Fat Girls & Lawn Chairs by Cheryl Peck

Fat Girls & Lawn Chairs

by Cheryl Peck

Maybe I was expecting too much, but Iwasn't crazy about the book. An essay here and there was wonderful,but there were too many that just seemed like the ramblings of thattalkative person seated next to you on the plane who won't let youget back to your book. Perhaps she needed a better editor.The essays I liked, however, I really liked. My favorite essay fromthe book was questionably "The Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company". Inthis essay, Peck tells about her grandmother with such love that Iwish I'd known her. Well, I suppose in a way I have. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
I actually bought this book because of the cover. Who could resist a book with a cat sticking it's tongue out? Once I read the book I was glad I did buy it. I giggled and laughed through out the entire book. It is always nice to read things written in real life by someone who is honest and straight forward. This is another book that I do recommend. It was an employee pick for me when I was working at a local bookstore. If you have the chance to read it, I suggest you do. It will keep you smiling all the way through. ( )
  dlgiddings | Sep 10, 2009 |
A book that was well-written and full of experiences that we have all shared at one time or another in our lives. Brought good laughs to this reader, and I'd enjoy reading more by this author. Thanks for sharing it!! ( )
  KWoman | Jun 13, 2009 |
If this was a blog rather than a book, I'd love it! But as a book... mheh... It's good and all and I likely would have been far more impressed in the pre-internet days before there were all sorts of anecdotal essays of the sort available by all sorts of authors. Peck does provide many laughs, though, as well as some more serious observations. ( )
  Deesirings | Aug 21, 2008 |
laugh out loud funny ( )
  Zylphan | Oct 23, 2007 |

Cheryl Peck has many stories to tell-of her naughty cat, her quirky family, and her experiences as a large gay woman in the American heartland. Now in a potpourri of real tales by turns poignant and laugh-out-loud funny, Cheryl talks about family and growing up, love and loss. With self-deprecating humor and compassionate insight, she remembers the time she hit her baby sister in the head with a rock, how her father taught her to swim by throwing her into deep water, and the day when-while weighing in at 300 pounds-she became an inspirational goddess at her local gym. Filled with universal stories about a daughter's love for her parents and the eternal quest for finding meaning in it all, this book reveals many seemingly unremarkable moments that make a life-the weighty events that, like fat girls sitting on lawn chairs, just won't let go.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:30 -0400)

The author describes the trials and tribulations of a gay woman of size living in America's heartland, reflecting on such topics as her cats, swimming lessons, and family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,099,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible