The Freedom Writers Diary : How a Teacher…

The Freedom Writers Diary : How a Teacher and 150 Teens Used Writing to… (1999)

by The Freedom Writers, Erin Gruwell

I rather enjoyed this book, though I definitely see some of the issues that others have mentioned such as the wording/phrasing sounding like it's trying too hard to portray certain sterotypes. I have seen the movie and enjoyed that as well.

All that being said, what these kids went through and had to endure was horrific and totally different from my life in every way. I cannot imagine having to be constantly worried about getting jumped, killed, shot, or stabbed every single day on top of having to deal with terrible or absentee parents. Every single person from the Freedom Writers has my utmost respect, including Ms. G who had the strength to pull and guide these kids along when so many other teachers would have jumped up and ran. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
In this book a group of underprivileged students maintain daily journals under the direction of their teacher. Erin Gruwell is starting her first job teaching. That as a freshman and sophomore English teacher a Woodrow Wilson High School. These 150 teens used writing to change themselves and the world around them. She was a brand new teacher and had a very difficult group of kids but she refused to let her kids fail in life. At first she was frightened when teaching such a hard group of students. Many of them were poor, and the teacher had big plans for her kids. She never gives up and teahces people that everyone deserves an education. It is a bunch of journal entries from her students that shows she teaches kids how to be successful in school and out side of school.

I like this book, but i think it can also be confusing for a middle school student. I think it is meant more for high school students. I like that it shares real life situations but I reeally don't understand what some of the kids are going through. I like that the teacher teaches them to be good writers. i know i need a lot of work in writing, and i think it is cool that the teacher didn't give up on her students. Many teahcers give up on their kids but dont really know what they are going through. ( )
  JordynG.B3 | Jan 8, 2018 |
I enjoy this book about students overcoming the odds. It is pretty inspirational.

*Review written on September 16, 2014.* ( )
  danaenicole | Oct 31, 2016 |
A must-read. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |

The Freedom Writersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gruwell, Erinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Filipovic, ZlataForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038549422X, Paperback)

Straight from the front line of urban America, the inspiring story of one fiercely determined teacher and her remarkable students.

As an idealistic twenty-three-year-old English teacher at Wilson High School in Long beach, California, Erin Gruwell confronted a room of “unteachable, at-risk” students. One day she intercepted a note with an ugly racial caricature, and angrily declared that this was precisely the sort of thing that led to the Holocaust—only to be met by uncomprehending looks. So she and her students, using the treasured books Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl and Zlata’s Diary: A Child’s Life in Sarajevo as their guides, undertook a life-changing, eye-opening, spirit-raising odyssey against intolerance and misunderstanding. They learned to see the parallels in these books to their own lives, recording their thoughts and feelings in diaries and dubbing themselves the “Freedom Writers” in homage to the civil rights activists “The Freedom Riders.”

With funds raised by a “Read-a-thon for Tolerance,” they arranged for Miep Gies, the courageous Dutch woman who sheltered the Frank family, to visit them in California, where she declared that Erin Gruwell’s students were “the real heroes.” Their efforts have paid off spectacularly, both in terms of recognition—appearances on “Prime Time Live” and “All Things Considered,” coverage in People magazine, a meeting with U.S. Secretary of Education Richard Riley—and educationally. All 150 Freedom Writers have graduated from high school and are now attending college.

With powerful entries from the students’ own diaries and a narrative text by Erin Gruwell, The Freedom Writers Diary is an uplifting, unforgettable example of how hard work, courage, and the spirit of determination changed the lives of a teacher and her students.

The authors’ proceeds from this book will be donated to The Tolerance Education Foundation, an organization set up to pay for the Freedom Writers’ college tuition. Erin Gruwell is now a visiting professor at California State University, Long Beach, where some of her students are Freedom Writers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:27 -0400)

Told through anonymous entries to protect their identities and allow for complete candor, The Freedom Writers Diary is filled with vignettes from 150 students who, like civil rights activist Rosa Parks and the Freedom Riders, heard society tell them where to go - and refused to listen.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,262,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible