SONNETS FROM THE PORTUGUESE by Elizabeth B.…

SONNETS FROM THE PORTUGUESE (1850)

by Elizabeth B. Browning

Member:Marensr
Title:SONNETS FROM THE PORTUGUESE
Authors:Elizabeth B. Browning
Info:PETER PAUPER PRESS (date?), Hardcover
Tags:Poetry, Peter Pauper Press

Sonnets from the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1850)

I am not a fan of any 19th century literature simply because of the complexity of everything. It is so difficult to read, but I thought that I would explore something different for a change now that I am older and wiser. These sonnets are of love and emotions, which most can relate to after it has been dissected and analyzed further. I would not recommend this book to the below average or even the average reader because it will take a lot to understand on one's own. ( )
  sshelby23 | Sep 27, 2016 |
Classic, romantic poetry from 1850 Britain. ( )
  FoxTribeMama | Sep 24, 2016 |
I must say that I was slow to warm up to the poems and don't think I would have liked them as well without having read the Introduction first. Lovely, very personal. You can really see the path of the love affair between EBB and Robert Browning. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
Yes, this poor book is covered in suede. I overlooked that, since it is one of the better versions of Sonnets from the Portuguese, which I love. There's no acknowledgement of the original author of either the introduction (entitled "A Note") nor of the brief commentary at the end. Avenel seemed to have specialized in out of copyright works; they were most active in the eighties.

This is the most complete set of sonnets, including the elusive 44, often titled "Future and Past" (not to be confused with "Past and Future" which is sadly NOT included).

Elizabeth Barrett Browning's sonnets are a joy to the heart, and a tribute to Robert Browning's persistence, love, and generous support. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Aug 20, 2014 |
I think that I might have liked these more when I was younger... ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 11, 2014 |

Elizabeth Barrett Browningprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dean, ChristopherCalligraphersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duncan, J.A.Calligraphersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mayer, Fred A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mersand, JosephNotessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rilke, Rainer MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031274501X, Hardcover)

Elizabeth Barrett Browning was a prolific writer and reviewer in the Victorian period, and in her lifetime, her reputation as a poet was at least as great as that of her husband, poet Robert Browning. Some of her poetry has been noted in recent years for strong feminist themes, but the poems for which Elizabeth Barrett Browning is undoubtedly best know are Sonnets from the Portuguese.

Written for Robert Browning, who had affectionately nicknamed her his "little Portuguese," the sequence is a celebration of marriage, and of one of the most famous romances of the nineteenth century. Recognized for their Victorian tradition and discipline, these are some of the most passionate and memorable love poems in the English language. There are forty-four poems in the collection, including the very beautiful sonnet, "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:49 -0400)

Forty-four poems examine the depth and complexities of married love and shares a wife's feelings for her husband.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,721,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible