The Seduction of the Crimson Rose by Lauren…

The Seduction of the Crimson Rose

by Lauren Willig

Series: Pink Carnation (4)

This is my review of the audio book. I LOVE the narrator, Kate Reading. She moves the story along and is quite entertaining.

This was by far my favorite of the series. I would strongly urge anyone to read this one out of the series; HOWEVER, Ms. Willig has a contemporary potential romance woven through the series so if you want the WHOLE story, then, yes, you need to start at the beginning with [b:The Secret History of the Pink Carnation|84351|The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (Pink Carnation, #1)|Lauren Willig|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1442617435s/84351.jpg|2950861].

This one was a treat, if for anything, the male and female protagonists were both bitter and/or cynical of the social mores and societal rules of their era, whereas the previous heroes/heroines were doe eyed and idealistic. I'll be honest, it was a refreshing change. ;]
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
I enjoyed this one and am looking forward to the next one! ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
I am continuing to enjoy Willig’s historical fiction/espionage/romance series. For me, a lot of the charm is that in each book Willig focuses attention on a different romantic couple, while continuing to bring earlier characters into the story line, where appropriate. I have to say that Lord Vaughn and Mary Alsworthy have been my favorite “couple” in the series so far. Lord Vaughn is the epitome of a wealthy sardonic rake of the time period, one who lives for verbal sparring and mental game-play with the individuals he encounters. Mary is the epitome of an icy goddess capable of matching Vaughn’s remarks with sharp, witty rejoiners of her own. The espionage case plays second fiddle, IMO, to the sparks flying between Vaughn and Mary, while the “complication” in Vaughn’s life works exceptionally well to spice up the plot. The developing romance between the present day characters of Eloise and Colin continues to move along at a nice pace but for me, it is the historical fiction part of the story that really captured my attention.

Overall, I am loving this series and looking forward to reading the next installment. ( )
  lkernagh | May 1, 2017 |
This episode stars Lord Vaughn and Mary Alsworthy. Both of them have appeared in earlier books. Neither was really a positive character. Mary is single-minded in her search for a husband and is willing to use all her womanly wiles to capture one. Lord Vaughn has been a mysterious character of uncertain loyalties.

In this story, Vaughn offers to pay for Mary's next London season if she will act as bait to capture the mysterious Black Tulip. Mary wants the season. In her defense, marriage really was the only acceptable path for a woman in her social class at the time. I loved the dialogue between the two of them as they sparred, exchanged quotations, and tried to outdo each other.

It was fun to watch two cynical and practical people fall in love but secrets from Lord Vaughn's past threaten to derail their bright new future. And the Black Tulip has plans of his own that create all sorts of danger for both Vaughn and Mary.

In the present section of the story, Eloise finally gets to have her date with Colin wherein she learns why he was so unwelcoming when she came to look at the family papers. ( )
1 vote kmartin802 | Jun 17, 2016 |
I ended up liking this a bit more than I expected. With the minimal exposure to the Mary from the previous books and the unflattering exposure to Lord Vaughn in book #3, I was not expecting to care about the relationship — either good or bad — between them. Thankfully, the author managed to produce a story that did not rely on a graphic coupling between the main characters. (To be fair, she flirted with it, but refrained from letting the temptation carry through.) Mary's character become a bit more sympathetic over the course of the book, but I honestly never got a firm grasp of what Willig wants us to think about Vaughn. And I sincerely hope the Black Tulip is not going to continue to be presumed dead at the end of successive books, only to resurrect in a new storyline. This is two books in a row, and the is-he (or she)-dead-or-inexplicably-escaped trope has already worn thin for me. I have two more books in the series on my shelf, but I am already beginning to feel a sense of ennui with both the historical and modern-day stories of the series. I may see if they are available from the library, but I definitely will not be buying any more of Ms. Willig's books; it's beginning to feel like the same basic story being told over and over with a basic change of name and location. ( )
  tarheel96 | Apr 11, 2014 |

Lauren Willigprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reading, KateReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, PenguinPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Four pounds,” demanded the fourteen-foot-high statute of Hercules.
Plots and counterplots, alliances and betrayals had all left their mark on his form. They were written on the thin, flexible line of his lips, designed to laugh or sneer as the occasion required; the hooded lids that shielded his eyes from scrutiny more effectively than any number of hats; the lean swordsman's body disguised beneath an incongruous armor of lace and jewels. Vaughn, Mary thought, would have made an excellent Caeser, raw power clothed in deadly pomp.
There was nothing like a bit of the Bard to add depth and grandeur to one's petty peccadilloes.

'I cannot imagine any recompense you might offer that would be of any interest to me.' Basking in self-satisfaction, Mary swished regally down the long corridor, giving Vaughn an excellent view of her elegant back and graceful carriage. Vaughn's amused voice snaked after her. 'Can't you? I can....'

England 1803. Mary Alsworthy accepts a secret assignment from Lord Vaughn: to infiltrate the ranks of the dreaded French spy, the Black Tulip, before he and his master Napoleon Bonaparte can stage their planned invasion of England

Every spy has a weakness, and for the Black Tulip that weakness is beautiful black-haired women. Mary easily catches his attention, but Lord Vaughn never anticipates that his own heart will be caught as well, and it won't be long before Mary and Vaughn find themselves lost in the shadows of a treacherous garden of lies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:45 -0400)

Determined to secure another London season without assistance from her new brother-in-law, Mary Alsworthy accepts a secret assignment from Lord Vaughn on behalf of the Pink Carnation: to infiltrate the ranks of the dreaded French spy, the Black Tulip, before he and his master can stage their planned invasion of England. Every spy has a weakness, and for the Black Tulip that weakness is black-haired women--his "petals" of the Tulip. A natural at the art of seduction, Mary easily catches the attention of the French spy, but Lord Vaughn never anticipates that his own heart will be caught as well.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,167,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible