All the President's Men by Bob Woodward

All the President's Men (original 1974; edition 1974)

by Bob Woodward (Author)

Member:Tafadhali
Title:All the President's Men
Authors:Bob Woodward (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2014), Edition: Reissue, 368 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:history, north america, 20th century, read, read: 2017, non-fiction, 1717 challenge

All the President's Men by Bob Woodward (1974)

English (55)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (56)
(18) This was initially hard to get into but ultimately fascinating! Boy, the more things change. . . I cannot help but look at current events and wonder. This is how the Washington Post reporters Bernstein and Woodward ultimately were instrumental in uncovering the depth and breadth of what was behind the break-in at the Watergate hotel of DNC national headquarters during the 1972 presidential election. Ultimately, the Nixon administration was exposed perpetuating illegal domestic wiretapping of perceived enemies i.e. political opponents and anti-Vietnam War agitators. I followed it up with listening to some excerpts of the Nixon tapes on-line. Overall, I was left with the impression that as bad as the current administration is - it is not necessarily unprecedented. But in today's culture we are literally bombarded with alarmist opinion pieces through every media source - newspaper, radio, TV, on-line, social media, etc -- and it makes all seem beyond the pale. . . but its not!

Anyway - pretty matter of fact writing and a lot of names, names, names. I was constantly flipping back and forth to the list of main players in the front of the book. In all honesty, in terms of style points it is probably more of a 3 star book but again it was strangely fascinating for me once I was good and well hooked.

I would potentially consider reading more of Woodwards investigative reporting accounts. I think I watched this movie High School Social Science and I think I might see if I can find it again. ( )
  jhowell | Mar 29, 2018 |
This was one of the most tediously boring books I've ever read. It reads like a grocery list. The movie is great. The account is factual, but there is not much entertainment value. ( )
  medwards800 | Jan 11, 2018 |
In light of events during 2017, a look back was in order. This book shows how a little peeling of the onion on minor story set forth the resignation of a president and shattered whatever trust many had in government. ( )
  foof2you | Jan 1, 2018 |
Of an engaging nonfiction narrative, it’s often said—as a form of praise—that it “reads like a novel.” Presumably because the characters are well developed, the plot is interesting, the themes are relevant or perceptive, and the prose style is compelling or original or captivating in some way. While this book certainly tells the tale of what is perhaps still the most consequential feat of 20th-century journalism, it is not a nonfiction book that reads like a novel. It is, however, worth the read, if only to provide hope given the current chaotic mess that is the US Executive branch of government.

The factors that prevent All the President’s Men from achieving the lauded “reads like a novel” status are perhaps beyond the control of Bernstein and Woodward, who prove themselves to be intrepid, reflective reporters who are not above admitting their own shortcomings or lapses in judgment. The story they uncover is such a byzantine quagmire of conflicting loyalties, stealthy connections, cloak-and-dagger schemes, and downright preposterous (yet true) accusations against the most esteemed government office in the US that one forgives them for failing to weave an intelligible plot out of the Gordian knot of intrigue that they discover. Furthermore, Bernstein and Woodward are not necessarily storytellers—they are journalists telling the story of their story.

Over 40 years after the Watergate scandal, the paranoia, hypocrisy, and dishonesty that emanated from the office of the President of the United States feel all too palpable in the current era, when we are forced to endure what will undoubtedly be regarded as the most ignorant, embarrassing, arrogant, appalling, and absolutely batsh*t crazy administration of all time. I simply hope that somewhere, working for a newspaper or website like the Washington Post, there are journalists in the mold of Bernstein and Woodward who will someday tell the story of 45’s corruption and reveal him for the criminal that he is. ( )
  jimrgill | Nov 28, 2017 |
Great classic read. I find it a bit unfortunate that it actually stops a few months before Nixon's resignation, but at that point the story was out. You get a sense that investigative journalism is a long, arduous slog through countless telephone calls and snippets of talk with hundreds of people, most often meaningless but with sometimes the hidden gem that allows the reporters to painstakingly assemble the whole puzzle piece by piece. ( )
  SuperIke | Jul 3, 2017 |

Bob Woodwardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, Carlmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Poe, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the President's other men and women-
in the White House and elsewhere-
who took risks to provide us with confidential information. Without them there would have been no Watergate story told by the Washington Post.
And to our parents.
June 17, 1972. Nine o'clock Saturday morning. Early for the telephone. Woodward fumbled for the receiver and snapped awake.
This is the book. Please don't combine with the film

In the most devastating political detective story of the century, two Washington Post reporters, whose brilliant, Pulitzer Prize-winning investigation smashed the Watergate scandal wide open, tell the behind-the-scenes drama the way it really happened.

Beginning with the story of a simple burglary at Democratic headquarters and then continuing with headline after headline, Bernstein and Woodward kept the tale of conspiracy and the trail of dirty tricks coming -- delivering the stunning revelations and pieces in the Watergate puzzle that brought about Nixon's scandalous downfall. Their explosive reports won a Pulitzer Prize for The Washington Post and toppled the President. This is the book that changed America.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:15 -0400)

This is the book that changed America: Beginning with the story of a simple burglary at Democratic headquarters (Washington DC) and then continuing with headline after headline, Bernstein and Woodward kept the tale of conspiracy and the trail of dirty tricks coming - delivering the stunning revelations and pieces in the Watergate puzzle that brought about Nixon's scandalous downfall. Their explosive reports won a Pulitzer Prize for The Washington Post and toppled the President.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,988,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible