The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon…

The Monster at the End of This Book (1971)

by Jon Stone, Mike Smollin (Illustrator)

When a Monster Is Born by Sean Taylor (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Another fun monster book!

The Moster At The End Of This Book by Jon Stone, Illustrated Michael Smollin Publishered by Golden Books 2003, 24 pages a fun book when Grover finds out that there is a monster at the end of the book he fights with the reader on every page by tying the pages or nailing them and even building a brick wall until we find out he is the monster at the end. I liked this book it was one of my favorite books growing up I loved tearing though his obstacles to get to the end.
  joey_spencer | May 13, 2014 |
Possibly the best picture book in the history of the world ever. Also the first book I ever owned, received as a gift from my first grade teacher. There might be a bit of sentimental meaning in my love for this book. Still, it's amazing. Love Grover. ( )
  shellwitte | Dec 11, 2013 |
The Sesame Street Little Golden Book classic, The Monster at the End of this Book has been reprinted and updated into board book form to inspire giggles in a new generation of toddlers and young children. Grown-ups and early readers will enjoy sharing the story of lovable, furry old Grover, who, unable to wait for the book’s naturally beginning, breaks the fourth wall and addresses the readers immediately from the end papers regarding the title of the book. Grover is sent into a panic, which grows exponentially with each page. How can the reader, despite the desperate pleas and heroic efforts of Grover to block the reader from getting to the end, continue to turn pages and move closer and closer to the Monster? The answer is simply because it’s too much fun not to.
The Monster at the End of this Book hasn’t aged a day since its original release in 1971 (perhaps Mike Smollin’s illustrations have, but not terribly). This is the kind of book that has always and will continue to elicit cries of “Again! Again!” on the final page. Anxious children will especially benefit from multiple readings and the knowledge that they know exactly who the Monster is and are sure that Grover’s fears are unfounded. Here’s hoping that all that parents out there have honed their dramatic reading skills in preparation. ( )
  ARQuay | Oct 27, 2013 |
I remember my father sitting at the kitchen table reading the Sunday paper, I was about three years old I was holding this book in my hand and begging him to teach me how to read. This was the first book I read. ( )
  TamaraJCollins | Aug 13, 2013 |
I used to read this book to my sister, doing all of Grover's terrified voices as she giggled along. This was such an surprising memory to end up seeing through the eyes of tonight. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |

Jon Stoneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smollin, MikeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is a very dull page. What is on the next page?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037582913X, Hardcover)

Many, many adults name this book as their favorite Little Golden Book. Generations of kids have interacted with lovable, furry old Grover as he begs the reader not to turn the page—for fear of a monster at the end of the book. “Oh, I am so embarrassed,” he says on the last page . . . for, of course, the monster is Grover himself! This all-time favorite is now available as a Big Little Golden Book—perfect for lap-time reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:54 -0400)

Grover worries page by page about meeting the monster at the end of this book.

1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible