Goodnight Nobody: A Novel by Jennifer Weiner

Goodnight Nobody: A Novel (original 1995; edition 2006)

by Jennifer Weiner

2,168None3,009 (3.38)21
Member:sandykaypax
Title:Goodnight Nobody: A Novel
Authors:Jennifer Weiner
Info:Washington Square Press (2006), Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:tbr

Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner (1995)

English (55)  Dutch (1)  All languages (56)
Weiner moves out of her fluff books again into a sharp mystery set it suburban Connecticut. Unlike her first two books, I enjoyed all the characters and was intrigued by the story line. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 21, 2014 |
CD ( )
  buddysmom78 | Nov 26, 2011 |
If there is a more relatable character in current fiction than Kate Klein, I haven't found her yet. At times it seemed like the author was peering into my head and writing my thoughts. Okay, so I don't live in Connecticut, and I didn't stumble upon a quasi-friend's corpse, but I liked Kate, I understood her, and I enjoyed the wild ride that was this murder-mystery adventure. ( )
  KatharineClifton | Nov 30, 2010 |
I'm not sure I like Jennifer Weiner's cozy mystery as much as I like her other work, but this book is still fantastic. What she does well, she does extremely well - the oversized, outsider narrator, the warts-and-all view of motherhood and marriage, the sympathetic narrator who nevertheless makes regrettable decisions, the subversion of the expected plot points (happily ever after, fat girl loses weight to get happily ever after, happily ever after must include man, smart woman gets into stupid scrapes by using her secretly delicate brain, etc...).

The mystery here is pretty well-constructed, and the denouement is surprising but believable. Weiner's picture of over-wealthy Connecticut suburbia is hilarious and cutting but also very real, and her narrator's sense of physical, emotional, and intellectual isolation in a world of play-dates and Stepford housewives and mommy-and-me classes is so compelling. Weiner's writing is very fresh, as is her perspective, and her characters are well-developed and compelling. It's easy to dismiss novels about women characters, moms, motherhood, and kids as chick lit or as "not serious" but I think Weiner's strength really is the way she treats these topics with a discerning, satirical eye and, in so doing, provokes serious thought about the image and role of motherhood while telling a really entertaining story. ( )
  upstairsgirl | Jul 28, 2010 |
Chick lit mystery. Sometimes the commentary on surburbia is laugh out loud funny, other times the novel is a frustrating tale of a whiny woman who can't find joy in her life and blames her marriage. With no idea what she is doing, Kate barrels ahead, questions suspects, and puts her kids at risk to investigate a murder. Hard to believe and just so so ...... ( )
  KC9333 | Jul 8, 2010 |

Jennifer Weinerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, HilkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743470125, Paperback)

Goodnight Nobody is bestselling author Jennifer Weiner's attempt at writing a mystery, with a healthy dose of the author's chick lit sensibilities thrown in for good measure. While this Desperate Housewives meets Sex in the City murder mystery won't make readers shake in their Manolo Blahniks, it will provide the obligatory humor and compassion to which fans of Weiner's Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, and Little Earthquakes have grown accustomed.

Kate Klein is a feisty, charmingly insecure Connecticut housewife who trades in a life of late-night karaoke sing-a-longs and West Village brunches with her best friend Janie for a world of mini-vans and Mommy and Me pilates classes. Life in Upchurch, Connecticut, heats up when Kate discovers picture-perfect wife and mother Kitty Cavanaugh dead on the pickled maple hardwood floor of her recently remodeled kitchen. A former chronicler of celebrity gossip, Kate takes it upon herself to solve the mystery of Kitty's murder and the disappearance of Lexi Hagen-Holdt, another Upchurch supermom. Along the way, the mysteries and disappointments in Kate's personal life begin to unravel, including her marriage to the kind-yet-uptight Ben, and her unresolved crush on Evan McKenna, a former neighbor with whom a one-night tryst ended in disaster. Thrown in for comic relief, and perhaps to show the depth of Weiner's talents as a writer, are Kate's twin boys and adorably sophisticated 5-year old daughter Sophie ("Sophie was sitting on the toilet, applying lipstick and waiting her turn...").

Goodnight Nobody is chock full of plot twists and turns which can be overwhelming and superfluous. However, Weiner's charm and grace are usually enough to rescue readers from these moments of confusion, and reaffirm our commitment to this endearing contemporary voice. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:30 -0400)

Having relocated to an alienating Connecticut suburb after a mugging in her native New York City, wife and mother Kate Klein undertakes a murder investigation during her children's school hours when a local mom is killed.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,465,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible