A Clockwork Orange [1971 film] by Stanley…

A Clockwork Orange [1971 film]

by Stanley Kubrick (Director/Screenwriter)

Other authors: Warren Clarke (Actor), Paul Farrell (Actor), Michael Gover (Actor), Patrick Magee (Actor), Malcolm McDowell (Actor)1 more, Anthony Sharp (Actor)

English (5)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  All (1)  All (9)
The government "cures" a violent teenager with conditioning.

It's not exactly what one might call subtle. Things are so big and cartoonish, it plays like social satire rather than the serious sci-fi analysis of Christian morality that it should have been. I used to think it was a great movie, but watching it yesterday (for the first time in about a decade) it just seemed silly and somewhat distasteful - not distasteful because of the violence, mind you, but mostly because of the visual style. I usually love Kubrick's visuals, but it didn't work for me this time. It doesn't fit this material; it glamorizes when it should be dissecting. Or maybe I'm just experiencing Kubrick overload from seeing three of his movies in the span of a week.

Concept: A
Music: A

Enjoyment: C plus

GPA: 2.8/4 ( )
  comfypants | Jan 29, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book very much. Be forewarned, though, that this book contains the kind of graphic violence that may be off-putting to sensitive readers. Sometimes, when I read fiction containing violence, I say to myself that this is just a story and try to read the narrative without making a value judgment. My daughter did not like this book, nor did she want to finish reading it. I had seen Stanley Kubrick’s movie “A Clockwork Orange”, many, many years ago, but I honestly could not remember anything about the story itself. Now I’d like to see the film again.

Narrated by the ultimate bad boy Alex, a 15-year-old hoodlum in England, the story follows his adventures with fellow “droogs” and what becomes of him after he is caught by the “millicents”. If you don’t understand some of these words, this is bit what the book is like. It is filled with Alex’s “nadsat” vocabulary which becomes easily understandable after following it throughout the book. At times, the newly-coined words seem amusing. In fact, the book is chock full of a very dark humor. I’m not sure how much of this book was written to be tongue-in-cheek or how much to be satire, but I found the story very entertaining and took what was written at litso (face) value. I find it interesting that this book has become a classic. It certainly is unique. ( )
2 vote SqueakyChu | Sep 18, 2011 |
A very difficult and challenging read, not helped by the frequent use of a made-up language!

Completely different ending from the movie. A thought provoking novel from a clearly twisted mind. ( )
  MandieZ | Dec 24, 2009 |
As clever and ironic a picture of a dark, dingy and shallow future as you'll find. Hard to tell which is better - Burgess' novel or Kubrik's film. ( )
  boeflak | May 17, 2007 |
I read this over Christmas, snowed in at a ski lodge, and found that a perfect combination to read this perfect novel. I couldn't imagine seeing Kubric's movice after reading this. Excellent. ( )
  ebethe | Apr 1, 2007 |

Kubrick, StanleyDirector/Screenwriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clarke, WarrenActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Farrell, PaulActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gover, MichaelActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Magee, PatrickActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McDowell, MalcolmActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sharp, AnthonyActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the film version. Do not combine film versions (DVDs, other video formats) with the original novel, or with the screenplay, or with other book versions.

At the same time, there is a book called "Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange," by Stanley Kubrick, which is a book, not a movie. Do not combine that to this.

Depicts a harrowing journey through a near-future world of decaying cities, murderous adolescents and nightmarish technologies of punishment and crime.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,667,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible