The Dark Highlander by Karen Marie Moning

The Dark Highlander (2002)

by Karen Marie Moning

English (35)  German (1)  All languages (36)
Ok Daegus is now tied for my favorite book with his twin brother! I loved this book. From the very beginning you're drawn into this world where a man with evil inside him desperately tries to fight it and find a way to rid himself of it. Enter the innocent nerd who completely entrances him! It's a self-proclaimed nerd's fantasy!! We get more time travel, which I'm loving! We get to see Drustan and Gwen again, and even better we get to see Silvan and Nell and see what happened with them after Gwen got sent back! The whole of the book was packed with mystery, romance and a sense of foreboding. And those pesky Fae are messing in things again! A must read for any Moning fan! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
The Dark Highlander by Karen Marie Moning
Book #5 Highlander Series
Source: Purchase
My Rating: 4½/5 stars
My Review:

Chloe Zanders is so not happy about her current situation. She has been told she will be loaning a rare book to a wealthy patron, she will be happy about it, and she will be the one to deliver it to said patron. Yeah, because this is exactly why she went to school and earned that degree. Since her good looks and winning personality aren’t going to pay the bills, Chloe has no choice but to do as her boss says which is exactly how she has found herself searching the home of one Dageus MacKeltar.

When Dageus MacKeltar returns home to find a shapely pair of legs and one fine ass sticking out from underneath his bed, he is understandably and at once confused and excited. When he pulls the feisty little minx out from under his bed and she threatens to take the ancient (and recently stolen! OK, borrowed) books he has stashed there and turn in him, well, he does the only thing a rational man can do, he ties her to the bed. Since breaking his sacred vow to save his brother, Dageus has been searching for a way to expel the spirits of the thirteen dark Druids who now possess him. The ancient books are vital to his mission and if he can’t find a way to be rid them, the world is in for one hell of an ass whipping. To make matters far, far worse, Dageus now has a “prisoner” he is fiercely attracted to and there is an ancient, super-secret, wretchedly awful group that is working toward helping Dageus unleash the bad that now possess him.

Chloe knows she should be frightened beyond reason by the sexy and brooding thief (OK, borrower!) who has taken her hostage but she can’t seem to drum up much fear. Sure, she’s tied to the bed but the bed is big and soft, Dageus feeds her really well, and the times she is free to roam around leave her lusting for both the man and the artifacts he has in his home. Additionally, the more he talks about the ancient texts he has (and will totally return!) the more intrigued she is by his “work.” Though she doesn’t know exactly what he’s involved with, Chloe does know her education can be put to good use if he will allow her to help. In no time flat, Chloe finds herself whisked away to Scotland and on the hunt to help save the man she is coming to like more and more each day.

Chloe and Dageus don’t just travel to Scotland, they travel through Scotland’s centuries back to the time and place of Dageus’s birth. Living with his family (his delightful father, stepmother, and half-siblings) is as exciting as it is rewarding for Chloe. Her love of history and artifacts is indulged at every turn and her time with Dageus’s family is the best she has ever had. The family readily accepts Chloe and Dageus will too once he realizes she will stand by him, 12 nasty souls or no. The search for an answer and a plan is hatched within the walls of the castle and when push comes to shove, Chloe is ready and willing to help Dageus defeat the most significant forces he has ever known. What neither are prepared for is what they will have to give up in order to save one man’s soul and the world from true evil.
The Bottom Line: LOVED. THIS. BOOK. This series just keeps getting stronger the further I go and I was wrapped up in this one from page one. It helped significantly that Moning continued the MacKeltar’s story in this read rather than putting it off for another book or two. I very much appreciated the smooth easy slide from Drustan and Gwen’s story right into Dageus and Chloe’s. Once again, the time travel element didn’t really bother me (like it normally would minus a Tardis) because of the characters. Going back to Dageus’s home and getting the follow-up to his father and Nell’s story was so heartwarming and welcome and the jump back into the present brings Drustan and Gwen even further into the story which is just as welcome. In all, this book has a bit of everything I like: a feisty as hell heroine, a smoking hot, dark yet caring hero, some fine naughty bits, and just enough paranormal drama and action to keep me involved and not overwhelmed. ( )
  arthistorychick | Dec 20, 2015 |
3.5 stars. I think it was a good story.... I look forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
Captivating and the plot was amazing. I have to read more of these books. ( )
  smilezforbooks | Jun 6, 2015 |
Time is the coin of your life.
It is the only coin you have,
and only you can determine how it will be spent,
Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.
—CARL SANDBURG
In a place difficult for humans to find, a man, of sorts—it amused him to go by the name of Adam Black among mortals—approached a silk-canopied dais and knelt before his queen.
Tom, I have my master's in ancient civilizations and speak as many languages as you do. You've always said my opinion counts. Does it or doesn't it?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440237556, Mass Market Paperback)

Journey to a world of ancient magic, breathtaking sensuality, thrilling time-travel.... Journey to the world of The Dark Highlander. Crisscrossing the continents and the centuries, here is a novel as gripping as it is sensual—an electrifying adventure that will leave you breathless....

I am Dageus MacKeltar, a man with one good conscience and thirteen bad ones, driven to sate my darkest desires…

From his penthouse lair high above Manhattan, Dageus looks out over a glittering city that calls to the darkness within him. A sixteenth-century Scot trapped between worlds, he is fighting a losing battle with the thirteen Druids who possess his soul, dooming him to an eternity of sexual pursuit. When Chloe Zanders, student of antiquities, is drawn into his world, she finds the insatiable alpha male an irresistible lure.Before long, she is caught up in an ancient prophecy that will sweep her back into time to medieval Scotland. Plunged into a world of timeless magic and dark seduction, she will soon face the challenge of a lifetime: fighting thirteen evil spirits for the heart of one irresistible man....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:15 -0400)

While delivering an artifact to playboy Dageus MacKeltar, Chloe Zanders discovers that he is really a sixteenth-century Highlander possessed by a coven of evil Druids who plan to take over the world as soon as they take over Dageus.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,815,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible