The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon…

The Monster at the End of This Book (1971)

by Jon Stone, Mike Smollin (Illustrator)

When a Monster Is Born by Sean Taylor (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Another fun monster book!

SUMMARY
Grover notices that the title page says that there will be a monster at the end of the book. Grover pleads to the reader to not turn any pages so that we will not reach the end of the book and have to see the monster. Despite all of his efforts, we reach the end of the book and discover that the monster was Grover all along.

REVIEW
This book is such a great way to get your child to interact with the text. Grover speaks directly to the reader, insisting that he or she stops turning pages. The suspense factor also keeps students engaged in the reading. Students want to know what is going to happen if they do not listen to Grover and they do turn the page. Will there actually be a monster at the end of the book? Is there nothing there? I think I would tie this book into overcoming fear. Although Grover might have been scared to get to the end of the book, he discovered that there was nothing to be worried about and he was scared over nothing. ( )
  tstato1 | Sep 2, 2014 |
One of my FAVORITE books when I was a kid. I read this over and over. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
The Moster At The End Of This Book by Jon Stone, Illustrated Michael Smollin Publishered by Golden Books 2003, 24 pages a fun book when Grover finds out that there is a monster at the end of the book he fights with the reader on every page by tying the pages or nailing them and even building a brick wall until we find out he is the monster at the end. I liked this book it was one of my favorite books growing up I loved tearing though his obstacles to get to the end.
  joey_spencer | May 13, 2014 |
Possibly the best picture book in the history of the world ever. Also the first book I ever owned, received as a gift from my first grade teacher. There might be a bit of sentimental meaning in my love for this book. Still, it's amazing. Love Grover. ( )
  shellwitte | Dec 11, 2013 |
The Sesame Street Little Golden Book classic, The Monster at the End of this Book has been reprinted and updated into board book form to inspire giggles in a new generation of toddlers and young children. Grown-ups and early readers will enjoy sharing the story of lovable, furry old Grover, who, unable to wait for the book’s naturally beginning, breaks the fourth wall and addresses the readers immediately from the end papers regarding the title of the book. Grover is sent into a panic, which grows exponentially with each page. How can the reader, despite the desperate pleas and heroic efforts of Grover to block the reader from getting to the end, continue to turn pages and move closer and closer to the Monster? The answer is simply because it’s too much fun not to.
The Monster at the End of this Book hasn’t aged a day since its original release in 1971 (perhaps Mike Smollin’s illustrations have, but not terribly). This is the kind of book that has always and will continue to elicit cries of “Again! Again!” on the final page. Anxious children will especially benefit from multiple readings and the knowledge that they know exactly who the Monster is and are sure that Grover’s fears are unfounded. Here’s hoping that all that parents out there have honed their dramatic reading skills in preparation. ( )
  ARQuay | Oct 27, 2013 |

Jon Stoneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smollin, MikeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is a very dull page. What is on the next page?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037582913X, Hardcover)

Many, many adults name this book as their favorite Little Golden Book. Generations of kids have interacted with lovable, furry old Grover as he begs the reader not to turn the page—for fear of a monster at the end of the book. “Oh, I am so embarrassed,” he says on the last page . . . for, of course, the monster is Grover himself! This all-time favorite is now available as a Big Little Golden Book—perfect for lap-time reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:54 -0400)

Grover worries page by page about meeting the monster at the end of this book.

1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,995,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible