Sonnets from the Portuguese by Elizabeth…

Sonnets from the Portuguese (1850)

by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Yes, this poor book is covered in suede. I overlooked that, since it is one of the better versions of Sonnets from the Portuguese, which I love. There's no acknowledgement of the original author of either the introduction (entitled "A Note") nor of the brief commentary at the end. Avenel seemed to have specialized in out of copyright works; they were most active in the eighties.

This is the most complete set of sonnets, including the elusive 44, often titled "Future and Past" (not to be confused with "Past and Future" which is sadly NOT included).

Elizabeth Barrett Browning's sonnets are a joy to the heart, and a tribute to Robert Browning's persistence, love, and generous support. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Aug 20, 2014 |
I think that I might have liked these more when I was younger... ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 11, 2014 |
I had not expected this collection of love poems to be so melancholic. Although a degree of self-doubt and uncertainty goes along with any lovers thoughts, the tone here is of such low self-esteem, such self-recrimination that it strikes me that the poet was suffering from depression. But through the darkness, there are sparks of hope, that maybe love will come, will be true and will rescue.

In the end, the poet is redeemed and transformed by love, but it seems to have been a close-run thing.

There's such beautiful imagery in every poem that it's almost impossible to select one out above the others, but I particularly like Sonnet V:

I lift my heavy heart up solemnly,
As one Electra her sepulchral urn,
And, looking in thine eyes, I overturn
The ashes at thy feet. Behold and see
What a great heap of grief lay hid in me,
And how the red wild sparkles dimly burn
Through the ashen greyness. If thy foot in scorn
Could tread them out to darkness utterly,
It might be well perhaps. But if instead
Thou wait beside me for the wind to blow
The grey dust up,...those laurels on thine head,
O my Belovëd, will not shield thee so,
That none of all the fires shall scorch and shred
The hair beneath. Stand further off then! go! ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Mar 31, 2014 |
First book gift I gave to Mike. After 28 years, still sits on his night stand.n yes, he reads it. Occasionally. ( )
  Elpaca | May 1, 2013 |
Receiving this as a gift on my 18th birthday from my best friend was one of my "Coming of Age" moments. It opened a wonderful world of being able to express all of those emotions that were inundating me, mentally and physically. I can never thank her enough. ( )
  justicefortibet | Oct 8, 2012 |

Elizabeth Barrett Browningprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dean, ChristopherCalligraphersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duncan, J.A.Calligraphersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mayer, Fred A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mersand, JosephNotessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rilke, Rainer MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031274501X, Hardcover)

Elizabeth Barrett Browning was a prolific writer and reviewer in the Victorian period, and in her lifetime, her reputation as a poet was at least as great as that of her husband, poet Robert Browning. Some of her poetry has been noted in recent years for strong feminist themes, but the poems for which Elizabeth Barrett Browning is undoubtedly best know are Sonnets from the Portuguese.

Written for Robert Browning, who had affectionately nicknamed her his "little Portuguese," the sequence is a celebration of marriage, and of one of the most famous romances of the nineteenth century. Recognized for their Victorian tradition and discipline, these are some of the most passionate and memorable love poems in the English language. There are forty-four poems in the collection, including the very beautiful sonnet, "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:44 -0400)

Forty-four poems examine the depth and complexities of married love and shares a wife's feelings for her husband.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible