The Recognitions (American Literature…

The Recognitions (American Literature (Dalkey Archive)) (original 1955; edition 2012)

by William Gaddis, William H. Gass (Introduction)

1,230176,465 (4.41)1 / 108
Member:LitClique
Title:The Recognitions (American Literature (Dalkey Archive))
Authors:William Gaddis
Other authors:William H. Gass (Introduction)
Info:Dalkey Archive Press (2012), Paperback, 976 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:bookworms, read2013

The Recognitions by William Gaddis (1955)

Men in Space by Tom McCarthy (michaeljohn)
    michaeljohn: Both are postmodern novels centering around art forgery.
    What's Bred in the Bone by Robertson Davies (erezv)

English (15)  German (1)  English (1)  All languages (17)
Confessional! What do you get when you combine these factors: a reading list still over 4,000 titles long, Book Challenge rules which address when to not read a book, and a book 956 pages long with a plot no one can explain? Me, quitting this book! I read plenty of other reviews urging me to "stick with it" and to "keep reading despite the nonsense." Can't do it. Not one of the reviews really told me what the book was about except in some obscure and round-about way involving art, religion and the postmodern condition, all the (many) characters are seemingly adrift with endless and pointless dialogues, and there never seemed to be an end to the literacy allusions and absurdity. There. I said it. Hated it with two thumbs down. Maybe, when I'm feeling a bit more scholarly and have all the time in the world, I'll pick it up again. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Dec 8, 2014 |
... and a half.

"They try to say their paintings are the spirit of the times, don't you know, but good heaven's aren't the times bad enough without having pictures of it hanging all over the place?" ( )
1 vote | lawrenh | May 14, 2014 |
in a move i already hate, and with all these cold months to come, i've left myself only a few books, actual physical books, with like pages you can write on and never quite erase, for my eh pleasure. I just get so overwhelmed when i got stacks of interesting stuff when i am only available to take in one text at a time. how else could i possibly get myself around such a masterful pizzle ( )
  wensley | Dec 20, 2013 |
Finished it! The front and back covers ripped off! It was lovely, but also very long and at times I didn’t understand what was happening. I heeded Gass’ advice in the introduction and just forged ahead. If you like crazy wordsmithery and are interested in fraud and forgery in all its forms, this story is for you. I recommend reading it with a group of cool pals so you have some moral support. ( )
  eenee | Apr 2, 2013 |

I've completely lost interest. It started well.
  dmarsh451 | Mar 31, 2013 |

Gaddis, Williamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gass, William H.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nihil cavum neque sine signo apud Deum.
Irenaeus, Adversus haereses

{Nothing is empty or lacking significance to God.}
For Sarah

The awakened, lips parted, the hope, the new ships
Even Camilla had enjoyed masquerades, of the safe sort where the mask may be dropped at the critical moment it presumes itself as reality.

A novel of forgery, emotional and spiritual, as well as actual, with background ranging from New York and New England to a monastery outside Madrid.

Legacy Library: William Gaddis

William Gaddis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See William Gaddis's legacy profile.

See William Gaddis's author page.

262 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,365,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible