Angel Isle by Peter Dickinson

Angel Isle

by Peter Dickinson

I am a Peter Dickinson fan from way back, for both his mysteries and his fantasies. That said, I had difficulty engaging with this one. The difficulty may be that I did not reread The Ropemaker before I started this sequel. I definitely remember really liking the Ropemaker, both the book and the lead character. Another, less kind explanation, is that, at eighty, Dickinson is losing his power. What is almost certainly true is that I unintentionally set higher standards for this author based on previous experience and respect. I intend to try again, reasonably soon, and to start by rereading Ropemaker. ( )
  NeverStopTrying | Nov 22, 2008 |
For Hugh (and Jean, who doesn't have to read it)
A woman led a lame horse across an unpeopled landscape.

ONCE THE 24 MOST powerful magicians in the Empire pledged to use their magic only to protect the people. But the promise that bound them has now corrupted them. They have become a single terrible entity with a limitless desire for domination. Only the Ropemaker may be able to stop them, but he has not been seen for over 200 years. Into this dangerous world come Saranja, Maja, and Ribek. They seek the Ropemaker so that he might restore the ancient magic that protects their valley. It is the task they were born to, but now it seems there is far more than the valley at stake should they fail. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:37 -0400)

While seeking the Ropemaker to restore the ancient magic that will protect their valley, Saranja, Maja, and Ribek must outwit twenty-four of the empire's most powerful and evil magicians.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,046,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible