The history of love by Nicole Krauss

The history of love (2005)

by Nicole Krauss (Author)

7,020234515 (3.91)431

English (220)  Dutch (5)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (235)
Phony, contrived, derivative, boring. I didn't believe in a single character. ( )
  middlemarchhare | Nov 25, 2015 |
Having difficulty to pinpoint what I think of this book. On the one hand I liked it, was it interesting. The story described, the pieces of history, the characters.

On the other hand reading it made me very confused. The different lay outs, the many characters, the different voices. It was hard for me to try and distinguish them, to keep track of them during the book.

I think, I'll try to find a copy in Dutch, to give it another try. For the book is good and unusual enough to dig a bit further. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Nov 9, 2015 |
-this book takes you to the edge of heartbreak and back. Sincere & exquisitely written; read the last 12 pages on your own or else face public embarrassment as your emotions overwhelm you-- you've been warned! ( )
  VladVerano | Oct 20, 2015 |
I don't get it. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Sep 1, 2015 |
I really, really loved the characters in this book, especially at the beginning. Each chapter of the book is told from a different perspective, and gradually you start to see how it all is going to come together. The only problem with the book is that once you see how it is going to come together, it takes a while to get there.

When I started reading this book, I quickly felt that the characters were some of my favorites I'd gotten to know in a while. I wanted to know them in real life. But when I finished the book, I didn't miss them like I tend to miss characters I love. So I am giving the book four stars instead of five. But I would still recommend it. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
I en nedslitt leilighet i New York prøver Leo Gursky å overleve litt til. Hver kveld banker han på radiatoren for at naboen over skal høre at han fortsatt lever.Men livet hans har ikke alltid vært slik. For seksti år siden bodde han hjemme i Polen, der han forelsket seg og skrev en bok. Kjæresten mistet han da hun flyktet til Amerika rett før krigen. Boken ble også borte. Men uten at han selv er klar over det, har den overlevd: Den har krysset hav, blitt overlevert mellom generasjoner, og forandret liv. Fjorten år gamle Alma er oppkalt etter en person i denne boken. Etter at faren hennes døde, er hun fullt opptatt med å finne en ny kjæreste til moren, holde styr på en lillebror som tror han er Messias, og ta utførlige notater i et hefte hun kaller Hvordan overleve i villmarken, Bind tre. En dag dukker det opp et mystisk brev i posten, og Alma begir seg ut på jakt etter sin navnesøster.Personene i Kjærlighetens historie er mennesker man blir glad i. Hver for seg sysler de med gåter som på bemerkelsesverdig vis er forbundet med hverandre. Nicole Krauss har skrevet en medrivende og imponerende sammensatt roman om mennesker som har blitt avkuttet fra sin fortid, og som på hver sin pussige, rørende måte forsøker å få livet til å henge sammen.
For my grandparents, who taught me the opposite of disappearing and for Jonathan, my life
When they write my obituary. Tomorrow. Or the next day. It will say, Leo Gursky is survived by an apartment full of shit.
A thought crossed his face in a language I didn’t understand.
It’s also true that sometimes people felt things and because there was no word for them, they went unmentioned.  The oldest emotion in the world may be that of being moved, but to describe it and just to name it – must have been like trying to catch something invisible.

Presents a narrative about an aged author who flees Nazi-occupied Poland leaving his unpublished manuscript behind and a teenage girl in New York who was named after the heroine in Leo's book which was published under a different man's name.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393328627, Paperback)

Nicole Krauss's The History of Love is a hauntingly beautiful novel about two characters whose lives are woven together in such complex ways that even after the last page is turned, the reader is left to wonder what really happened. In the hands of a less gifted writer, unraveling this tangled web could easily give way to complete chaos. However, under Krauss's watchful eye, these twists and turns only strengthen the impact of this enchanting book.

The History of Love spans of period of over 60 years and takes readers from Nazi-occupied Eastern Europe to present day Brighton Beach. At the center of each main character's psyche is the issue of loneliness, and the need to fill a void left empty by lost love. Leo Gursky is a retired locksmith who immigrates to New York after escaping SS officers in his native Poland, only to spend the last stage of his life terrified that no one will notice when he dies. ("I try to make a point of being seen. Sometimes when I'm out, I'll buy a juice even though I'm not thirsty.") Fourteen-year-old Alma Singer vacillates between wanting to memorialize her dead father and finding a way to lift her mother's veil of depression. At the same time, she's trying to save her brother Bird, who is convinced he may be the Messiah, from becoming a 10-year-old social pariah. As the connection between Leo and Alma is slowly unmasked, the desperation, along with the potential for salvation, of this unique pair is also revealed.

The poetry of her prose, along with an uncanny ability to embody two completely original characters, is what makes Krauss an expert at her craft. But in the end, it's the absolute belief in the uninteruption of love that makes this novel a pleasure, and a wonder to behold. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:47 -0400)

Sixty years after a book's publication, its author remembers his lost love and missing son, while a teenage girl named for one of the book's characters seeks her namesake, as well as a cure for her widowed mother's loneliness.

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393328627, 0393060349

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,942,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible