Ham, the astrochimp by Richard Hilliard

Ham, the astrochimp (edition 2007)

by Richard Hilliard

Member:jojamo
Title:Ham, the astrochimp
Authors:Richard Hilliard
Info:Honesdale, Pa. : Boyds Mills Press, 2007.
Rating:*****
Tags:Non-fiction, chimpanzee, space flight, biography

Ham The Astrochimp by Richard Hilliard

I was attracted to this book because I wanted to learn more about Ham and the mission he was sent on. I have wondered about him in the past and was saddened but not surprised to find out that he died a long time ago when I googled him. It's just sad to think that no other animals have gone to space recently. Besides that he is dead I didn't know anything about Ham before reading the book (not even his name, which made me smile) so it was very interesting for me. I was also happy to learn that he lived nearly twenty years after being the first earth creature in space and is buried in Washington D.C. I want to visit his grave the next time I'm in capitol city! This would be a great book to share with a class of any age learning about space exploration. ( )
  hreilly | Mar 5, 2013 |
Summary: “Ham the Astrochimp” is the story of a chimpanzee born in Africa and raised to travel into space. He first named Chang, but was renamed Ham in honor of Hollman Air Medical Center where he was trained to go into space. Ham took his first flight into space on January 31, 1961. Ham became a celebrity, but more importantly, proved that living creatures could fly into outer space. Ham was taken to the National Zoo in Washington DC, but was alone and unhappy. He was finally moved to the North Carolina Zoological Park in Asheboro to live out his life with a large colony of chimpanzees. Ham was buried at the International Space Hall of Fame in Alamogordo, New Mexico. Although Ham lived a short life, he paved the way for man to explore space.

Personal reaction: The story is like a biography of Ham, but is also had side bars that told more details about space exploration. The sidebars told about the history of space exploration, what happen during certain phases of a flight, and about the returning and landing of the flights. The sidebars also told about the zoos that Ham lived at and about the International Space hall of Fame. I really like the story and think children of all ages will enjoy the book as well.

Classroom extension: 1. I would use this book with a lesson about chimpanzees. 2. I would also use this book with a lesson about space exploration. ( )
  jojamo | Nov 28, 2012 |
This is the story of Ham, the first living creature to travel into space successfully. We learn about Ham's training, his mission to space, and his years after he left NASA. Ham was a pioneer in space travel because he proved that it was possible to survive and return safely. Painted illustrations add to the charm of Ham's story; we fall for this plucky fellow who helped us learn so much.
  scducharme | Mar 23, 2010 |
Hilliard, R. (2007). Ham the astrochimp (R. Hilliard Illus.). Honesdale,
Pennsylvania: Boyd Mills Press.

Ham the Astrochimp is a biography of Ham a chimpanzee sent in a Mercury capsule in 1961. It traces his life from Africa, to NASA , then the National Zoo and finally the North Carolina Zoological Park.

This book is suitable for 7-10 year olds. The can use this book to verify as well as extend an experience. It can also be used to supply the children with specific information to answer a question. The text is simple but there are sidebars with more detailed information.

This book can be used for children to gather information about space travel, or just for enjoyment.

Ham the Astrochimp is an oversized picture book. The illustrations are acrylic paint. I found them dull and rather unreal. Since this is a true story there could have been some photographs of Ham, chimpanzees, or even the space capsules. The endpapers are light blue with small tracings of Ham, the astrochimp.
  cdl | Sep 10, 2007 |

Describes the role played by the chimpanzee, Ham, in developing manned space flight in the U.S.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,959,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible