The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon…

The Monster at the End of This Book (1971)

by Jon Stone, Mike Smollin (Illustrator)

When a Monster Is Born by Sean Taylor (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Another fun monster book!

Growing up, my family didn't have cable, which was the only way to watch 'Sesame Street' in Austria at the time and thus, I grew up without Grover, Big Bird, Ernie and all the other wonderful characters on the show. It is something I will always regret and something I will not do to my children. However, every now and then, my aunts would send me picture books featuring some of the Sesame Street characters.The book grabs your attention from the very first line, with Grover teasing your child's curiosity about a potential monster at the end of the book, all the while begging your child NOT to turn the page. It allows and encourages disobedience in a humorous way but also encourages to keep reading, which might be very helpful with children who are struggling. It also teaches the reader to finish what you start, to foster a healthy sense of curiosity, and not to let fear keep you from seeing something through. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Feb 27, 2015 |
The interactive components experienced when reading this book as an app make it absolutely wonderful for non-readers, early readers...heck for all ages. This is one of those books I have in my iPad center in the library because students will "read" it over and over and over again. This would also be a fun activity around Halloween time.
  PolyDrive | Feb 7, 2015 |
Clearly only a 5 star rating is appropriate for such a childhood classic. ( )
  evementen | Dec 23, 2014 |
Such a funny book that follows Grover! This book will go well with a lesson on predictions! The pictures influence a lot of the book.
  kelskemp | Nov 25, 2014 |
SUMMARY
Grover notices that the title page says that there will be a monster at the end of the book. Grover pleads to the reader to not turn any pages so that we will not reach the end of the book and have to see the monster. Despite all of his efforts, we reach the end of the book and discover that the monster was Grover all along.

REVIEW
This book is such a great way to get your child to interact with the text. Grover speaks directly to the reader, insisting that he or she stops turning pages. The suspense factor also keeps students engaged in the reading. Students want to know what is going to happen if they do not listen to Grover and they do turn the page. Will there actually be a monster at the end of the book? Is there nothing there? I think I would tie this book into overcoming fear. Although Grover might have been scared to get to the end of the book, he discovered that there was nothing to be worried about and he was scared over nothing. ( )
  tstato1 | Sep 2, 2014 |

Jon Stoneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smollin, MikeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is a very dull page. What is on the next page?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037582913X, Hardcover)

Many, many adults name this book as their favorite Little Golden Book. Generations of kids have interacted with lovable, furry old Grover as he begs the reader not to turn the page—for fear of a monster at the end of the book. “Oh, I am so embarrassed,” he says on the last page . . . for, of course, the monster is Grover himself! This all-time favorite is now available as a Big Little Golden Book—perfect for lap-time reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:54 -0400)

Grover worries page by page about meeting the monster at the end of this book.

1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,769,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible