The Recognitions (American Literature…

The Recognitions (American Literature (Dalkey Archive)) (original 1955; edition 2012)

by William Gaddis, William H. Gass (Introduction)

1,185None6,769 (4.47)1 / 94
Member:LitClique
Title:The Recognitions (American Literature (Dalkey Archive))
Authors:William Gaddis
Other authors:William H. Gass (Introduction)
Info:Dalkey Archive Press (2012), Paperback, 976 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:bookworms, read2013

The Recognitions by William Gaddis (1955)

Men in space by Tom McCarthy (michaeljohn)
    michaeljohn: Both are postmodern novels centering around art forgery.
    What's Bred in the Bone by Robertson Davies (erezv)

English (14)  German (1)  English (1)  All languages (16)
in a move i already hate, and with all these cold months to come, i've left myself only a few books, actual physical books, with like pages you can write on and never quite erase, for my eh pleasure. I just get so overwhelmed when i got stacks of interesting stuff when i am only available to take in one text at a time. how else could i possibly get myself around such a masterful pizzle ( )
  wensley | Dec 20, 2013 |
Finished it! The front and back covers ripped off! It was lovely, but also very long and at times I didn’t understand what was happening. I heeded Gass’ advice in the introduction and just forged ahead. If you like crazy wordsmithery and are interested in fraud and forgery in all its forms, this story is for you. I recommend reading it with a group of cool pals so you have some moral support. ( )
  eenee | Apr 2, 2013 |

I've completely lost interest. It started well.
  dmarsh451 | Mar 31, 2013 |
There are so many good reviews of this on Goodreads already that I'm not sure if I can come up with something interesting or at least original. I'll save this as a project of its own, to be accompanied with organ music on some Italian vacation. Instead I'll offer up a quotation direct from the book itself. Not my words, but his.

And then they silenced, each bending forth, closer and closer, to
fix the book the other was carrying with a look of myopic recognition.
E€EYou reading that? both asked at once, withdrawing in surprise.
E€ENo. I'm just reviewing it, said the taller one, hunching back in
his green wool shirt .E€EA lousy twenty-five bucks. It'll take me the whole e ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
Decenni prima di D.F.Wallace, scritto nel '52 e tradotto in italiano da Mondadori fuori tempo massimo nel '67 (perfettamente in tema con la trama).
La religione che vince e quelle che perdono e non si capisce quale sia l'originale di che cosa; il senso del grottesco per gli ambienti artistici che fanno gli innovativi ma a cui un concetto come "avanguardia" neanche interessa; false perizie che trasformano in originali le opere false di quadri originali che spariscono e poi vengono giudicati copie false di quella falsa (ora originale); etc.
Una citazione per tutte: "Sì, io non vivo, io sono.. sono vissuto" che forse avrebbe fatto la gioia anche di Carmelo Bene. ( )
  frisco_morisco | Mar 25, 2013 |

Gaddis, Williamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gass, William H.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nihil cavum neque sine signo apud Deum.
Irenaeus, Adversus haereses

{Nothing is empty or lacking significance to God.}
For Sarah

The awakened, lips parted, the hope, the new ships
Even Camilla had enjoyed masquerades, of the safe sort where the mask may be dropped at the critical moment it presumes itself as reality.

A novel of forgery, emotional and spiritual, as well as actual, with background ranging from New York and New England to a monastery outside Madrid.

Legacy Library: William Gaddis

William Gaddis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See William Gaddis's legacy profile.

See William Gaddis's author page.

262 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible