The History of Love: A Novel by Nicole…

The History of Love: A Novel (2005)

by Nicole Krauss

English (244)  Dutch (5)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All (260)
I admit to having a weakness for stories that break my heart. This one succeeds on many levels. The book focuses on two different stories that are related through a book called "The History of Love".

Leo Gursky is a Jewish refugee of WWII. An old man, he lives alone now after a life of losing just about everything that was important to him, including a book he wrote as a young man called "The History of Love". The book contained his life story, the bulk of which was his love for a girl named Alma. Leo now spends his days trying to be seen by people, by going to the movies and spilling his popcorn, or to the grocery store to buy something and drop coins, or being hired to pose in the nude for an art class.

The other story is about two children, Alma and Emanuel Singer, who are grieving their dead father. Alma is trying to pull their mother from her grief by trying to fix her up with another man, but eventually gets sidetracked on a mission of her own. She also worries about her brother, nicknamed ‘Bird’. Bird has no friends and is becoming overly religious, to the point where he thinks he may be the Messiah. Alma was named after a character in a book that her father once gave her mother, called ‘The History of Love’.

The parts narrated by Leo are the best, and make you see the intense loneliness of the life he is leading. The two parts finally come together in an emotional climax that had me grabbing my box of Kleenex. If you love stories that squeeze your heart dry, try this book.
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
If words alone can make a book, then the History of Love takes the prize for eloquent and beautiful writing. But the story had me muddled in the middle, and after that I was just kind of waiting to get through to the end. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
The bestseller status of this book remains a mystery to me. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Loved it! ( )
  viviennestrauss | Dec 11, 2016 |
I was immediately drawn into this book by the voice of Leopold Gursky. I loved his self-deprecating humour. I was all set to give this 10/10 then a new narrator came in. I found the changing narrative and time frame complex and confusing. Maybe a re-read would clarify this for me. Nonetheless, this is a good read but one to be undertaken at a quieter time of year. ( )
  HelenBaker | Dec 5, 2016 |
Beskrivelse:
I en nedslitt leilighet i New York prøver Leo Gursky å overleve litt til. Hver kveld banker han på radiatoren for at naboen over skal høre at han fortsatt lever.Men livet hans har ikke alltid vært slik. For seksti år siden bodde han hjemme i Polen, der han forelsket seg og skrev en bok. Kjæresten mistet han da hun flyktet til Amerika rett før krigen. Boken ble også borte. Men uten at han selv er klar over det, har den overlevd: Den har krysset hav, blitt overlevert mellom generasjoner, og forandret liv. Fjorten år gamle Alma er oppkalt etter en person i denne boken. Etter at faren hennes døde, er hun fullt opptatt med å finne en ny kjæreste til moren, holde styr på en lillebror som tror han er Messias, og ta utførlige notater i et hefte hun kaller Hvordan overleve i villmarken, Bind tre. En dag dukker det opp et mystisk brev i posten, og Alma begir seg ut på jakt etter sin navnesøster.Personene i Kjærlighetens historie er mennesker man blir glad i. Hver for seg sysler de med gåter som på bemerkelsesverdig vis er forbundet med hverandre. Nicole Krauss har skrevet en medrivende og imponerende sammensatt roman om mennesker som har blitt avkuttet fra sin fortid, og som på hver sin pussige, rørende måte forsøker å få livet til å henge sammen.

For my grandparents, who taught me the opposite of disappearing and for Jonathan, my life
When they write my obituary. Tomorrow. Or the next day. It will say, Leo Gursky is survived by an apartment full of shit.
A thought crossed his face in a language I didn’t understand.
It’s also true that sometimes people felt things and because there was no word for them, they went unmentioned.  The oldest emotion in the world may be that of being moved, but to describe it and just to name it – must have been like trying to catch something invisible.
Maybe this is how I'll go, in a fit of laughter, what could be better, laughing and crying, laughing and singing, laughing so as to forget that I am alone, that it is the end of my life, that death is waiting outside the door for me.
The truth was I'd given up waiting long ago. The moment had passed, the door between the lives we could have led and the lives we led had shut in our faces. Or better to say, in my face.
Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.

Presents a narrative about an aged author who flees Nazi-occupied Poland leaving his unpublished manuscript behind and a teenage girl in New York who was named after the heroine in Leo's book which was published under a different man's name.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393328627, Paperback)

Nicole Krauss's The History of Love is a hauntingly beautiful novel about two characters whose lives are woven together in such complex ways that even after the last page is turned, the reader is left to wonder what really happened. In the hands of a less gifted writer, unraveling this tangled web could easily give way to complete chaos. However, under Krauss's watchful eye, these twists and turns only strengthen the impact of this enchanting book.

The History of Love spans of period of over 60 years and takes readers from Nazi-occupied Eastern Europe to present day Brighton Beach. At the center of each main character's psyche is the issue of loneliness, and the need to fill a void left empty by lost love. Leo Gursky is a retired locksmith who immigrates to New York after escaping SS officers in his native Poland, only to spend the last stage of his life terrified that no one will notice when he dies. ("I try to make a point of being seen. Sometimes when I'm out, I'll buy a juice even though I'm not thirsty.") Fourteen-year-old Alma Singer vacillates between wanting to memorialize her dead father and finding a way to lift her mother's veil of depression. At the same time, she's trying to save her brother Bird, who is convinced he may be the Messiah, from becoming a 10-year-old social pariah. As the connection between Leo and Alma is slowly unmasked, the desperation, along with the potential for salvation, of this unique pair is also revealed.

The poetry of her prose, along with an uncanny ability to embody two completely original characters, is what makes Krauss an expert at her craft. But in the end, it's the absolute belief in the uninteruption of love that makes this novel a pleasure, and a wonder to behold. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:47 -0400)

Sixty years after a book's publication, its author remembers his lost love and missing son, while a teenage girl named for one of the book's characters seeks her namesake, as well as a cure for her widowed mother's loneliness.

W.W. Norton

3 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393328627, 0393060349, 039332964X

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,326,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible