dismiss

One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First…

One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School (edition 1988)

by Scott Turow (Author)

One L, Scott Turow's journal of his first year at law school was a bestseller when it was first published in 1977, and has gone on to become a virtual bible for prospective law students. Not only does it introduce with remarkable clarity the ideas and issues that are the stuff of legal education; it brings alive the anxiety and competitiveness - with others and, even more, with oneself - that set the tone in this crucible of character building. Turow's multidimensional delving into his protagonists' psyches and his marvellous gift for suspense prefigure the achievements of his bestselling first novel, Presumed Innocent. Each September, a new crop of students enter Harvard Law School to begin an intense, often gruelling, sometimes harrowing year of introduction to the law. Turow's group of One Ls are fresh, bright, ambitious, and more than a little daunting. Even more impressive are the faculty: Perini, the dazzling, combative professor of contracts, who presents himself as the students' antagonist in their struggle to master his subject; Zechman, the reserved professor of torts who seems so indecisive the students fear he cannot teach; and Nicky Morris, a young, appealing man who stressed the humanistic aspects of law. Will the One Ls survive? Will they excel? Will they make the Law Review, the outward and visible sign of success in this ultra-conservative microcosm? With remarkable insight into both his fellows and himself, Turow leads us through the ups and downs, the small triumphs and tragedies of the year, in an absorbing and thought-provoking narrative that teaches the reader not only about law school and the law but about the human beings who make them what they are.… (more)
Member:GrumpyLawyer
Title:One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School
Authors:Scott Turow (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1988), Edition: 14th ptg., 10 pages

One L by Scott Turow (Author)

I was interested in this book because I'm not ever going to law school and the first-person perspective is the closest-thing I'll have. I am interested in different methods of instruction, so this brief look at the Socratic method (in 1977 from the student's perspective) was enlightening. The rest of the book was sort of heavy going, as Turow complains about everything that happened. He's honest about his bad behavior, though. ( )
  Pferdina | Jul 5, 2020 |
Extraordinary heat of the moment memoir of a student taking the first year of law at Harvard University. ( )
  Matt_B | Sep 29, 2019 |
Literature professor and published author, Scott Turow, decides that he liked the research for his book so much that he will attend law school. He chooses the venerated Harvard Law School and chronicles his first year as a law student there where they are called 1Ls.

Parts of the book were interesting and parts dragged. It seems law school, like most professional schools, tries to weed out students during the first year. This book makes me wish I'd kept a journal of my first year of dental school and published a book about ( )
  JenniferRobb | Aug 27, 2017 |
Wasn't needed even after I got it. I found it boring to say the least even if it helped my friend. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
For Annette, with love and gratitude and admiration
They called us "One Ls," and there were 550 of us who came on the third of September to begin our careers in the law.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,189,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible