Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements

Things Not Seen (2002)

by Andrew Clements

Summary: The story of a 15-year-old boy named Bobby who wakes up on morning in his Chicago home, completely blind. Bobby's parents work on finding a solution to the problem and Bobby begins to enjoy the world through different perspectives. He runs into a girl named Alicia who is blind. They begin to be friends and understand that what's on the inside matters most. Bobby is comforted because even though nobody can see him, there are still people in his life that care about him.

Personal reflection: I liked the message in this book because it teaches important concepts like acceptance and love. I also liked it because the main character is invisible, which makes the book fun and interesting to read.

Class use: Read a chapter a day to the class and ask students to write an essay about how they would feel if they were invisible. Would it ever get old? Why?
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 30, 2015 |
Andrew Clements never fails to intrigue in his grades 4-6 books. My girls and I enjoyed this book -- looking beyond the actual plot to extracting passages for a happier way to live. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
(6.2)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
the cover .. and what can I say about the cover
"It's Awesome !"

and the story is Great ! it what makes me love READING ;)

a quote from the book : :'(
“The cab is crawling through afternoon traffic. I’m three feet away from two other people, and I can’t talk to either of them. I’ve never felt so alone.” ( )
  Soplada | Feb 27, 2014 |
This one was hard to get through. it dragged. . . . and then it was good, and then it ended. It is hard to embrace all this disappearing business.
  AbundaBookworms | Feb 18, 2014 |
It's a Tuesday morning in February, and I get up as usual, and I stumble into the bathroom to take a shower in the dark.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142407313, Paperback)

Teens, especially those not in the über-popular set, know all about feeling invisible. But what would happen if you actually did wake up invisible one day? Fifteen-year-old Bobby is faced with this curious predicament in Andrew Clements's compelling novel Things Not Seen. Doing his best to adapt, Bobby informs his parents and grows more and more frustrated as they try to control his (unseen) life. Attempting to take matters in his own hands, he ventures out--naked--to the library, where he meets a blind girl who becomes a natural confidant. The ensuing drama, involving a nationwide search for other invisible people and a break-in to the computer database at Sears, Roebuck legal department headquarters ("News flash: Invisible people make excellent spies and thieves") is authentic enough in detail to allow readers to overlook the nuttiness of it all. Teens will identify with Bobby's experience of being essentially invisible. Highly recommended. (Ages 11 to 15) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:41 -0400)

"Teens, especially those not in the uber-popular set, know all about feeling invisible. But what would happen if you actually did wake up invisible one day? Fifteen-year-old Bobby is faced with this curious predicament....Doing his best to adapt, Bobby informs his parents and grows more and more frustrated as they try to control his (unseen) life. Attempting to take matters in his own hands, he ventures out--naked--to the library, where he meets a blind girl who becomes a natural confidant. The ensuing drama [involves] a nationwide search for other invisible people and a break-in to the computer database at Sears & Roebuck legal department"--Amazon.com.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,475,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible