Merely Magic (Magic (Sourcebooks…

Merely Magic (Magic (Sourcebooks Casablanca)) (edition 2011)

by Patricia Rice

Member:melhaf76
Title:Merely Magic (Magic (Sourcebooks Casablanca))
Authors:Patricia Rice
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages

Merely Magic by Patricia Rice

Eh. Like most of her books, enjoyable but not a favorite. This is the first of a prequel series, describing how the Malcolms and the Ives first connected (or second connected, I guess, since there's quite a bit in here about the curse caused by the first marriage between a Malcolm and an Ives, many years before). Ninian Malcolm is a witch, and a healer, in her small village; she's not really trusted or accepted (especially because she grew up in the city and only came back to the village later), but she's useful to the villagers and has a few friends. Drogo Ives, an Earl, comes to live in the castle that's been owned, and ignored, by the Ives for - a century? More? - and runs into Ninian. The castle was abandoned after a disastrous marriage and a curse; Drogo doesn't know the history and doesn't believe in curses, and wants a bit of peace and quiet instead of running his whole family. Ninian's presence is not conducive to peace, though. Lots of threads - the stream killing all the plants, Drogo's harem (of cousins and sisters-in-law), Ninian's need to heal and to be needed, Drogo being pushed to marry, the castle's ghost, the falling tower... It was a good read, but the primary trope was my least favorite, misunderstanding. Both (all) sides kept explaining things, and the other side(s) kept hearing something other than what was meant. Overall, eh - glad I read it, doubt I'll bother to reread. I'm not even much interested in reading more in this series, I prefer the later Malcolms and Ives. Though I suspect I will read all of them, at some point. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Sep 21, 2016 |
Totally did not connect with the characters.
  ThesePrettyWords | Sep 23, 2013 |
The Book: Merely Magic by Patricia Rice

The Particulars: Historical Fantasy Romance, Sourcebooks, available both in print and e-book

Why was it in my TBR? Because I wanted to something to cheer me up

The Review:

The blurb:
With exhilarating wit, sensuality, and emotion, bestselling author Patricia Rice offers an enchanting historical romance. When a magical young woman meets a dark aristocrat in a moonlit forest, neither dreams that a strange and powerful love is about to change their lives forever....

My impressions:

I picked this up a year ago, and fell in love. When I read that she had sold the series to Sourcebooks, I got really happy.
Drogo, Earl of Ives and Wystan is a scientist, that don’t believe in magic. Ninian Malcolm Siddons have grown up in Wystan. She accept that she is a witch. Both characters are strongwilled. And they are so different, but watching them carve out a life together was fascinating. There were moments in this book that made me smile. And other scenes made me cry. My heart went out to Ninian when she tried to get Drogo to believe. In her powers, and in his brothers. Despite the obstacles, they get their HEA.
I finished this book with a happy sigh. This is a heartwarming book, not as funny as some of the other books in the series. But oh so good.

Mikaela_l | Sep 21, 2013 |
MERELY MAGIC by Patricia Rice is an amazing,witty historical romance with a touch of magic set in 1750 Northumberland, England.It is a re-issued titled.The plot is enchanting,
easy to follow,well developed and intriguing.The characters are engaging,enchanting,believable and will capture your heart. This is the story of Ninian,a beautiful healer,a little essentic,a famous Malcolm,Innocent,lonely,has little bit of magic and is drawn to aristocratic Drogo.Who is handsome,an aristocrat,an Ives,a man of science,lonely,but won't admit it himself or anyone else,and can't seem to resist the local witch Ninian.After they are thrown together by a terrific storm,Drogo's meddling stepsister,they can't seem to get enough of each other.But they not only face a legend,superstition,danger,lust for each other but they also face Drogo's trust issues,and Ninian's Malcolm family.As the danger and chaos mounts they will have to decide if they trust each other enough to survive the Malcolm and Ives legend,be happy together, and maybe begin a new chapter in with Tales of Malcolm and Ives.This is a fast paced story full of passion,some sensuality,promise of brighter days to come,the end of a legend and the beginning of a new life with love,maybe a little peace,family, full of hope,love,and a little happiness.
This was an amazing story with a little magic,danger and a lot of love.This book was received for the purpose of review from the publisher and details can be found at Sourcebooks Casablanca, an imprint of Sourcebooks,Inc. and My Book Addiction and More. ( )
  tarenn | Apr 1, 2011 |
Patricia Rice is one of the authors I turn to time and again when I want a book that will fill my heart with romantic sighs. I'm excited that this series has been rereleased so I can now read the ones I missed before I discovered her. Perfect for a snowy afternoon. ( )
  VirginiaGill | Mar 19, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451200497, Mass Market Paperback)

Praise for Merely Magic:

"Simply enchanting!...passionate and powerful."-Teresa Medeiros

"Simply enchanting! Patricia Rice, a master storyteller, weaves a spellbinding tale that's passionate and powerful."-Teresa Medeiros, bestselling author of The Bride and the Beast

"Like Julie Garwood, Patricia Rice employs wicked wit and sizzling sensuality to turn the battle of the sexes into a magical romp."-Mary Jo Putney, New York Times bestselling author

Patricia Rice is:

"A super talented author." -Romantic Times

"Enthralling."-Rendezvous

"Fast-paced...witty."-Gothic Journal

"Captivating."-Heartland Critiques

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

Ninian Malcolm Siddons, a powerful witch, and Lord Drogo Ives, a non believer, fight against the odds.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,232,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible