Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Hail to the Chiefs: Presidential Mischief, Morals, & Malarkey from George…

by Barbara Holland

It's a cherished American freedom-the right to ridicule, gossip about, and chuckle at our Chief Executives. In this newly updated volume, acclaimed humorist Barbara Holland looks at the fascinating, the funny, and the all-too-human side of our nation's leaders, from the first George W. to the latest.… (more)

It turns out I couldn't find a biography of William Henry Harrison for this month's US Presidents Challenge. I mean, he was only in office for a month before he died, so how much could there be to write about? So now I've got a dilemma - skip this President or not...I waffled a bit, looked him up on Wikipedia and few other websites, then came across Hail to the Chiefs.

Barbara Holland has collected stories of each President through Reagan and put them together in a very funny, very wry set of vignettes. It's light and fluffy, but eas just the thing for an airplane ride! ( )
  drneutron | Sep 17, 2009 |
To My Mother
The greatest glory of our system is its dazzling variety.
However, Buchanan had more enemies than a dog has fleas and they called him all sorts of opprobrious names, and if his sex life was non-standard, I'm sure they would have brought it up at the time. They didn't.
Frances Folsom was twenty-one and beautiful. He was forty-nine and Grover Cleveland.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,770,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible