A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane

A Drink Before the War (1994)

by Dennis Lehane

English (54)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (61)
A Drink Before the War was my first Dennis Lehane book and an excellent start to the Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro series. The only thing I wondered was, why the hell did it take me so long before reading this book?

I liked Patrick and Angie, I didn't like Phil, Angie's husband and wondered how long before she would get rid of him. But there was one person beside the detective duo that I liked; Bubba. I have a bit of fondness for one person armies! The case was interesting and seemed to be a simple one, just retrieve some documents. But as usual when it comes to the duo (as I came to learn reading more books about them) it never is that easy and soon they are up to their ears in trouble...

This is a great first book that I warmly recommend anyone that likes crime books to read! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Dennis Lehane
A DRINK BEFORE THE WAR
Harcourt Brace & Company, 1994
267 pages
Crime / Private Eye

A DRINK BEFORE THE WAR is Dennis Lehane's debut novel, and the first featuring P.I.s Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro.

Boston. Mid-1990s. When the cleaning lady at the State House goes missing on the same day as some sensitive documents, three politicians simply put one and one together. They figure the best chance at finding the woman and getting back what had been taken would be if they hired Kenzie and Gennaro for the job. Bringing in P.I.s keeps the police out of it, and unwanted attention is the last thing they want, or need. Not to mention, Kenzie's deceased father is something of a legend, a Hero firefighter who saved two kids from a burning high rise.

Problem is, no one told Kenzie or Gennaro exactly what the documents were. When they find the missing maid, technically their job is done. An easy payday. Unfortunately, Kenzie also wants answers. He smells a fish. The politicians remind him a lot of his father, and maybe that is why isn't satisfied with just doing the job he was hired to do. He wants to dig,and find answers to the new string of questions that keep coming to mind.

When it turns out the documents are actually gut-wrenching, compromising photographs, the focus of the entire case shifts. As Kenzie and Gennaro find them selves in danger at every turn. It isn't just the politicians after the "documents." There are two, major, rival gangs interested in obtaining the information. Bodies start piling up.

With an amazing cast of characters, from detectives, and journalists, to reliable crooks, and state resources, the taut thriller is an amazing read. While years ago I'd read Mystic River, and Shutter Island, I am mad that it has taken me this long to get back into Lehane's books. You know what though? I'm here now. And I am enjoying the reads!

Phillip Tomasso
Author of the Severed Empire Series
and The Vaccination Trilogy ( )
  ptom3 | Feb 7, 2017 |
Pretty trite, boring stuff. You can see this stuff any night on tv. Couldn't get through it. ( )
  ghefferon | Jul 27, 2016 |
Once I got past the disappointment that this wasn't at the level of Shutter Island, The Given Day, or Live by Night I enjoyed it for what it was: a gritty, hard hitting PI crime drama. The book was a good introduction to the team of McKenzie and Gennaro despite its too-snappy dialogue and all the wisecracks. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
3/13/14 ( )
  magerber | Feb 22, 2016 |
This novel is dedicated to my parents, Michael and Ann Lehane, and to Lawrence Corcoran, S.J.
My earliest memories involve fire.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380726238, Mass Market Paperback)

Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro are tough private investigators who know the blue-collar neighborhoods and ghettos of Boston's Dorchester section as only natives can. Working out of an old church belfry, Kenzie and Gennaro take on a seemingly simple assignment for a prominent politician: uncover the whereabouts of Jenna Angeline, a black cleaning woman who has allegedly stolen confidential Statehouse documents. But finding Jenna proves easy compared to staying alive once they have. The investigation escalates, implicating members of Jenna's family and rival gang leaders, while uncovering extortion, assassination, and child prostitution extending from bombed-out ghetto streets to the highest levels of state government.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:35 -0400)

Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro are private investigators in the blue-collar neighborhoods and ghettos of South Boston--they know it as only natives can. Working out of an old church belfry, Kenzie and Gennaro take on a seemingly simple assignment for a prominent politician: uncover the where-abouts of Jenna Angeline, a black cleaning woman who has allegedly stolen confidential state documents. Finding Jenna is easy compared to staying alive once they've got her. --from back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible