The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander…

The Sunday Philosophy Club (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Member:alluvia
Title:The Sunday Philosophy Club
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Info:Vintage Canada (2005), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***

The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith (2004)

Death of a Snob by M. C. Beaton (carlym)
    carlym: Both are cozy mysteries set in Scotland.
    One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson (2810michael)

English (89)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (93)
This book is really a rich Scottish woman's philosophical thoughts with a not-so-strong mystery in between. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy philosophy, & I enjoyed those philosophical rants, but I don't know if they belonged in the book because the outcome, to me, was particularly immoral. What is the point of going on & on about ethics & such without applying it? I really did not like the end. Neither did I like the whole insider-trading lead. It was horribly painful to sit through. I did, however, like some of the characters, like Grace and Jamie. Cat is okay, but if I wanted to read about that kinda stuff I would go to the Young Adult section. I wish Toby's character was more developed, I think he would have been more like-able, when the author just presents him as neutral, really. The avalanche trains of thought were funny. I wish the lead character was someone I could like, but I didn't like her much in this one. I will give her a second chance ... eventually. Something tells me I would rather just the author write a book on philosophy, & another on Scottish history & culture, though. ( )
  mvbdlr | Aug 2, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book although not quite as much as the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency or 44 Scotland Street series. I kept waiting for Isabel to ask if someone else went to the concert with Mark-to me the most obvious question. Also, she never did get to have a meeting of the titled club. I will read the next book because I already have it,, but we'll see after that. ( )
  eliorajoy | Jun 1, 2014 |
Isabel Dalhousie, editor of the review of Applied Ethics, witnesses the fall of a young man from the upper balcony of a music hall in Edinburgh, Scotland. Suspicious that it wasn't an accident, she proceeds to investigate. When a friend of the victim suggests he feared something at work, she seems to have found a case of insider trading that points to several possible murderers.

The plot goes through several twists and turns plus excerpts we read excerpts from articles on moral and ethical issues that she is editing for the journal. For anyone living in Edinburgh, this would be fun to follow her movements through the city. Not up to Smith's "No.1 Ladies Detective Agency" series but still fun to read. ( )
  lamour | Apr 7, 2014 |
I've enjoyed every book that I've read authored by Alexander McCall Smith. This novel introduces Isabel Dalhousie, editor of the "Review of Applied Ethics". She's not a professional detective but appears to get involved in situations that she happens into. ( )
  kp9949 | Feb 19, 2014 |
I'm not sure that I will continue with this series. It was a sweet easy read, but I didn't get as involved as I have with McCall Smith's other books. Maybe just timing. It is typical of his writing. ( )
1 vote njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Her penchant for conducting moral arguments with herself is well-developed, but it can be less than riveting for the reader. Why does Isabel find herself drawn into the affairs of others? Is it because there is some moral imperative leading her to do so? Is it because man has an obligation to his fellow man? (Or is it because ladies who like to investigate crimes can be ladies who sell many, many books?)

...this book is a clear demonstration of Mr. McCall Smith's own philosophy: that there is wisdom in inviting readers into a world of kindness, gentility and creature comforts. Offer the literary equivalent of herbal tea and a cozy fire. They'll come back for more.

This is for James and Marcia Childress
Isabel Dalhousie saw the young man fall from the edge of the upper circle, from the gods.
Pickled onions had nothing to do with moral imagination, but were important in their own quiet, vinegary way, supposed Isabel.
When the beautiful died, it was the same as when the less well blessed died; that was obvious. But why did it seem more tragic that Rupert Brooke, or Byron for that matter, should die, than other young men? Perhaps it was because we love the beautiful more, or because Death's momentary victory is all the greater. Nobody, he says, smiling, is too beautiful not to be taken by me.

Amateur sleuth Isabel Dalhousie is a philosopher who also uses her training to solve unusual mysteries. Isabel is Editor of the Review of Applied Ethics - which addresses such questions as 'Truth telling in sexual relationships' - and she also hosts The Sunday Philosophy Club at her house in Edinburgh. Behind the city's Georgian facades its moral compasses are spinning with greed, dishonesty and murderous intent. Instinct tells Isabel that the young man who tumbled to his death in front of her eyes at a concert in the Usher Hall didn't fall. He was pushed. With Isabel Dalhousie Alexander McCall Smith introduces a new and pneumatic female sleuth to tackle murder, mayhem - and the mysteries of life. As her hero WH Auden maintained, classic detective fiction stems from a desire for an uncorrupted Eden which the detective, as an agent of God, can return to us. But then Isabel, being a philosopher, has a thing or two to say about God as well.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:43 -0400)

Amateur sleuth Isabel Dalhousie is a philosopher who also uses her training to solve unusual mysteries. Instinct tells Isabel that the young man who tumbled to his death in front of her eyes at a concert in the Usher Hall didn't fall - he was pushed.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,356,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible