On Writing Well by William Zinsser

On Writing Well (1976)

by William Zinsser

English (42)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (43)
Inspires the craft of and passion for writing. This will go on my reread list. ( )
  tangentrider | Aug 27, 2015 |
Recommended for everyone. If you write anything important in English then it's a must-read. If you write in another language, or if your writing is limited to email and Facebook, this will still help you to express your thoughts more clearly.

I must note that it is a surprisingly fun and light read for a grammar book.

Strunk & White "Elements of Style" is another, more revered, classic. If you have to choose between the two, read "On Writing Well" because it is more modern. But you can only win if you read both.
  valdanylchuk | Aug 26, 2015 |
This book really opens a writer's eyes on how some simple changes and adjustments with our style and convention will make us better writers. I read this one for my Abydos trainer certification and took in good advice on writing better. ( )
  dmoitzh | Jul 17, 2015 |
Zissner provides a simple and thought provoking primer for writers. Though he may not provide concrete "how-to's"--as though writing were that simple--he nonetheless gives amazing encouragement for novices just beginning their trek. I have given it a 5 star rating simply for its simplicity and its accessibility. From writing manuscripts to monographs, sermons to stories, or even poetic prose; the book proves to be invaluable. ( )
  Noah_Schumacher | Apr 28, 2015 |
Great book on writing. Really good advice. ( )
  kslade | Apr 7, 2015 |
Introduction:
One of the pictures hanging in my office in mid-Manhattan is a photograph of the writer E. B. White.
A school in Connecticut once held "a day devoted to the arts," and I was asked if I would come and talk about writing as a vocation.

On Writing Well has been praised for its sound advice, its clarity and the warmth of its style. It is a book for everybody who wants to learn how to write or who needs to do some writing to get through the day, as almost everybody does in the age of e-mail and the Internet.

Whether you want to write about people or places, science and technology, business, sports, the arts or about yourself in the increasingly popular memoir genre, On Writing Well offers you fundamental priciples as well as the insights of a distinguished writer and teacher. With more than a million copies sold, this volume has stood the test of time and remains a valuable resource for writers and would-be writers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:29 -0400)

Warns against common errors in structure, style, and diction, and explains the fundamentals of conducting interviews and writing travel, scientific, sports, critical, and humorous articles.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,030,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible