Schlafes Bruder by Robert Schneider

Schlafes Bruder (original 1992; edition 1994)

by Robert Schneider

Member:greenlemonsoda
Title:Schlafes Bruder
Authors:Robert Schneider
Info:Reclam, Leipzig (1994), Paperback, 204 pages
Rating:*****

Brother of Sleep by Robert Schneider (1992)

Recently added byprivate library, jpasek, Noegi, Zeeko, Christof0408, barstel, DeltaKilo, interference, mjstieber, cleeb

English (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (5)
Though with a good Leitmotiv and exploring the same thematic as Das Parfüm (the story of an adversity-stricken, miserable genius), there is no suspense, the plot is poor and, overall, the book is just too depressing. ( )
  Miguelnunonave | Sep 9, 2013 |
The story is about a boy, born in a small, Austrian village in the 19th century. He turns out to be an extremely gifted musician although his talent is never nurtured and formed in a proper way, because he is born in a simple farmer's family, never leaves his village and is hardly educated. When he falls in love with a girl from the village and his love is not reciprocated, this has an immense impact on his life. I don't want to give away too much about this book, but the author wonders about the fact that so much talent is never discovered and withers without ever being appreciated. There might have been born someone bigger than da Vinci and Mozart, but maybe we missed out on this because he wasn't born in the right place and the right time. In a bigger context, the book also deals with the effects of living in a closely-knit community where everyone knows everything. It is a strange but dazzling book, written in a very expressive yet subtle and intimate style which gives the reader plenty of things to think about. I recommend this one to anyone who likes psychological literature. ( )
3 vote JustJoey4 | Dec 11, 2010 |
I can't remember when I bought this book but I'm sure it was more than 10 years ago and I'm also sure it was because someone compared it to [book: Perfume] from [author: Patrick Suskind] which is one of my all time favorite books.

Though there are similiarities I found this book nowhere near as interesting, unique or beautifully written as Perfume. There was really no suspense, no mystery, just a kind of evenly paced telling of a tale that seemed to have no climax or build up.

So if you liked this I would definitely recommend Perfume but I guess no matter what I would definitely recommend Perfume so that's not saying much. ( )
1 vote ragwaine | May 2, 2010 |

Robert Schneiderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whiteside, ShaunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible