What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by…

What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day

by Pearl Cleage

After a decade of elegant pleasures and luxe living with the Atlanta brothers and sisters with the best clothes and biggest dreams, Ava Johnson has temporarily returned home to Idlewild--her fabulous career and power plans smashed to bits by cold reality. But what she imagines to be the end is, instead, a beginning. Because, in the ten-plus years since Ava left, all the problems of the big city have come to roost in the sleepy North Michigan community whose ordinariness once drove her away; and she cannot turn her back on friends and family who sorely need her in the face of impending trouble and tragedy. Besides which, that one unthinkable, unmistakable thing is now happening to her: Ava Johnson is falling in love. Acclaimed playwright, essayist, New York Times bestselling author, and columnist Pearl Cleage has created a world rich in character, human drama, and deep, compassionate understanding, in a remarkable novel that sizzles with sensuality, hums with gritty truth, and sings and crackles with life-affirming energy.… (more)

Engrossing entertaining this book is a smart novel that will have readers laughing in recognition of the foibles of human nature as it lays bare its characters' and our own assumptions about class, sexuality, and love in unexpected and thoroughly grarifing ways.
  ACParakou | Nov 27, 2019 |
This book was 100% on my radar because of its inclusion on a couple of lists on listchallenges.com. Then when I saw it at a library sale on our ASTC trip to Tampa (for ridiculously cheap), I had to buy it. I had no idea (or had forgotten) going in that it takes place almost entirely in Idlewild, Michigan -- a small town not so very far from where I had lived before that we have driven through a dozen times. This unexpected connection endeared it to me.

Though I think I would have loved this book anyway. This book is so full of compassion, yet unflinching about the challenges of small town life. Characters are dealing with major health problems, grief, criminal pasts, and yet are so gentle with each other in providing space for all to grow.

Not that everyone in this book is gentle and compassionate. There are some real heels here. But in the end, we're given chances to understand them all, and why they've made the choices they've made -- even if we strongly condemn those choices.

I really loved this, and was grateful for the odd path that put it in my way. ( )
  greeniezona | Jun 8, 2019 |
I liked it, though I didn't care for how the pastor's story ended. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
Loved this book ( )
  PBreaux | Jul 3, 2016 |
Read this because of the title. It was okay, a moderately good chick-lit read with a little more tearjerking than average. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
I will bring you a whole person

and you will bring me a whole person

and we will have us twice as much

of love and everything.............

"Celebrations," Mari Evans

For Bill Bagwell,

21st-century love warrior

i'm sitting at the bar in the airport,minding my own business,trying to get psyched up for my flight,and I made the mistake of listening to one TV talk shows.
… we danced too wild, and we sang too long, and we laughed too hard, and we kissed too sweet, and threw back our heads and howled just as loud as we wanted to howl, because by now we were all old enough to know that what looks like crazy on an ordinary day looks a lot like love if you catch it in the moonlight.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,615,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible