Thus Spoke Zarathustra: A Book for None and…

Thus Spoke Zarathustra: A Book for None and All (original 1885; edition 1978)

by Friedrich Nietzsche

A 19th-century literary masterpiece, tremendously influential in the arts and in philosophy, uses the Persian religious leader Zarathustra to voice the author's views, including the introduction of the controversial doctrine of the Übermensch, or "superman," a term later perverted by Nazi propagandists. A passionate, quasi-biblical style is employed to inspire readers.… (more)
Member:DReicht
Title:Thus Spoke Zarathustra: A Book for None and All
Authors:Friedrich Nietzsche
Info:Penguin Books (1978), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:to-read

Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche (1885)

The Antichrist by Friedrich Nietzsche (YagamiLight)
    The elements of metaphysics : being a guide for lectures and private use by Paul Deussen (galacticus)
    galacticus: Deussen was a lifelong friend of Nietzsche. They were students at Gymnasium; both earned Philology degrees; both became professors; but more importantly, both were students of Schopenhauer.
    Sartor Resartus and On Heroes and Hero Worship by Thomas Carlyle (slickdpdx)
    slickdpdx: It is as if Carlyle willed Nietzsche into being.

English (50)  Spanish (9)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (70)
If it's not a satire of religion, then I didn't understand it. Parts were stunning, parts were funny and it was all thought provoking.

I think this is one of those books that has to be read in small bits more than once. I am glad that I made the decision to plow through it this time and revisit it later. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
I never really understood all of the fuss over Nietzsche and after slogging my way half way through this book, I still don't, so I stopped reading it. At least it makes me look smart sitting on my library shelf and that's worth two stars alone. ( )
  Chickenman | Sep 12, 2018 |
Reminded me of the Koran. Short, Sweet and Authoritarian. Nietzsche being Nietzsche nonetheless, very difficult not to appreciate the satirical, nihilistic effect of the big metaphorical picture. ( )
  guhlitz | Sep 3, 2017 |
I can never make up my mind about Nietzsche. Is he a genius or a nitwit? Is he even, in the end, anything that can reasonably be called a "philosopher"?

My personal answer to the first question is (as you might have predicted) "both!" and to the second question ... well ... I am not even competent to answer this for myself, because my reading in philosophy has been somewhere between desultory and selective. My impression is that if you toss Nietzsche from the philosophical canon, you'd have to toss Kierkegaard as well, but that's based on very minimal experience with the great Dane.

The present book will not clear up either question for anyone -- I don't think, anyway. Even the translator admits that, in the end, Nietzsche really does go on and on and ... and one of the confusing things for me is that his ideas, such as they are, are pretty easy to summarize -- it's easy to give a capsule response to the question "what is the Overman," so one wonders why all these things, all these parables and stories that range from interesting to incredibly annoying, are necessary.

I don't think they are. I'm not going to condemn Nietzsche as a valueless writer, but I do think he's been over-rated. I think of him as more of a creative artist than as a rigorous thinker (I think of someone like Derrida, who in most ways couldn't be more different from Nietzsche, in the same way) ... a sort of cultural critic on steroids.

I can only take this book in snips and snaps. Reading much of it at once just makes me shift in my seat and anxious to go watch my cat be a loaf ... because I ultimately learn more from watching my cat be a loaf.

Your mileage, OF COURSE, may vary.
1 vote tungsten_peerts | May 31, 2017 |
I should preface this by saying I bought this book when I was sixteen, as Nietzsche is the prototypical philosopher for the kind of sixteen-year-old I was. The book was even marked with a yellow 'late slip' from high school. I was frequently late or absent from class and had a wealth of these very convenient bookmarks, and one ended up in the preface of this work because, you see, I didn't read this when I was sixteen (going on seventeen) as my mental state became too emotionally tumultuous for reading. In retrospect, this is entirely apt.

What strikes me about Nietzsche's fame in the canon of Western philosophy is that he's such an anomaly. This is not a book of Reason. This is not a book of Logic. There is nothing Rational here. Of course, that is what's best about it. It's the thing that draws those sixteen-year-olds in to Nietszche in particular. For him, there's no separation between intellect and passion. They derive from the same source, his intellectual reactions are also aesthetic and emotional and spiritual. (So spiritual. I definitely would not have understood at sixteen that Nietzsche could be so anti-athiestical. I would have been too dedicated to my own atheism to make sense of it.) But the notion that an idea can be repulsive or an experience of intense pleasure, the way he feels ideas, so strongly, his hypersensitivity to this-- there's still something for me in that.

My teenage self wouldn't have hesitated to give this book five stars, because it's an Important Book and Nietzsche deserves No Less and I probably would have missed everything except that thing about cunning sails upon dreadful seas. My two-star rating is mostly because this book didn't stir me the way I had imagined, because it doesn't change me, because I have no quick desire to read it again. ( )
3 vote likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |

Parkes, GrahamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parkes, GrahamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plūdons, VilisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuart, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If there are any persons who contest a received opinion...let us thank them for it, open our minds to listen to them, and rejoice that there is someone to do for us what we otherwise ought, if we have any regard for either the certainty or the vitality of our convictions, to do with much greater labor for ourselves.
— John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
When Zarathustra was thirty years old he left his home and the lake and went into the mountains.
But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
"When the truth has triumphed for once, he has asked what great lie has fought for it."

Zarathustra è un mito grandioso, in cui Nietzsche proietta, in un continuo alternarsi di allegoria e realtà, tutto il suo mondo interiore. La visione dell’uomo che emerge da queste pagine è del tutto inconsueta e rivoluzionaria: la razionalità cessa di essere l’unico criterio valido della conoscenza, l’arte non coincide più con l’ideale della purezza formale e la morale sfugge agli schemi borghesi. Zarathustra è l’uomo rappresentato come confine, la persona che sta dietro la passione e la musica delle parole. Una persona nata da Nietzsche stesso, ancor più nascosto dietro la sua opera, nelle pieghe di una scrittura che è anche una maschera, una forma di seduzione nella quale i pensieri scorrono in figure danzanti e la verità si dissolve in verità molteplici.
(piopas)
Man's a bridge between
Animal and superman.
I've a big moustache.

(Carnophile)
God is dead. Now what?
Check out related volumes.
Like this one, and this.

(Carnophile)

Legacy Library: Friedrich Nietzsche

Friedrich Nietzsche has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Friedrich Nietzsche's legacy profile.

See Friedrich Nietzsche's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140441182, 0140047484

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,824,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible