On Dreams by Sigmund Freud

On Dreams

by Sigmund Freud

English (4)  French (1)  All languages (5)
How can I rate Freud? ( )
  Jandrew74 | May 26, 2019 |
What a goofball. The parts where he talks about his own dreams are really great! ( )
  behemothing | Oct 25, 2014 |
Very interesting read. Freud's discussion of condensation, displacement and the combination of symbols in dreams is very thorough and convincing. A century after its publication, "On Dreams" is still a helpful text for understanding dreams and symbolism. However, I did have a few issues with this book, particularly with the idea that all dreams are repressed wish fulfillment fantasies. Freud seems to intentionally omit the whole idea of nightmares and his claim that children only have pleasant wish fulfillment dreams left me wondering how, as a psychologist, he had never come across the phenomenon of night terrors. Also, when in the second to last chapter he states that the majority of dreams are just repressed erotic fantasies, Freud seems to undercut his whole argument for the need for dream interpretation (for if all dreams are just repressed erotic fantasies, why do we even have to analyze them?). But on the whole, this is an interesting book, and a nice, relatively easy-to-read introduction to Freud and dream interpretation. ( )
  peleiades22 | May 1, 2011 |
At 45 pages this is a rather concise and accessible version of his longer The interpretation of Dreams.

At fisrt I was a bit dissapointed what my 6 euro's bought me, but after reading it I was actually content.

Een mooie en korte uiteenzetting van Freud's theorien over dromen. Helder geschreven en volkomen duidelijk. Of het allemaal waar is is een tweede, maar ja..... ( )
  JeroenBerndsen | Jan 24, 2008 |

Sigmund Freudprimary authorall editionscalculated
Strachey, JamesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039300144X, Paperback)

Aware that his Interpretation of Dreams was a long and difficult book, Freud decided that he must offer a version that would be briefer and easier to follow.

On Dreams was the result. He succeeded admirably: the theory of the dream as distorted wish fulfillment is there, as are, in full deployment, the mechanisms of the dream work. Without doubt, Freud was always his own best popularizer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:53 -0400)

Directly after the 1900 publication of The Interpretation of Dreams, Freud wrote this more concise, accessible version of his theory of dreams as disguised wish fulfillment. This classic of modern psychology contrasts scientific and popular views of dreams, considers their origins, and discusses the effects of mental mechanisms.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,736,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible