Pigeon Feathers and Other Stories by John…

Pigeon Feathers and Other Stories (original 1962; edition 1963)

by John Updike

Member:sgwinn82
Title:Pigeon Feathers and Other Stories
Authors:John Updike
Info:1st Printing. Crest Books.

Pigeon Feathers and Other Stories by John Updike (1962)

The Franklin Library, Pennsylvania, 1981. Full-Leather. Book Condition: Fine. Dacey, Bob (illustrator). Limited Edition. 8vo - over 7" - 9¾" tall. Brown original publisher's leather binding; lettering in gilt on the spine; elaborate design in gilt on the front cover and on the spine; a.e.g.; four raised bands on the spine; brown moire end papers; hinges, book and binding are as new; sewn-in ribbon marker; a beautiful copy
  Czrbr | Jun 7, 2010 |
Fine hardcover, full brown calf with four raised bands, gilt ornamentation and textblock, silk moir endpapers, and ribbon page marker, 276 pages. Prior owner housed in a glass case in a smoke free environment, a fine, crisp, unread copy. Prior owners blind-stamp on flyleaf.
  Czrbr | Jun 7, 2010 |
Pigeon Feathers is a collection of short stories about Love’s shadow. By that I mean it is not about Love but about Love’s side effects. Lust, longing, loss. It’s a passionless book about passions.
I haven’t read anything else by John Updike and this doesn’t make me want to. He writes the way I’m afraid I will. Too many words, so carefully arranged to make an impact that you only notice the arrangement and never feel the impact. A gilded cardboard sledgehammer.
I have to admit I haven’t finished it. I won’t abandon it. I’ll put it somewhere I can pick it up when I have a spare minute or two (and we all know where that is) and I will plough through the last four stories. It’s not that it’s a bad book, just that it isn’t a good one. ( )
  Scriberpunk | Apr 19, 2010 |
This short collection of stories displays a realistic view of small town life that, presumably, Updike himself experienced. The title story, Pigeon Feathers, is especially moving in its portrayal of a young boy's crisis of faith. The experience of the reality of death has more import than the questions and answers obtained in the local sunday school. ( )
  jwhenderson | Mar 4, 2008 |
Diarrhea of the mouth. The ridiculously long paragraphs combined with the small print are a real hassle to read. ( )
  ague | Nov 8, 2007 |
In revenge, however, my memory of the past has closed the door against me more and more. I could have returned at first, had human beings allowed it, through an archway as wide as the span of heaven over the earth, but as I spurred myself on in my forced career, the opening narrowed and shrank behind me; I felt more comfortable in the world of men and fitted it better; the strong wind that blew after me out of my past began to slacken; today it is only a gentle puff of air that plays around my heels; and the opening in the distance, through which it comes and through which I once came myself, has grown so small that, even if my strength and my will power sufficed to get me back to it, I should have to scrape the very skin from my body to crawl through.
KAFKA, 'A Report to an Academy'
To William Maxwell
Coming back from Boston, Jack drove, his baby son slept in a Carry-Cot on the front seat beside him, and in the back seat Clare sang to their girl, Jo, age two. ("Walter Briggs")

When this classic collection of stories first appeared—in 1962, on the author’s thirtieth birthday—Arthur Mizener wrote in The New York Times Book Review: “Updike is a romantic [and] like all American romantics, that is, he has an irresistible impulse to go in memory home again in order to find himself. . . . The precise recollection of his own family-love, parental and marital, is vital to him; it is the matter in which the saving truth is incarnate. . . . Pigeon Feathers is not just a book of very brilliant short stories; it is a demonstration of how the most gifted writer of his generation is coming to maturity; it shows us that Mr. Updike’s fine verbal talent is no longer pirouetting, however gracefully, out of a simple delight in motion, but is beginning to serve his deepest insight.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:32 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible