The Dark Highlander by Karen Marie Moning

The Dark Highlander (2002)

by Karen Marie Moning

English (31)  German (1)  All languages (32)
Captivating and the plot was amazing. I have to read more of these books. ( )
  smilezforbooks | Jun 6, 2015 |
This was probably the book with the best plot out of the series. It was well done and really interesting and I seriously was almost sitting on the edge of my seat wondering how the hell Moning was going to get Dageus out of the grand mess he made. I also enjoyed seeing the main characters from Kiss of the Highlander appear in this one. And again Moning writes another great hero, because Dageus is wonderful.

One thing that really annoyed me in this book was how Moning made Chloe a huge fan of “Touch of the Highlander.” That zapped me out of the story and had me putting the book down for a bit. Also, I’m noticing a trend in events in these books. Like how the hero and heroine always get separated somehow at the end and the heroine spirals into this huge depression until POOF! The hero is served back to her on a silver platter. It’s starting to get a tiny bit annoying. Also, I wasn’t into Chloe too much, while she wasn’t annoying, I don’t think she was the greatest of Monings heroines. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
I had very high expectations for this one after the last Highlander novel. The last one was so good and the ending so intriguing that I was super excited about Dageus. But... I was disappointed.

Admittedly, Dageus is a bit of a dark hero in the beginning. He's somewhat unfeeling and cold, but, of course, all of that just goes away as soon as he meets Chloe. I wanted him to be super dark, on the very verge of being a villain. I wanted him to do things that made Chloe wonder if he was really sane. I wanted there to actually be a reason for Chloe not to love him, but then have her still love him anyway. And there wasn't one.

Chloe is pretty cool I guess. Honestly, most of Moning's heroine's kind of run together. Especially when they start meeting each other. It's bad enough that Dageus and Drustan are actual twins, but then Gwen and Chloe... I get everyone mixed up so much. Honestly the only way I differentiate Gwen and Chloe are their hairstyles: Gwen has bangs, Chloe has curls. But they're both short, curvy, smart, curious, outspoken, awkward, and feisty.

Maybe I'm just getting sick of the wanton-lady-hidden-in-a-virgin romance heroine. Although I will say that one very common romance ending is avoided this time around, which I found quite interesting.

Oh, and one more thing that annoys me: at one point Chloe says that she's like, a die-hard Buffy fan. Um, no you're not. If you're a die-hard Buffy fan, you would've mentioned Buffy more than twice in the 370 page novel. Don't make me laugh.

Though the quotes preceding each section of the book are nice. Props for the Picard quote. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Apr 29, 2014 |
For years I considered this my favorite of all Moning's books (followed ver closely by Adam's story) but this re-read left me feeling pretty disappointed.

The poly here is well dine and kept me interested. I couldn't wait to see how Dageus would be saved ( I'd forgotten the details) and I loved the parts from his POV. Especially his interactions with his family.

What didn't work for me this time around was Chloe. She acted like a brainless twit for most of the book. She constantly put herself in danger, rarely thought before she acted and was, in general, a total peahen. I don't remember hating her this much before, but I admit when I thought about this book at all it was Dageus that came to mind.

I'm sad that my fond memories are somewhat marred by tbr heroine, but I'm glad to know Dageus is still worthy. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
Essentially what this is is harlequin romance masquerading as a new spin on combining urban fantasy and historical fiction. It's not--new or urban. The new edition's cover alone can tell you that it's definitely not historical fiction. ( )
  1stavenue | Sep 20, 2013 |
Time is the coin of your life.
It is the only coin you have,
and only you can determine how it will be spent,
Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.
—CARL SANDBURG
In a place difficult for humans to find, a man, of sorts—it amused him to go by the name of Adam Black among mortals—approached a silk-canopied dais and knelt before his queen.
Tom, I have my master's in ancient civilizations and speak as many languages as you do. You've always said my opinion counts. Does it or doesn't it?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440237556, Mass Market Paperback)

Journey to a world of ancient magic, breathtaking sensuality, thrilling time-travel.... Journey to the world of The Dark Highlander. Crisscrossing the continents and the centuries, here is a novel as gripping as it is sensual—an electrifying adventure that will leave you breathless....

I am Dageus MacKeltar, a man with one good conscience and thirteen bad ones, driven to sate my darkest desires…

From his penthouse lair high above Manhattan, Dageus looks out over a glittering city that calls to the darkness within him. A sixteenth-century Scot trapped between worlds, he is fighting a losing battle with the thirteen Druids who possess his soul, dooming him to an eternity of sexual pursuit. When Chloe Zanders, student of antiquities, is drawn into his world, she finds the insatiable alpha male an irresistible lure.Before long, she is caught up in an ancient prophecy that will sweep her back into time to medieval Scotland. Plunged into a world of timeless magic and dark seduction, she will soon face the challenge of a lifetime: fighting thirteen evil spirits for the heart of one irresistible man....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:15 -0400)

While delivering an artifact to playboy Dageus MacKeltar, Chloe Zanders discovers that he is really a sixteenth-century Highlander possessed by a coven of evil Druids who plan to take over the world as soon as they take over Dageus.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,962,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible