Primary Colors by Anonymous

Primary Colors (1996)

by Anonymous, Joe Klein (Author)

Other authors: Brent Furnas

1,920283,567 (3.47)17
    All too Human by George Stephanopoulos (bostonian71)
    All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren (elvisettey)
    elvisettey: Hard to ignore the debt here . . .
    The Librarian by Larry Beinhart (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: A different administration, different foibles, but still...
    Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley (BeckyJG)

English (26)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
When I bought this book the name on the cover was still "Anonymous" and the book was getting tremendous buzz because it was obvious Henry and Susan Stanton stood for Bill and Hilary Clinton and everyone was speculating someone close to them had to have written the book. But the reason I picked it up was simple. Back then I worked as a campaign staffer--in a presidential campaign no less, only on the state, not national level. And a fellow staffer told me I had to read this book--that it had the best description of what it's like inside a political campaign he had ever read.

He cited a particular passage about the ferocious pace and momentum of campaigns, and I skimmed through the book trying to find it, and this might have been it:

We moved into all of this so quickly that it was difficult to comprehend. It was as if we were being borne, actually propelled, through our schedule by a lunatic tide--we were sucked out of high school auditoriums. Kiwanis club luncheons, all the other stations of the cross, sucked into this narrow vortex, a combination of gauntlet and undertow.

But yes, this took me back--back to the land of coffee and donuts and no sleep, to all the cussin.' (I had been a rather priggish girl who wouldn't say even the mildest of oaths, a few months into campaign work I was lobbing F-bombs and S-words left and right. It has taken years to scrub my language clean of casual obscenity and I haven't completely succeeded.) But most of all the book gets right both what whets your taste for politics and for many causes distaste and disillusion. How Americans will forgive anything if you're charming and likable. That in politics you sell your soul for power and it's all good because you'll make up for all the reprehensible, dirty things you've done because you'll change the world! But what changes is you.

Note, I'm not involved in politics anymore. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Aug 16, 2013 |
Nice book. Mostly fun as a stroll down memory lane, back to the crazy, wacky days of campaign '92. ( )
  BrianFannin | May 31, 2013 |
Entertainingly written but full of loathsome people. ( )
  veracite | Apr 7, 2013 |
A very interesting book, that much I remember. To review properly, I'll have to re-read it. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Published in 1996, this is a fictionalized insider story of a staffer (a thinly disguised George Stephanopoulos) for a candidate (a very thinly disguised Bill Clinton) during primary season of the 1992 presidential campaign. I traveled a lot at that time and remember hearing people laughing on airplanes and when I’d look at their books it would be this, and there was high interest in uncovering the identity of “Anonymous” and matching the fictional politicians and staffers to their real-life counterparts.

It’s held up well -- still funny and also thoughtful, particularly regarding the moral complexity of political candidates and whether ends justify means -- but skip the novel if you’ve seen the film. Today’s “scorps” (the media corps -- “scorpions”) have of course ramped up exponentially. It was fun to read during campaign season and envision the behind-the-scenes dramas that were undoubtedly happening with each candidate misstep. ( )
  DetailMuse | Dec 13, 2012 |
"Primary Colors" is an odd book. But maybe the oddest thing about it is how good it is. In spite of its sins it is far and away the best thing I have read about the 1992 campaign; it breaks all the rules and lives to tell about it.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Michael Lewis (Jan 28, 1996)

As long as it's in the muck and sticking reasonably close to the facts (and lies) of 1992, Primary Colors is great fun. The descriptions of the campaign trail, from the union-hall meetings to the rubber-chicken dinners, are superb, as is the portrayal of Stanton's relationship with his wife, Susan. It's only when Primary Colors departs from its tasty combo of imaginative journalism and insider politics that it becomes ordinary.

Anonymousprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, JoeAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Furnas, Brentsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dorsman, RobertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He was a big fellow, looking seriously pale on the streets of Harlem in deep summer.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679448594, Hardcover)

The famous -- or infamous -- roman a clef about the 1992 Clinton presidential campaign. You've read the hype; now read the book.

Primary Colors has its rich rewards as a savvy insider's look at life on the stump. But it travels far beyond mere gossip and expose and discovers a convincing world of its own, peopled by smart cookies, nutcases, and wheeler-dealers, whose public and private lives illuminate each other -- sometimes by casting dark shadows. This story spans the novelistic spectrum from bedroom farce to high moral drama, and it paints a picture of the political state of the nation so vivid and authentic that one finds in it the deepest kind of truth -- the kind of truth that only fiction can tell.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:26 -0400)

The electoral campaign of a Southern governor for the presidency of the United States. Narrated by a half-black campaign staffer, the novel follows the governor--ably assisted by his dynamic wife, a lawyer--as he mixes calculation with sincerity, dodges a draft-controversy bullet, gorges on barbecues, poaches off others' plates, seduces the occasional innocent bystander and confronts the resulting sex scandals.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible