Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane

A Drink Before the War (original 1994; edition 2003)

by Dennis Lehane

Member:jimmaclachlan
Title:A Drink Before the War
Authors:Dennis Lehane
Info:Mariner Books (2003), Paperback, 267 pages
Collections:nonfiction
Tags:mystery-thriller

A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane (1994)

English (60)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (67)
A Drink Before the War was my first Dennis Lehane book and an excellent start to the Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro series. The only thing I wondered was, why the hell did it take me so long before reading this book?

I liked Patrick and Angie, I didn't like Phil, Angie's husband and wondered how long before she would get rid of him. But there was one person beside the detective duo that I liked; Bubba. I have a bit of fondness for one person armies! The case was interesting and seemed to be a simple one, just retrieve some documents. But as usual when it comes to the duo (as I came to learn reading more books about them) it never is that easy and soon they are up to their ears in trouble...

This is a great first book that I warmly recommend anyone that likes crime books to read! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
My first Kenzie and Gennaro and my first Lehane. Don't know why I waited so long. I think I was put off by all the standalone books when I really wanted a new series. This was brutal and fantastic. Lehane squares up to the inanity and the inevitability of racism with even more street rawness than George Pelecanos. Really fine stuff. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
My first Lehane. Not my last. There's a bit too much telling & moralizing, which just wouldn't work in third person. But Patrick Kenzie's smart-mouthed voice makes even preaching readable, and the story is constantly taut and usually life-threatening. Not a book to put down once you pick it up.

But the main reason I'll come back to Kenzie & Gennaro: I like them. They're screwed up people who screw up and then try to fix it. They fail and it's sometimes their fault. But they try to make sense of their stark world and do the right thing with the sense they've made. I want to meet up with them again. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
This is the first of a truly classic detective series based in Boston. The subsequent volumes are, in order:
(2) Darkness, Take My Hand
(3) Sacred
(4) Gone, Baby Gone
(5) Prayers for Rain
(6) Moonlight Mile
This author also wrote Shutter Island and Mystic River which, with Gone, Baby Gone have been made into excellent movies.
  abycats | May 11, 2018 |
Just purely fun reading. Excellent book, considering it was his first. Hell, excellent, no matter if it was his first or most recent. Funny characters. Found myself chuckling as it held my attention. ( )
  ppmarkgraf | May 5, 2018 |
This novel is dedicated to my parents, Michael and Ann Lehane, and to Lawrence Corcoran, S.J.
My earliest memories involve fire.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380726238, Mass Market Paperback)

Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro are tough private investigators who know the blue-collar neighborhoods and ghettos of Boston's Dorchester section as only natives can. Working out of an old church belfry, Kenzie and Gennaro take on a seemingly simple assignment for a prominent politician: uncover the whereabouts of Jenna Angeline, a black cleaning woman who has allegedly stolen confidential Statehouse documents. But finding Jenna proves easy compared to staying alive once they have. The investigation escalates, implicating members of Jenna's family and rival gang leaders, while uncovering extortion, assassination, and child prostitution extending from bombed-out ghetto streets to the highest levels of state government.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:35 -0400)

Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro are private investigators in the blue-collar neighborhoods and ghettos of South Boston--they know it as only natives can. Working out of an old church belfry, Kenzie and Gennaro take on a seemingly simple assignment for a prominent politician: uncover the where-abouts of Jenna Angeline, a black cleaning woman who has allegedly stolen confidential state documents. Finding Jenna is easy compared to staying alive once they've got her. --from back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible