The Year of Yes by Maria Dahvana Headley

The Year of Yes (edition 2006)

by Maria Dahvana Headley

Member:genie78
Title:The Year of Yes
Authors:Maria Dahvana Headley
Info:Hyperion (2006), Hardcover
Tags:Memoirs

The Year of Yes by Maria Dahvana Headley

This was entertaining, but I wasn't expecting going into it that the author would be so young. Throwing aside expectations at age 20 isn't as difficult or remarkable as someone undertaking the same project at, say, age 40, if for no other reason than a woman of the latter age probably wouldn't be asked out 12 times in every block of the city.

Her age was a big issue for me, throughout the book and especially at the end. Yeah, she fell in love... but it's really, really not the same to be 21 and meet your knight in shining armor after kissing a lot of frogs as it is when you're older and you kind of *have* to settle a little bit more. ( )
  Seven.Stories.Press | Jun 13, 2014 |
A fun memoir of Headley's young adulthood in New York. Headley decides to accept every single date invitation she receives for a year. Her attitude is refreshing, her gameness amusing, and the results are almost predictably heartwarming. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I heard about this book when I saw an interview with the author on TV. She came across as warm, funny, and talked about how saying yes opened her life to such wonderful things. The book is a bit different. She does a great job showing how her dysfunctional upbringing made it hard for her to have stable relationships. She also goes through the emotional pulls of those relationships, and how they affected her. I didn't like her choices, and there were many times when she seemed to be more of an observer than a participant. On the other hand, I remember being in my early 20s, and a lot of my relationship choices were similarly adrift.

Headley is an excellent writer, and I enjoyed the book. The one complaint I have is that the successful relationship, with her husband, referred to in the book as The Playwright, gets really short shrift. She describes their meeting, and it is the only part that seems fake, mannered rather than authentic. (She sensed a deep sadness in him, hidden by his professional smile. Yuck.) Later, as an aside, she mentions that they were writing letters back and forth, and he had become a friend. How did that happen? When? Then, boom! Happy ending! I understand that her husband may not want the details of their relationship out there, especially since he was married to the mother of his children at the time. But this was the one part of the book that felt less than honest, and it stood out against the rest of her writing. ( )
  teckelvik | Nov 21, 2012 |
One of the few books i couldn't finish. Got half way still didn't feel anything for the characters or the story. ( )
  Silverlily26 | Jul 22, 2012 |
This reminded me of 'A Thousnd Days in Venice'. That same neurotic voice. It is entertaining and has a certain humanity to it which is endearing - I loved many of the characters she meets and they are described, on the whole, as real, interesting, valid people. However, the flow just didn't seem to be there.

And the thing that annoyed me the most was that the acknowledgements at the beginning tell you how the book is going to end - I hate that. ( )
  devilish2 | May 29, 2012 |

"Why not go out on a date with everyone who asks you? Plenty of reasons. They might be crazy. They might be creepy. They might be something other than what you're looking for. But then again, how would you know? Isn't love supposed to be blind? Isn't it supposed to be about who the person really is, not about what they look like?" "The Year of Yes is an account of one woman's quest to find a man she can stand (for longer than a couple of hours). Frustrated by her own pitiful taste, writer Maria Headley decided to leave her love life up to fate, going out with everyone who asked her: homeless men, taxi drivers and yes, even a couple of women. Opening her heart and mind to the possibility that her perfect match might be the person she least expected, she spent twelve months dating most of New York City."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,256,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible