

Charles Wycombe, the dashing - if incorrigible - Earl of Billington, needs a bride before his upcoming 30th birthday, if he hopes to earn his inheritance. The vicar′s vivacious, determined daughter, Miss Eleanor Lyndon, needs a new home, since her father′s insufferable fiancee is making her old one intolerable. Destinly has brought Charles and Ellie together - though their match at the outset appears to have been made somewhere rather hotter than heaven

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:30 -0400)

Charles Wycombe, Earl of Billington, needs a bride to keep his inheritance and Miss Eleanor Lyndon needs a home to escape her father's fiancee, but their platonic union of mutual convenience is soon threatened by calamity, misunderstanding, and passion.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,231,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible