Darkness, Take My Hand (Patrick…

Darkness, Take My Hand (Patrick Kenzie/Angela Gennaro Novels) (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Dennis Lehane

Member:Skaidon
Title:Darkness, Take My Hand (Patrick Kenzie/Angela Gennaro Novels)
Authors:Dennis Lehane
Info:HarperTorch (1997), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:****1/2

Darkness, Take My Hand by Dennis Lehane (1996)

English (50)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (54)
Dennis Lehane is now added to my list of favorite authors. I love his characters and the nightmares they find themselves in. I recommend him, highly. ( )
  ppmarkgraf | May 5, 2018 |
First 75% of the book was great. Lehane is a wonderful writer, and I learned a lot from reading this book.

I don't mind violence, but this was over the top, and too extreme to be believable.

I'd say more, but I can't do so without giving things away. ( )
  TromboneAl | May 4, 2018 |
Si el primer libro dejó marcados a nuestros protagonistas, éste lo multiplica.

En el primer libro, A Drink Before the War, Lehane teje una trama que mezcla el poder político con las guerras entre gangas afroamericanas como una excusa para que Patrick Kenzie medite y reflexione sobre su vida pasada, sus prejuicios presentes y su postura futura. Mientras que en el que acabo de leer, Darkness, Take My Hand, el autor amenaza directamente a los protagonistas y los suelta a una búsqueda que puede resultar en fatalidades y daños emocionales (y físicos) permanentes.

Darkness, Take My Hand empieza con un prólogo desgarrador, Patrick narra cómo se siente después de los eventos que se leerá en el libro. Cicatrices, personajes que ya no están, nombres que desconoces y un desfile de eventos que tienen que ver -o no- con lo que se narrará. Un arranque que te pondrá al filo de la navaja, al margen de tu asiento, la espalda a la pared.

Está de más decir que Dennis Lehane ha creado a unos protagonistas multi-dimensionales, y hasta los personajes secundarios resaltan sobre el papel y acaban siendo memorables de una forma u otra.

En lo personal, el único defecto del libro es que descubrí -como a la mitad- quien era el villano. Aún así, ésto no le quitó nada al producto final.

Darkness, Take My Hand se merece sus cinco estrellas completitas, es algo que no tuve ni que detenerme a pensar.

Ya empecé a leer Sacred, el tercero de la serie. ( )
  JorgeLC | Apr 28, 2018 |
Great dialog; great descriptions that place the reader into the setting of the narrative. I liked the book,but the 'shoot-em-up' ending is always a disappointment. I think some of Lehanes' more recent novels are much better. ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Jan 3, 2018 |
In this book Patrick has started a relationship with Grace, a young doctor with a daughter, and Angie has divorced Phil. But their life will soon be turned upside down. A psychiatrist hires Angie and Patrick to watch over her son who she is scared is a target by the Irish mafia. But they never imagine what the case will do to their life...

This book grabbed a hold of me from the beginning and kept its hold until the end. The first book was good, this book was awesome. The story was tragic, disturbing and thrilling. It’s strange when I’m really into a book, then I don’t know what to write, but when a book is bad, then I have a lot to write. A part of me is still so taken with the story that I’m having trouble leaving Kenzie & Gennaro's world behind and move on with another book. But I thought I would wait a bit with Sacred and finish of the other books I have started…but it is hard... ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
We should be thankful we cannot see the horrors and degradations lying around our childhood, in cupboards and bookshelves, everywhere.
--Graham Greene, The Power and the Glory
This novel is dedicated to Mal Ellenburg and Sterling Watson for a thousand good arguments about the nature of the craft and the nature or the beast.
When I was a kid, my father took me up on the roof of a freshly burned building.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380726289, Mass Market Paperback)

In Darkness, Take My Hand, Dennis Lehane gives readers an authentic view of the Boston suburb of Dorchester, the scene of A Drink Before the War, winner of the Shamus Award from the Private Eye Writers of America. Dorchester, a solid blue-collar town with no shortage of good spots at which to sully up to the bar for a beer, is tarnished by a 20-year string of strangely similar killings. Patrick Kenzie, a local, becomes the improbable hero of this tale when he makes it his business to solve the slayings. The characters he encounters in Dorchester, with their distinctive accents and colorful pasts, make this mystery not only thrilling, but wildly entertaining.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:35 -0400)

A man is murdered in Boston by crucifixion, recalling a similar murder 20 years earlier for which a killer is serving time in prison. So it can't be him, or can it? As bodies pile up PIs Angela Dimassi Gennaro and Patrick Kenzie go to work. By the author of A Drink Before the War.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,024,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible