Gut Symmetries by Jeanette Winterson

Gut Symmetries (1997)

by Jeanette Winterson

what she does with language is so beautiful. i had a little trouble with this one, though, in keeping track of what was going on and who was who and which character was the focus of each chapter. the last 20% or so, though, the story really surprised me, both in positive and negative ways. but the language was always superb.

"Walk with me. The past lies in wait. It is not behind. It seems to be in front. How else could it trip me as I start to run?" ( )
  elisa.saphier | Apr 8, 2015 |
Gut Symmetries by Jeanette Winterson; L/L, 1997; (1*)

My thoughts & comments:

I am giving this read 1 star and that is simply for the originality of it. Reading this book, I felt that Winterson was writing for the shock factor & to just write something over-the-top. I can understand the brilliance of the author's mind but not of her writing.
My unwanted advice: put it in a textbook. But then again, perhaps I simply prefer a plot-driven novel. ( )
  rainpebble | Jan 23, 2015 |
Gut Symmetries: This book changed my view on what great literature can be. Previously I thought plot drove the reader to keep going - reading this I was driven forward by the beauty of the words that Winterson uses, sometimes not understanding, or paying attention to the action, often reading several times to revel in the flavours of her prose. I looked with regret at the dwindling number of pages as I approached the end, wanting to stay longer in the drunken, passionate language of this wonderful book.
1 vote iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |
Sometimes the language is so beautiful - I keep some of the sentences like treasures! Winterson sticks to her unique style, and I enjoy it. ( )
1 vote LottaBerling | Jan 18, 2009 |
"Gut Symmetries" is about love. And physics. And geometry. And the infinite and the finite, and matter and what matters, and particles and monstrosities and life and time and death and the grinning skull in the mirror. It explores a relationship that swallows its own past, the ouroboros of human interaction. It is prods and pokes at the most sensitive underbelly, clinical yet caressing. Winterson seems to wield her pen with remarkable grace in this novel, and despite a few wrong turns she manages to weave together a story out of star dust. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is already familiar with Winterson's works. ( )
3 vote 391 | Sep 4, 2008 |
For Peggy Reynolds
         with love.
It began on a boat, like The Tempest, like Moby Dick, a finite enclosure of floating space, a model of the world in little.

WorldCat Abstract:  The high-wire artist of the English novel redraws the romantic triangle for the post-Einsteinian universe, a place where gender is as elastic as matter. "Dazzling for its intelligence and inventiveness".--"Elle".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679777423, Paperback)

Physics seems to have become the new language of love in the 1990s, and Jeanette Winterson is not the first writer to make a major character a physicist. Jonathan Lethem mined similar territory earlier this year in his delightful book, As She Climbed Across the Table, and now Winterson enters the lists with not one, but two physicists populating the pages of her equally wonderful book, Gut Symmetries. If you think about it, physics does make a good metaphor for love, encompassing as it does the principles of attraction, the exchange of energy, and unification. At the center of this meditation on "the intelligence of the universe" and "the stupidity of humankind" are Jove, a married physicist; Alice, a single physicist who becomes his mistress; and Stella, Jove's wife and later, Alice's lover. They meet on the QE2 and from there the three participants in the story take turns telling their versions of it.

Gut Symmetries is a collage of memories, snippets of scientific theory, meditations on abstract concepts like truth, and the events surrounding Jove, Alice, and Stella's affair. This is a book that demands your attention, jumping as it does from one seemingly tangential topic to another; but whereas physics still seeks a grand unification theory (GUT) to explain how everything in the universe fits together, Winterson actually finds one of her own in this satisfyingly complete fictional world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:18 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,989,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible