Complusion by Jonathan Kellerman

Complusion (2008)

by Jonathan Kellerman

Series: Alex Delaware (22)

Recently added byprivate library, BrannonSmith, reginaplove, Erina39, Terri-Scarberry, hrcentre, tyringham

English (37)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (39)
Another great offering from a master in psychological-themed thrillers, this book delves into the a shape shifter and seemingly unconnected murders. It features Alex Delaware and a newly-healed Milo Sturgis, and starts with a tipsy twit who thought her other friend was going to be the designated driver for the evening.

Then there is a financial genius who mentions his luxury car was stolen but returned, and a request by a condemned death row inmate who can offer the whereabouts for a missing 15 year old young man, and you have threads and twists of those threads that kept my attention riveted.

What I like about Kellerman's writing is how well and compassionately he draws his characters. Yes, Alex and Milo are able to pull all-nighters and speak in coherent sentences the next day, which is a trademark of any detective fiction, but throw in a whiny son and a sex-changed prostitute and a potential suspect who seems to disappear and re-appear at will, and I found myself reading "just one more" to find out what, really, was going to happen next. ( )
  threadnsong | May 4, 2017 |
Review: “Compulsion” by Jonathan Kellerman. It started out slow then flowed smoothly up to the slow drawn out ending. I feel this wasn’t one of Jonathan Kellerman’s best but still a good read.

It started out with a missing young girl which led to a stolen Bentley. Then the story moves on to a witness claiming a man about the age of 40, getting out of a luxurious Mercedes ran up to an older lady and murdered her while she was walking out into her driveway to retrieve her morning newspaper. As the psychologist/detective Alex Delaware begins his investigation on these two incidents he also has a sixteen year old unsolved mystery of a young teenage boy disappearing while selling magazines house to house re-opened that he was working on.

The story reminded me of a Sherlock Holmes book. Interesting, intriguing, suspense, and having a mastermind put together all the connections and confusion of disguises and compulsions……
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Clearly this author is not for me. Many people like him but this book fell flat for me. I had a really hard time staying interested and finishing this book. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
A good thriller. I liked the end about the dot.com guy. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 23, 2016 |
Several seemingly unrelated murders tied together loosely, initially only by the fact that the killer seems to like extravagant black cars. Despite this being an abridged audio, I felt that it flowed fairly well, with the exception of a rather quick & tidy ending.

Despite the lukewarm reviews for this one, I enjoyed it -- certainly enough to read more of Jonathan Kellerman and his Alex Delaware series. ( )
  indygo88 | Jan 16, 2016 |

Jonathan Kellermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Piélat, ThierryTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gina Centrello
Kat loved breaking the rules.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345465288, Mass Market Paperback)

Once again, the depths of the criminal mind and the darkest side of a glittering city fuel #1 New York Times bestselling author Jonathan Kellerman’s brilliant storytelling. And no one conducts a more harrowing and suspenseful manhunt than the modern Sherlock Holmes of the psyche, Dr. Alex Delaware.

A tipsy young woman seeking aid on a desolate highway disappears into the inky black night. A retired schoolteacher is stabbed to death in broad daylight. Two women are butchered after closing time in a small-town beauty parlor. These and other bizarre acts of cruelty and psychopathology are linked only by the killer’s use of luxury vehicles and a baffling lack of motive. The ultimate whodunits, these crimes demand the attention of LAPD detective Milo Sturgis and his collaborator on the crime beat, psychologist Alex Delaware.

What begins with a solitary bloodstain in a stolen sedan quickly spirals outward in odd and unexpected directions, leading Delaware and Sturgis from the well-heeled center of L.A. society to its desperate edges; across the paths of commodities brokers and transvestite hookers; and as far away as New York City, where the search thaws out a long-cold case and exposes a grotesque homicidal crusade. The killer proves to be a fleeting shape-shifter, defying identification, leaving behind dazed witnesses and death–and compelling Alex and Milo to confront the true face of murderous madness.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

LAPD detective Milo Sturgis and psychologist Alex Delaware must solve a series of murders involving the use of expensive black automobiles at the scene of the crimes. And what does a child missing for sixteen years have to do with their search for the perpetrator?… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,831,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible