Conversations with the Fat Girl by Liza…

Conversations with the Fat Girl (edition 2005)

by Liza Palmer

Title:Conversations with the Fat Girl
Authors:Liza Palmer
Info:5 Spot (2005), Paperback, 328 pages
Tags:contemporary fiction

Conversations with the Fat Girl by Liza Palmer

Honest writing about a normal girl who happens to be fat. A welcome entry to the big-girl-lit genre. But this book is much more than that label, don't be fooled. ( )
1 vote Brainannex | Oct 25, 2013 |
I read this book many years ago and am probably do for a re-read now that I have experienced a influx of weight and decrease of esteem. I read it long ago when I was slim [but didn't believe I was] and could relate to her feelings, particularly this quote:

“my relationship with my body is like that of an egomaniac with a self-esteem problem. mostly i think about myself and how much i suck. but there are rare moments when i walk around for hours and think i look amazing. either i feel great about myself or i've decided some guy is checking me out. then i catch a side view of myself in a store window or a department store mirror and i'm plunged into despair. if i could always life in a place with no mirrors or disapproving glances, i would think i was the prettiest girl around.”

..which I know I am not the only one who has felt the same way.

Liza Palmer has written a book that a lot of people can identify with - and not just those struggling with excess weight either. I feel that we all have body issues to varying degrees. We all have things that make us self conscious and we see in a harder light than others; that we may love in the morning and loathe in the afternoon - and we have that same internal monologue about it as Maggie does in this novel. ( )
1 vote tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |
on Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hi there. I finished this book last Sunday. It was a quick read.
I must admit It took me quite a long time to get into the story. I think after reading 1/3rd of the book I started to enjoy myself.
After that I really liked it and wanted it to go on. Lot of recognition.
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
I love the plump girl fiction out there and while there was some cute parts....I can't do too much on the pity aspect. I loved the story and I know I do the "if I was only 20 pounds lighter" thought bubbles it seemed to take up most of the novel with this one. If the author toned it down a bit I think I would have enjoyed this book a lot more. ( )
  rayneofdarkness | Nov 19, 2012 |
Maggie and Olivia were the two fat girls in school, best friends that shared the bond of being misfits. Fast forward a few years: the girls are still (sort of) best friends, but Olivia had gastric bypass surgery and is now a size two and about to be married to a handsome and wealthy man, while Maggie is still the same size, single, and working at a coffee shop despite having a master's degree. I remember being Maggie not that long ago: negatively self-absorbed, helplessly inarticulate around attractive men, and walked on by my so-called best friend. Though her inner monologue was very funny in places, she would have been a much less compelling character had I not recognized myself in so many of her flaws. This story says a lot about toxic relationships, family bonds, and inner beauty, but most importantly about self-confidence. I enjoyed watching Maggie's journey, and I look forward to picking up Palmer's other novels. ( )
  melydia | Oct 18, 2010 |
The risk it takes remains tight inside the bud is more painful than the risk it takes to blossom.
For my mom
Why is a bulldozer in front of my house?

Everyone seems to be getting on with their lives except Maggie. At 26, she's still serving coffee at The Beanery Coffee House, while her friends are getting married, having babies, and having real careers. Even Olivia, Maggie's best friend from childhood, is getting married to the doctor with whom she lives. Maggie's roommate? Her dog Solo (his name says it all). The man in Maggie's life? Well there isn't one, except the guy she has a crush on, Domenic, who works with her at the coffee shop as a bus boy.Maggie and Olivia have been best friends since they were in grade school. Both fatties, they befriended each other when no one else would. Now grown-up, Maggie is still shopping in the "women's section" while Olivia went and had gastric-bypass surgery in search of the elusive size 2, the holy grail for girls everywhere. So now Olivia's thin and blonde and getting married, and Maggie's the fat bridesmaid. Ain't life grand? In this wonderful debut novel that is sure to remind readers of Jennifer Weiner's Good In Bed, Liza Orr is both witty and wise, giving voice to women everywhere who wish for just once that they could forget about their weight.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:41 -0400)

"An overweight waitress ponders her relationship her best friend, who had once been overweight herself, as her friend prepares for a wedding"--Provided by publisher.

Liza Palmer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,885,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible