dismiss

Gut Symmetries by Jeanette Winterson

Gut Symmetries (1997)

by Jeanette Winterson

A funny and tender celebration of love in all its frailty, confusion and excess, from the author of Oranges are not the Only Fruit and Why be Happy When you Could be Normal?
Recently added bySerrana, StephanyA, vernaye, harryjosiegiles, sasameyuki, private library, keannka, DougLasT

what she does with language is so beautiful. i had a little trouble with this one, though, in keeping track of what was going on and who was who and which character was the focus of each chapter. the last 20% or so, though, the story really surprised me, both in positive and negative ways. but the language was always superb.

"Walk with me. The past lies in wait. It is not behind. It seems to be in front. How else could it trip me as I start to run?" ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Apr 8, 2015 |
Gut Symmetries: This book changed my view on what great literature can be. Previously I thought plot drove the reader to keep going - reading this I was driven forward by the beauty of the words that Winterson uses, sometimes not understanding, or paying attention to the action, often reading several times to revel in the flavours of her prose. I looked with regret at the dwindling number of pages as I approached the end, wanting to stay longer in the drunken, passionate language of this wonderful book.
1 vote iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |
Sometimes the language is so beautiful - I keep some of the sentences like treasures! Winterson sticks to her unique style, and I enjoy it. ( )
1 vote LottaBerling | Jan 18, 2009 |
"Gut Symmetries" is about love. And physics. And geometry. And the infinite and the finite, and matter and what matters, and particles and monstrosities and life and time and death and the grinning skull in the mirror. It explores a relationship that swallows its own past, the ouroboros of human interaction. It is prods and pokes at the most sensitive underbelly, clinical yet caressing. Winterson seems to wield her pen with remarkable grace in this novel, and despite a few wrong turns she manages to weave together a story out of star dust. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is already familiar with Winterson's works. ( )
3 vote 391 | Sep 4, 2008 |
My favorite Winterson ( )
  kdtb | May 7, 2006 |
For Peggy Reynolds
         with love.
It began on a boat, like The Tempest, like Moby Dick, a finite enclosure of floating space, a model of the world in little.

WorldCat Abstract:  The high-wire artist of the English novel redraws the romantic triangle for the post-Einsteinian universe, a place where gender is as elastic as matter. "Dazzling for its intelligence and inventiveness".--"Elle".

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,450,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible