A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer

A Prisoner of Birth (2008)

by Jeffrey Archer

1,613556,478 (3.81)1 / 50

English (52)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (55)
Excerpts from my original GR review (Apr 2009):
- The first Jeff Archer I've read. Good stuff. The story is very engaging, from the violent first scenes through the ingenious manipulations en route to justice for the falsely imprisoned. The personalities are well done, evidenced for me by my nearly feeling sorry for the actor-musketeer who is clearly at wit's end as the circle closes.
- As with most crime dramas, there is a too-convenient coincidence or two, the obvious one here being Danny's fortuitous rooming with Sir Nicholas, whose good deeds (and demise) allow the tables to turn. I thought the courtroom scenes were brisk and tightly related. Nice twists near the conclusion. Would likely read more by author. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Apr 15, 2018 |
Great read. A young man is framed for the murder of his best friend by a "gentlemen" at the bar. The man and his fiance say he is innocent but four "gentlemen" at the bar said they saw him do it. He is imprisoned for 20 years. His cell mate turns out to be a "Sir" in Scotland. His cell mate is murdered (in his place) and the story goes from there. How does he escape and how does he get the actual murderer to admit or be charged with the murder. ( )
  joannemonck | Mar 26, 2018 |
I love Jeffrey Archer's writing. Withing the first few pages it feels as if you know these people. Within a chapter or two you feel what they are feeling. This book kept me up late at night because I had to know what was going to happen to Danny and Beth. With unexpected twists and turns that will keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat. ( )
  LisaKramer | Apr 17, 2017 |
A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer
4 stars

From The Book:
If Danny Cartwright had proposed to Beth Wilson on any other day, he would not have been arrested and charged with the murder of his best friend. But when the prosecution witnesses happen to be a group of four upper-crust college friends―a barrister, a popular actor, an aristocrat, and the youngest partner in an established firm's history―who is going to believe Danny's side of the story?

Danny is sentenced to twenty-two years and sent to Belmarsh prison, the highest-security jail in the land, from where no inmate has ever escaped. But Spencer Craig, Lawrence Davenport, Gerald Payne, and Toby Mortimer all underestimate Danny's determination to seek revenge―and the extent to which his fiancee Beth will go in pursuit of justice.

My Thoughts:
The result of the intriguing trial...which sees a novice defense lawyer against a well seasoned and skilled prosecutor...is a 22-year sentence for Danny. However Danny is lucky enough to share a cell with Sir Nicholas Moncrieff, who teaches him the ins and outs of surviving prison life. Danny learns well and begins to plot a scheme to enact his pound of flesh on the three men responsible not only for the death of his best friend but in a large part to Danny's 22 year sentence for a crime that all readers know....he didn't commit. Just when you think you have things figured out...Archer throws us an ending you just won’t see coming. Anyone that thrives on courtroom dramas will find this book irresistible. ( )
  Carol420 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Very interesting & suspenseful. Totally different twist. Excellent read in my opinion. ( )
  GailL | Jan 27, 2017 |

Archer, Jeffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allam, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jonathan and Marion
'Yes,' said Beth.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312944098, Mass Market Paperback)

If Danny Cartwright had proposed to Beth Wilson on any other day, he would not have been arrested and charged with the murder of his best friend. But when the prosecution witnesses happen to be a group of four upper-crust college friends—a barrister, a popular actor, an aristocrat, and the youngest partner in an established firm’s history—who is going to believe Danny’s side of the story?

Danny is sentenced to twenty-two years and sent to Belmarsh prison, the highest-security jail in the land, from where no inmate has ever escaped. But Spencer Craig, Lawrence Davenport, Gerald Payne, and Toby Mortimer all underestimate Danny’s determination to seek revenge—and the extent to which his fiancée Beth will go in pursuit of justice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:54 -0400)

A man framed for the murder of his best friend seeks revenge against the four men who put him in Belmarsh prison, the highest-security jail in the land, from where no inmate has ever escaped.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,999,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible