Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich…

Thus Spoke Zarathustra (1885)

by Friedrich Nietzsche

The Anti-Christ by Friedrich Nietzsche (YagamiLight)
    The elements of metaphysics : being a guide for lectures and private use by Paul Deussen (galacticus)
    galacticus: Deussen was a lifelong friend of Nietzsche. They were students at Gymnasium; both earned Philology degrees; both became professors; but more importantly, both were students of Schopenhauer.
    Sartor Resartus and On Heroes and Hero Worship by Thomas Carlyle (slickdpdx)
    slickdpdx: It is as if Carlyle willed Nietzsche into being.

English (42)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (56)
This book is so different from anything else I've ever read that I don't quite know what to say. Don't... try... this... at home? ( )
  trilliams | May 30, 2015 |
Seductively attractive writing style. ( )
  DavidCLDriedger | Apr 22, 2015 |
Ah Nietzsche, you crazy old cat. Doesn't hold up nearly as well to a re-reading in my 40s, compared to the impression it made upon me in my 20s. Beautiful Folio Society edition. ( )
  kcshankd | Mar 31, 2015 |
First book recommended by my Jr. High History teacher. It was good to know it's out there. ( )
  Ra.Aiyana | Sep 1, 2014 |
I find it very difficult to rate or assess--or even make much sense of--this book. Reading it I often thought to myself it was little wonder Nietzsche ended his life in an insane asylum. I don't know that I can say I really "liked" it (three stars) or found it "OK" (two stars on Goodreads) but I just can't say I had a "meh" reaction or hated it--I did find it worthwhile a read--thought-provoking and even beautiful in parts.

It's not what I expected. I'd heard various things about Nietzsche. That he was Ayn Rand on steroids. That he was a seminal philosopher and this his most important (or just infamous?) work. That he is the "Godfather of Fascism." I can't say I saw any of those things in this work. Whatever you might think of Ayn Rand's arguments, she does have them, even in her novels--indeed, it's what many readers complain about in her speechifying. Whatever I might think of Plato or Kant or Rousseau, or find difficult or abstruse, I do recognize they are presenting reasoned logical arguments for their positions worthy of philosophy. Nietzsche is different, or at least Thus Spake Zarathustra is. It's famously full of aphorisms--that is strikingly stated views we're supposed to take on faith so to speak--as in sacred texts. Indeed, the style very deliberately echoes the rhythms and rhetoric of scripture. Zarathustra is the character and mouthpiece for a philosophy presented through speeches, parables and stories--such as what happens when he's bitten by a snake--but not really through reasoned argument. To my mind that takes it out of the realm of philosophy and makes this more akin to Lao-Tzu's Tao Te Ching than Plato's Republic.

And I admit, for all the notorious calls for the "Superman" and references to a "will to power" I found it hard to see the roots of fascism here--unless you really, really twist things. In contrast it was easy to see the roots of the totalitarian left in Plato's Republic and Rousseau's Social Contract. Maybe it's just that given we're much more sympathetic to the totalitarian left in America (I had several Marxist professors) I'm much more alive to the implications in works that tend that way. But I could see Nietzsche's call for the Superman as a call to aspire to the best in ourselves--I didn't detect anything racist or particularly Darwinian in it. Similarly I could see the "will to power" as more ambitious striving than a call for domination. Nor did I find anything anti-semitic in its thrust--Nietzsche seems an equal opportunity iconoclast. I do resonate a bit with his message about religion presenting a "slave" mentality. That's one of the things I find most disturbing about religion, besides its basis in the supernatural. That the call of religion above all is for unquestioning obedience, and every time I see a reference to God using "He" in uppercase I'm reminded of and am disturbed by that.

But then the assessment above means assuming I read Nietzsche right, and I'm by no means sure about that on a first read, and am doubtful I'd go in for seconds. He's certainly an interesting if disturbing thinker. ( )
1 vote LisaMaria_C | Apr 21, 2014 |

Marsman, HendrikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsman, HendrikIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nikanor TeratologenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuart, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If there are any persons who contest a received opinion...let us thank them for it, open our minds to listen to them, and rejoice that there is someone to do for us what we otherwise ought, if we have any regard for either the certainty or the vitality of our convictions, to do with much greater labor for ourselves. - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
When Zarathustra was thirty years old he left his home and the lake and went into the mountains.
But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
"When the truth has triumphed for once, he has asked what great lie has fought for it."
Nietzsche's most overtly lyrical work, in which ideas including the death of God and the eternal recurrence of the same events (both seen in their earlier stages in The Gay Science) are placed in the mouth of a wandering anti-prophet. Technically incomplete; the fourth book was originally intended as an intermezzo.
Man's a bridge between
Animal and superman.
I've a big moustache.

(Carnophile)
God is dead. Now what?
Check out related volumes.
Like this one, and this.

(Carnophile)

Nietzsche was one of the most revolutionary and subversive thinkers in Western philosophy, and "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" remains his most famous and influential work. It describes how the ancient Persian prophet Zarathustra descends from his solitude in the mountains to tell the world that God is dead and that the Superman, the human embodiment of divinity, is his successor. With blazing intensity and poetic brilliance, Nietzsche argues that the meaning of existence is not to be found in religious pieties or meek submission, but in an all-powerful life force: passionate, chaotic & free.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:57 -0400)

Translated from the German by R.J. Hollingdale.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140441182, 0140047484

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,514,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible