Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul) by C.…

Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul) (edition 2010)

by C. L. Wilson

Member:DeadonMonday
Title:Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul)
Authors:C. L. Wilson
Info:Avon (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:**

Lord of the Fading Lands by C. L. Wilson

English (32)  German (1)  All languages (33)
4 ½ Stars

This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

Lord of the Fading Lands is book one of Tairen Soul series by C.L. Wilson.

Rainier vel'En Daris Feyreisen King of the Fey, also knows as Rain Tairen Soul is desperate to save his race. The Tairen are dying and with them the Fey will die too. The Tairen are big winged cats creatures linked to the Fey, Rain as Tairen Soul can shift to Tairen form, he is also the last Tairen Soul alive.
In a moment of desperation he begs for answers of how to save his race from The Eye of Truth. As a response he receives two images, one of a woman and another one of the city of Celieria.
He knows his good friend and confident Marissya v’En Solande, also knows as the Truthspeaker is planning her annual visit to the city of Celieria in the following days; so he decides to leave his exile of over thousand years and accompany her on her journey.
Thousand years ago, during the Mage Wars, the Mages of Eld assassinated Rain’s mate, Sariel. In a moment of complete emotional devastation for her dead, Rain succumbed to madness and scorched the world. Since then Rain hasn’t left The Fading Lands (Fey lands) until now.
There is always a big welcoming for Marissya and her Fey guards, but this year with the news of Rain arrival the city of Celieria is in a big outburst.
People are filling the streets, trying to get a vantage point to admire the Fey procession entering the city. Ellysetta Baristani has always loved the Fey and its tales and now is her opportunity to see Rain for the first time. She arrives early with her little twin sisters to take a good place from where to observe the Fey march.
When Rain starts approaching Celieria he feels another soul calling his. He knows his Shi’dalin or Truemate, is in the crowds observing the march.
The crowds are pushing back and forth an Ellysetta soon finds herself on the floor being trampled by the crowd. Rain feels her pain and locates her immediately. When he is in front of Elly he recognizes her as the woman The Eye of Truth has showed him. He knows she is his Truemate, but he is in shock and in complete disbelief, never in Fey history a Tairen Soul had claimed a Truemate. Elly also feels the connection with Rain but his claim that she is his Truemate intimidates her. She is just the adoptive daughter of a woodcarver, a simple woman with not education or position. She doesn’t understand how is it possible for the King of the Fey to claim her as his Queen.
For the mating to take place Elly will have to accept Rain completely, if the mating doesn’t occur… let’s just say the consequences will be devastating.
While all this is happening, enemies from the past are taking force. There are other people who also want Elly but none of them have good intentions towards her.
Rain will have to woo her and protect her at the same time because the future of his race is in Elly’s hands.

I have had Lord of the Fading Lands in my TBR for over a year. I don’t know why I haven’t read it before, I’m just glad I did it now.

Ellyseta has always felt as a stranger in her own skin. Even tough she has always being surrounded by a family that loves her; deep in her heart there was always something missing. And being the ugly duckling in her town hasn’t helped her with her feelings of inadequacy. Despite those feelings her heart is pure and innocent. She has always been sweet, caring and loving. The best daughter, sister friend anyone could have.

Rain has been a tortured soul, full of pain, rage and remorse for centuries, until his gift from gods (Elly) comes to his life. After what happened to Sariel he is afraid of giving Elly his heart, but his soul has spoken and there is little he can do about it. He is overprotective and has a big sense of responsibility. But after so many years in exile and pain he has forgotten how “to be nice”. But what Elly is making him feel is slowly shedding his ice shell.

This is a yin and yang couple. They are opposites but they complement each other perfectly, their connection is not simple love but more deeply, they are soul mates, where feelings are bigger than them and appearances don’t matter. *swoon*

All the secondary characters in this book are great. They bring more deep to the story, making it more interesting and entertaining.
With Elly’s family and the Fey you feel you want to know them more; you want to hear their stories, their lives, what ails them and want to comfort and laugh with them as with Rain and Elly.
With the evil forces you will hate them and will wanted all to disappear and rot in hell.

Mrs. Wilson’s magic with words will make you feel all those things and more. Her prose will keep you captured from page to page and the world she creates will have your imagination flying to this new land.

Lord of the Fading Land is one the best fantasy books I have read lately. It has a complex and different word, with a new language and many interesting characters. The plot has everything you want a book to have, action, love, intrigues, mysteries, and more.
This book is written is such a perfect manner that you will start to learn Feyan (Fey language) and will never be confused with the names of so many different characters because they are introduced masterfully into the story.

I cannot recommend enough Lord of the Fading Lands. If you are a fantasy lover you will adore it, and even if you are not a fan of this genre I think you should give it a chance, it is really a great book.
After finishing Lord of the Fading Lands I couldn’t restrain myself and started immediately the second book of this series Lady of Light and Shadows and let me tell you that it’s even better than this one.
These books are not stand-alone books and should be read in order. ( )
1 vote BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Audiobook ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Rain Tairen Soul is the King of the Fading Lands, and has survived for centuries, and after losing the woman he once loved, spent countless years bent on revenge against those who killed the woman who was gentle and kind and gracious. Now determined to find out the truth and the evil that threatens his people, he finds out that he has a truemate, the woman that is the other half of his soul. He never thought it possible he would ever have a truemate, but now that he has found her, he will never let her go. Ellysetta or also known as Ellie, lives in a mortal city known as Celiera, a place where she grew up. Her father being a woodcarver, she grew up in a simple yet loving atmosphere. her family is everything to her. Ellie knows that soon she will have to marry soon, and the man her parents would have her wed, leaves a bad taste in her mouth, she wishes more than anything to marry anyone but him. Ellie is not a normal mortal, she has suffered nightmares and convulsions all of her life. When Tairen Soul, king and the most powerful Tairen alive comes to their city, she is intrigued. All of Ellie's life, she has been fascinated with Tairen Soul and anything connection to the myths and legends he has left behind. The last thing she expects is for Tairen Soul to come swooping down and claiming her as his truemate. She wonders if his vision is impaired or is drunk. Ellie has always believed herself to be awkward, unattractive and not built in the way most men desire a women to be shaped. There is a part of her that can't resist Tairen, or his gentle ways with her. Even though the passion they share can be fierce, she finds her heart opening up to Rain and his protectiveness and fierce devotion.

I have heard about this series for a very long time and have always wanted to read these books, which I have heard stellar reviews on. So I decided it was time to try them out, especially since I do love fantasy romance. From the first few pages, I was instantly hooked, and I couldn't put this epic story down. I was blown away by the author's voice and the world building she does with the Tairen Soul series. Even though this is the only book I have read from this author, I am hooked, I can barely sit still with excitement to read what happens between Tairen and Elllie. In the beginning I was a bit confused with what was happening, but that usually happens with this type of story, with a huge aspect of world building. It tends to take a little while to get adjusted and settled into the story. I am not saying I had a hard time getting into the story, (the very opposite as a matter of fact). However I do wish there was a bit more background to the story in the prologue. It did have some background information, but I felt like there may have been a bit more. However once the story picked up, I started to feel comfortable and everything seemed to come together pretty nicely only after a few chapters. It was amazing how well the author put the story together in such a way, that there was no confusion at all and the ease that came with reading Lord of the Fading Lands. So it starts off with Tairen Soul seeking the truth to saving his people, but instead finds out about his truemate, which is the last thing he would expect. It then jumps to Ellie, who along with her two younger sisters, is getting prepared for a visit from fey warriors. Then the first meeting between Tairen and Ellie occurs, and it definitely satisfied every romantic bone in my body. I just sighed at that point, definitely full of desire and intensity, and I could barely contain my excitement. We then see the King and strongest of his people, humble himself beyond reason in order to court Ellie, who is young and inexperienced but beautiful in spirit and soul.

Both of these characters I absolutely adored. Ellie is sweet and charming and very innocent, and has no clue of the power that resides within her. She is very protective and fierce when she needs to be, but is simple and has been raised in a home of love and wants that for herself. She doesn't just give in to Tairen and accept his claim hands down, she tests him, even though it was subtle, I had fun seeing Ellie warm up to Tairen. She does have self doubt about herself, but I think that con's to Ellie made her seem more real to me, and I felt it easy to relate with her. Tairen was beyond amazing, and he is going to the top of my list of hero's. Tairen is your typical Alpha Male, however there is much more to him than that. He does have a dominant and beyond possessive side. He also has a gentle and patient nature toward Ellie, that is guaranteed to pull at your heartstrings. The side characters were fun and exciting and charming. The relationship between Tairen and Ellie starts out like any relationship does, with stumbling blocks but I did enjoy the way they compromised with each other, and start to develop a deeper bond to each other as the story progressed. I definitely didn't want this story to ever end, and it ended way sooner than I would have liked. I did expect a cliffhanger of some sort, since this series is just about this couple (At least I think it is), but it ended on a good note, but just enough cliffhanger, to keep you thirsty for me, yet not frustrated, just hungry for the next installment.

Overall I would say this is one of the best books I have read ALL year!!! There was so many things I loved about the first in the Tairen series. Such a beautiful world C. L. Wilson creates for us. An exciting and enthralling tale of a epic love and a world with magic, paranormal creatures, and characters to bewitch you. BRILLIANTLY DONE!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Jan 1, 2015 |
This was a re-read for this book so I could read the entire series and continue to the final installment of these books. I love this book, the second time reading was just as great as the first. I am sorry, I am gushing. So I should be telling you what I love about this book and not just gushing and gushing.

I love the ending of this book The author straight finish the smaller plot within the whole plot, leaves it at a location and then stops for the next book; just like a t-shirt. Hmm...what else? I love Elli. She is strong and vibrant and everything a faerie queen should be but also she is normal and a ordinary which makes her such a different character than many others I have read. Next there is Rain, first off, the name, oh yes, and then he is just magnificent, everything a faerie king should be and so much more. I love that these two characters are together and in love, I couldn't see them any other way, I never want to.

I also love the world the author creates around these amazing characters. I enjoy the whole new world, with new politics, drama, and amazing enemies and allies. I enjoy Ellie's quintet and I enjoy the way the characters all interact together. I can keep on going and going but I won't. I love this author, I love this book. If you love fantasy romance, READ THIS BOOK! ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I expected the story to be over, but it isn't. Nothing was resolved. Nevertheless, the story is beautiful.
Oh, well, I'll just find the next one to see what happens. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |

A simple woodcarver's daughter finds her dreams of adventure and romance coming true when Tairen Soul, a powerful fey from the Fading Lands, claims her as his truemate, plunging her into a dangerous realm of passion, evil, magic, and love.

C. L. Wilson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,033,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible