To Have and To Hold

by Jane Green

When Alice's wealthy-and much coveted-teenage crush, Joe, asks her to marry him, she is prepared to trade in her dream of a cottage filled with children, animals and home-cooked meals for what he has in mind for her: stilettos, blond highlights, and a diet. She tells herself that she's happy to sacrifice for love, especially when every woman in London would like to be in her shoes. But when her cheating prince charming is forced to relocate to New York as a result of an indiscretion with a female colleague, Alice feels her life spinning out of control. But soon enough, she finds herself renovating a country house in Connecticut - and in the process rediscovering herself. Friends, fresh air, and her best friend's boyfriend offer her a glimpse of a life and love she always wanted. But can she break Joe's spell?… (more)
Recently added byJuswill, Arina40, punisher123, ENOLE, AdryV

English (16)  Spanish (1)  All languages (17)
Alice had a schoolgirl crush on Joe. When she runs into him years later he's still gorgeous, rich, charming. And he's ready to settle down - with Alice! She can hardly believe her luck. And starting with the wedding, she changes every single thing about herself to be what Joe wants.

This was an excellent read; intelligent chick-lit. The characters were real and believable. Even the lying, philandering husband and the women willing to cheat with a married man are portrayed with a degree of sympathy, not as cardboard villains but as flawed humans with problems of their own.

I saw where the story was going pretty early on, but it was still a treat to follow the fates of all of these people and especially Alice's rediscovery of her true self. I would eagerly read more by this author. ( )
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
***SPOILER****
I was very disappointed. The book description describes a book about a woman overcoming a cheating husband. The majority of the book seemed to be about her husband cheating....versus the woman starting a new life.
  sweetfe | Jun 6, 2018 |
On Monday, October 09, 2006 I wrote on bookcrossing.com

7 out of 10
Well Thanks again. Read this 2 days ago and yes I liked it. An easy read. Lately most of my reads were quite depressing books so I am glad I had this one on my shelf to.

A warm typical chick litty book. thanks for sharing.

ETA: This is the same book as To Have and to Hold.
I had that one on my wish list and discovered this. I don't like when they do that.
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
This book was an easy and enjoyable read, but really nothing special. Alice was so lame and such a loser, that you had a hard time feeling bad for her. I like Jane Green, but this was not one of her better books. ( )
  tahoegirl | Jun 30, 2012 |
I've always really like everything else I've read by Jane Green. However, this book just left me cold. It seemed like it just went on forever, going over the same things over and over, how lonely Alice was, what a cad, jerk, philanderer Joe was. I thought the book would never end. I just wanted to shout at Alice "wake up! He's cheating, can't you see that!!" ( )
  readingrebecca | Jan 25, 2011 |
For Harrison, Tabitha, Nathaniel and Jasper
This is a story about Alice Chambers, who moved into a house that once belonged to the writer Rachel Danbury and who, in doing so, discovered something about herself, her marriage, and her capacity for love. Who changed her life.
Published as "To Have and to Hold" in US. Elsewhere as "Spellbound".

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,502,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible