The Dark Highlander by Karen Marie Moning

The Dark Highlander (2002)

by Karen Marie Moning

1,236None6,403 (4.12)37

English (28)  German (1)  All languages (29)
For years I considered this my favorite of all Moning's books (followed ver closely by Adam's story) but this re-read left me feeling pretty disappointed.

The poly here is well dine and kept me interested. I couldn't wait to see how Dageus would be saved ( I'd forgotten the details) and I loved the parts from his POV. Especially his interactions with his family.

What didn't work for me this time around was Chloe. She acted like a brainless twit for most of the book. She constantly put herself in danger, rarely thought before she acted and was, in general, a total peahen. I don't remember hating her this much before, but I admit when I thought about this book at all it was Dageus that came to mind.

I'm sad that my fond memories are somewhat marred by tbr heroine, but I'm glad to know Dageus is still worthy. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
Essentially what this is is harlequin romance masquerading as a new spin on combining urban fantasy and historical fiction. It's not--new or urban. The new edition's cover alone can tell you that it's definitely not historical fiction. ( )
  1stavenue | Sep 20, 2013 |
Oh how I love these warrior-like highlanders and their women! Wonderful story, I love the mythology, and the history, written in a very clever way as usual. ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
I don't usually go for the time traveling books, but this was a good book. Well written, it held my attention and imagination! ( )
  kcoleman428 | Apr 3, 2013 |
I picked up The Dark Highlander after devouring Moning's Fever series. I was so impressed by her style and characters in the Fever books that I decided to try the Highlander series.

It was still recognizably the same author, with the same talent, but the experience just wasn't as satisfying to me. I have a real problem with heros who present themselves as Mr. Big Bad and Scary, then turn out to be knights in shining armor, and that's exactly what Daegus is (in Fever speak: He's no Jericho Barrons). Daegus is a lamb wearing a wolf's coat; or, to be fair, an intimidating but loyal guard dog in a wolf's coat. At first he seems like a borderline villain - he steals valuable medieval manuscripts, he kidnaps the heroine, and, oh yeah, he is the living vessel of thirteen evil Druid souls, and their evil is leeching into him along with their power - but it isn't long before his true colors shine through. Actually, he's using superhuman purity of soul to resist the influence of the evil Druids, he's going to return the manuscripts he stole, and he's madly in love with the heroine.

Chloe was an engaging character, and I liked her, but she was a much smaller presence than Daegus. We find out about her background, about her childhood and the early death of her parents, her Scottish grandfather who taught her to love all things Celtic, about her passions and her talents. She's smart and sweet and courageous. Despite all that, I found her kind of forgettable. I'm not sure why - maybe because while Daegus is trying to save the world AND fall in love, her big challenge is whether or not she'll risk an emotional attachment to a man like Daegus, who seems like a real heartbreaker...for the first hundred pages or so.

There wasn't anything *wrong* with The Dark Highlander, and it was a fine read. It just wasn't my cup of tea. ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
Time is the coin of your life.
It is the only coin you have,
and only you can determine how it will be spent,
Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.
—CARL SANDBURG
In a place difficult for humans to find, a man, of sorts—it amused him to go by the name of Adam Black among mortals—approached a silk-canopied dais and knelt before his queen.
Tom, I have my master's in ancient civilizations and speak as many languages as you do. You've always said my opinion counts. Does it or doesn't it?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440237556, Mass Market Paperback)

Journey to a world of ancient magic, breathtaking sensuality, thrilling time-travel.... Journey to the world of The Dark Highlander. Crisscrossing the continents and the centuries, here is a novel as gripping as it is sensual—an electrifying adventure that will leave you breathless....

I am Dageus MacKeltar, a man with one good conscience and thirteen bad ones, driven to sate my darkest desires…

From his penthouse lair high above Manhattan, Dageus looks out over a glittering city that calls to the darkness within him. A sixteenth-century Scot trapped between worlds, he is fighting a losing battle with the thirteen Druids who possess his soul, dooming him to an eternity of sexual pursuit. When Chloe Zanders, student of antiquities, is drawn into his world, she finds the insatiable alpha male an irresistible lure.Before long, she is caught up in an ancient prophecy that will sweep her back into time to medieval Scotland. Plunged into a world of timeless magic and dark seduction, she will soon face the challenge of a lifetime: fighting thirteen evil spirits for the heart of one irresistible man....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:05 -0400)

While delivering an artifact to playboy Dageus MacKeltar, Chloe Zanders discovers that he is really a sixteenth-century Highlander possessed by a coven of evil Druids who plan to take over the world as soon as they take over Dageus.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible