The Temple of My Familiar by Alice Walker

The Temple of My Familiar (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Alice Walker

Member:mypolaropposite
Title:The Temple of My Familiar
Authors:Alice Walker
Info:Pocket (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages

The Temple of My Familiar by Alice Walker (1989)

Wonderful but confusing. Tracks various lives interweaving past and present --in Africa, Central America, US--some in touch with Spirit, some struggling and learning to come to terms with their family, but not in a didactic way.
[read 2001-18 yr ago]
  juniperSun | Jan 18, 2019 |
Part love story, part fable, part feminist manifesto, part political statement, Walker's novel follows a cast of interrelated characters, most of them black. and each It is a sequel to "The Color Purple"
  brendanus | Oct 19, 2018 |
A meandering discourse on personal discovery, past lives, race, interpersonal relationships, all framed in a narrative that is unpredictable and hard to follow. The character development was quite well done but the overall effect is preachy. Not at al my sort of thing. ( )
  turtlesleap | Jun 23, 2017 |
great novel @ 500,000 years Black History + romances, marriages, women who have lived many lives before - great ideas
museums - other peoples booty
colleges for consumers
Burden child w/ unbearable history

It is the story of the dispossessed and displaced, of peoples whose history is ancient and whose future is yet to come. Here we meet Lissie, a woman of many pasts; Arveyda the great guitarist and his Latin American wife who has had to flee her homeland; Suwelo, the history teacher, and his former wife Fanny who has fallen in love with spirits. Hovering tantalisingly above their stories are Miss Celie and Shug, the beloved characters from THE COLOUR PURPLE.
  christinejoseph | Nov 14, 2015 |
Not a badly written book, but I couldn't get into it. Introspective characters and a meandering journey of self discovery, isn't really my thing. ( )
  Lostshadows | Mar 21, 2015 |
To Robert, in whom the Goddess shines
In the old country in South America, Carlotta's grandmother, Zede, had been a seamstress, but really more of a sewing magician.

Three couples, two in crisis, talk about themselves and reconstruct the missing pieces of the past and in the end, they deeply affect one another. Transcending the conventions of time and place, Walker's novel moves from contemporary America, England, and Africa to unfamiliar primal worlds, where women, men, and animals socialize in surprising ways. The author of The Color Purple has created a mesmerizing novel of vision and spirit.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,375,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible