Rage (Alex Delaware, No. 19) by Jonathan…

Rage (Alex Delaware, No. 19) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Jonathan Kellerman

Member:woka
Title:Rage (Alex Delaware, No. 19)
Authors:Jonathan Kellerman
Info:Ballantine Books (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***

Rage by Jonathan Kellerman (2005)

English (15)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (17)
In a host of consecutive bestsellers, Jonathan Kellerman has kept readers spellbound with the intense, psychologically acute adventures of Dr. Alex Delaware-and with excursions through the raw underside of L.A. and the coldest alleys of the criminal mind. Rage offers a powerful new case in point, as Delaware and LAPD homicide detective Milo Sturgis revisit a horrifying crime from the past that has taken on shocking and deadly new dimensions. Troy Turner and Rand Duchay were barely teenagers when they kidnapped and murdered a younger child. Troy, a remorseless sociopath, died violently behind bars. But the hulking, slow-witted Rand managed to survive his stretch. Now, at age twenty-one, he's emerged a haunted, rootless young man with a pressing need: to talk-once again-with psychologist Alex Delaware. But the young killer comes to a brutal end, that conversation never takes place. Has karma caught up with Rand? Or has someone waited for eight patient years to dine on ice-cold revenge? Both seem strong possibilities to Sturgis, but Delaware's suspicions run deeper… and darker. Because fear in the voice of the grownup Rand Duchay-and his eerie final words to Alex: "I'm not a bad person"-betray untold secrets. Buried revelations so horrendous, and so damning, they're worth killing for. As Delaware and Sturgis retrace their steps through a grisly murder case that devastated a community, they discover a chilling legacy of madness, suicide, and multiple killings left in its wake-and even uglier truths waiting to be unearthed. And the nearer they come to understanding an unspeakable crime, the more harrowingly close they get to unmasking a monster hiding in plain sight. Rage finds Jonathan Kellerman in phenomenal form-orchestrating a relentlessly suspenseful, devilishly unpredictable plot to a finale as stunning and thought-provoking as it is satisfying.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Sometimes Kellerman gets lost in the demons he conjures up. As a reader I need to care at least a little about the victims or give me a bad guy that's charismatic so I can at least enjoy the ride. Rage is dark from beginning to end. Creepy and dark.

The Devil's waltz was creepy and dark but had a intriguing villain and plot. Rage's plot is completely crushed under all the weight of the bad and disgusting things that are revealed. This is too much reality intruding in my murder mystery for me. I have a high threshold but enough is enough. I don't mind open ended conclusion or if the bad characters get away with it. I love Minette Walters the queen of the weird endings and bad guys getting away with it for me. I mind when things don't make sense in the end.

For me, the novel jumped the shark when Alex and Milo discover that the bad guy gets the young girls he has in foster care pregnant and gets them to an abortion clinic and gets off on it. This is my limit. For Delaware and Milo to do nothing was out of character. In the end you have no idea why the creep had the young girl murdered by the two boys. Because she was his and he couldn't stand that? It's all theories and conjunctures. Even the execution of the bad guy is botched up in a way because it's again all conjunctures about the motivations of the executioners.
Don't get me started on Robin. I mean, please, no. I like Allison. Robin gets on my nerves with oh, I have this new man in my life but I still want you Alex. At least Allison is honest about her desires and what she wants. I'm a bit miffed that Kellerman is having Robin back in Alex's life. A little miffed. ( )
  writerlibrarian | Aug 25, 2013 |
I read Jonathan Kellerman books years ago and really liked them, and then for some reason stopped. This one I got as an audio book, and find that, for me, Kellerman is perfect for listening-in-the-car. The dialogue is engaging, very interesting and clips along and there is enough of it that it simplifies trying to keep the somewhat complicated plot in mind. This story was bloody and sad, but certainly held my attention and had me rooting for the good guys and "agin" the villain. I thought the ending,which was criticized by some other readers, indeed left a lot of things up in the air, but was very satisfying. I liked Rage so much as an audio read that I went out and bought three more Alex Delaware audio books. ( )
  MarthaHuntley | Aug 10, 2012 |
Totally not surprised that I really enjoyed this novel! I *love* Alex Delaware! My only disappointed was that the book ended : )

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Jul 23, 2012 |
Very confused motivations. Good for 1 time through, but not good enough for the number of re-reads it would take to sort it all out. Very nasty premise. Lots of bad sexual abuse. Delaware is at his best when he ignores his love interests--as the mythic detective should. ( )
  Darrol | Jan 8, 2011 |
To my mother, Sylvia Kellerman

On a slow, chilly Saturday in December, shortly after the Lakers overcame a sixteen-point halftime deficit and beat New Jersey, I got a call from a murderer.
...eight years in lockup is a Ph.D. in bad.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345467078, Mass Market Paperback)

In a host of consecutive bestsellers, Jonathan Kellerman has kept readers spellbound with the intense, psychologically acute adventures of Dr. Alex Delaware–and with excursions through the raw underside of L.A. and the coldest alleys of the criminal mind. Rage offers a powerful new case in point, as Delaware and LAPD homicide detective Milo Sturgis revisit a horrifying crime from the past that has taken on shocking and deadly new dimensions.

Troy Turner and Rand Duchay were barely teenagers when they kidnapped and murdered a younger child. Troy, a remorseless sociopath, died violently behind bars. But the hulking, slow-witted Rand managed to survive his stretch. Now, at age twenty-one, he’s emerged a haunted, rootless young man with a pressing need: to talk–once again–with psychologist Alex Delaware. But the young killer comes to a brutal end, that conversation never takes place.

Has karma caught up with Rand? Or has someone waited for eight patient years to dine on ice-cold revenge? Both seem strong possibilities to Sturgis, but Delaware’s suspicions run deeper . . . and darker. Because fear in the voice of the grownup Rand Duchay–and his eerie final words to Alex: “I’m not a bad person”–betray untold secrets. Buried revelations so horrendous, and so damning, they’re worth killing for.

As Delaware and Sturgis retrace their steps through a grisly murder case that devastated a community, they discover a chilling legacy of madness, suicide, and multiple killings left in its wake–and even uglier truths waiting to be unearthed. And the nearer they come to understanding an unspeakable crime, the more harrowingly close they get to unmasking a monster hiding in plain sight.

Rage finds Jonathan Kellerman in phenomenal form–orchestrating a relentlessly suspenseful, devilishly unpredictable plot to a finale as stunning and thought-provoking as it is satisfying.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:18 -0400)

Psychologist Alex Delaware is stunned when Rand Duchay, a patient whom he has been treating since his release from prison, asks for a meeting to confide a dangerous secret to him, only to turn up dead before their arranged rendezvous.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible